Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

Greek week has just kicked off at Lidl so will be stocking up on the gyros.
Just had the Greek week here. Possibly the worst selection of stuff Lidl have ever done. Gyros tasted irony, Greek yogurt worse than the normal stuff they do.
Normally like the specials and the Asian and Italian weeks were great. Greek not so good.

Just had the Greek week here. Possibly the worst selection of stuff Lidl have ever done. Gyros tasted irony, Greek yogurt worse than the normal stuff they do.
Normally like the specials and the Asian and Italian weeks were great. Greek not so good.
Butter beans in tomato sauce were still lush, though.

Last edited:
Brexit is worrying for LIDL.

I suppose we can expect sharp price rises, dumping of poor quality products on UK stores. It will likely ruin the chain.
Lidl/Aldi don't do, poor quality products

I would venture, it's more worrying for the big chains. Lidl UK try to source as much local produce as they can, I still get pissed off with the description "Discounters" for both Aldi and Lidl. It's a deliberate ploy by the big boys, to infer that Lidl/Aldi are 'pile it high/sell it cheap operations, when what they should be saying is "Reduced Inventory". It helps to disguise the fact that all the larger chains are stocking things like, meat produce from NZ, all of which is Halal, unlike Lidl which won't stock halal meat and, I understand Aldi are changing their local suppliers to go non-halal.

Sainsburys,Tesco and Waitrose are pooping themselves in Ashford,Kent. We already have a very popular Lidl, and opening this Summer is an Aldi store, lubbly jubbly! :boogie:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

I would venture, it's more worrying for the big chains. Lidl UK try to source as much local produce as they can, I still get pissed off with the description "Discounters" for both Aldi and Lidl. It's a deliberate ploy by the big boys, to infer that Lidl/Aldi are 'pile it high/sell it cheap operations, when what they should be saying is "Reduced Inventory". It helps to disguise the fact that all the larger chains are stocking things like, meat produce from NZ, all of which is Halal, unlike Lidl which won't stock halal meat and, I understand Aldi are changing their local suppliers to go non-halal.
Just a quicky, ALdi lemonade 2ltr bottle 33p and it's the best lemonade I've tasted since I was a kid. Tesco 50p and doesent taste half as nice.
I rather like ALdi and Lidle.

Sainsburys,Tesco and Waitrose are pooping themselves in Ashford,Kent. We already have a very popular Lidl, and opening this Summer is an Aldi store, lubbly jubbly! :boogie:
I think there winning model is that they sell a very small range of items. I have not had a bad bit of beef from Lidl but if I wanted X flavoured mustard they will only have English. I don't think it will be that bad, we have 2 Aldis, a Lidl, Tesco, Sainsbury, M&S, Asda and a Morisons all within 4 miles of each other.

The Aldi, Lidl. model seems to be, a small product inventory, with a different set of products on special, to keep the whole concept, interesting.

I like it, I'm in the position I can buy when I'm not quite ready, but know I'll need it soon

Just back after an extended trip to one of the world's shitholes. Nip down to the Lidl to stock the cupboards...Greek week...bugger! Its a personal thing but for me good food stops when you cross the Italian eastern border and doesn't begin again until one reaches Asia. Oh well, never mind, its Italian week next week. I do hope Brexit doesn't bugger up British week which generally kicks in at Christmas and at least one other time during the year.

Just back after an extended trip to one of the world's shitholes. Nip down to the Lidl to stock the cupboards...Greek week...bugger! Its a personal thing but for me good food stops when you cross the Italian eastern border and doesn't begin again until one reaches Asia. Oh well, never mind, its Italian week next week. I do hope Brexit doesn't bugger up British week which generally kicks in at Christmas and at least one other time during the year.
What sort of the things does it sell for British week?

What sort of the things does it sell for British week?
Steak and Stilton pies, cod in crumbly stuff, cod and chips, steak and ale pies, oatcakes, proper cheddar cheese, assorted British jams and marmalades, Stilton, scones, apple and caramel tart, rhubarb tart, lamb, some hams, shortbread to mention just a few.

Brexit is worrying for LIDL.

I suppose we can expect sharp price rises, dumping of poor quality products on UK stores. It will likely ruin the chain.
Yes, because they will be absolutely desperate to lose market share to competitors. It's what all retail supermarket chains dream about.

Are you a remainer, by any chance?

I love Lidl Cloudy Apple Juice, their fresh OJ takes some beating as well. The two 'German' shops aren't infallible but for value and, quality (I keep telling the sceptics "Germans don't buy rubbish"), they are hard to beat, people that have never shopped there, need to take the plunge. We now have very expensive cars parking in Lidl and, it would appear that the Lidl logo has lost it's stigma and, is now the sign of a 'savvy shopper'. ;)

Yes. Aldi / Lidl do not have the variety of say Tesco, but what they do have is far better quality. Some of the wines that they sell are bloody superb tbh. I'm a convert, hopefully pretty soon they'll open one up a little nearer to my place.

Lidl are opening a store in Leek it was formerly a Waitrose store

After being ripped off for Gillette (and other brands) razor blades (3 or 4 quid a bloody blade) I got a Lidl Shark razor and blades. Razor was €4 and a pack of blades €4.99 for 4 so about €1.25 a blade.
They are a 5 blade cartridge that fits on quite easily.
Gave a very good shave for a lot less than the GIllette ones. However, one problem. They have a "trimming" blade (for sideburns, moustaches etc) but it sticks out the top of the blade. Shaving up to the ear and almost cut my earlobe off. Lord knows who designed this thing (probably a woman) but the thing is sodding well dangerous.
I've stuck some masking tape over the protruding bit for use in the future but doubt I'll be buying refills.

However, one problem. They have a "trimming" blade (for sideburns, moustaches etc) but it sticks out the top of the blade. Shaving up to the ear and almost cut my earlobe off. Lord knows who designed this thing (probably a woman) but the thing is sodding well dangerous.
I use the same razor. Do you know, up until your post I never realised that there was a trimming blade as you described. I had to go to the bathroom and check. You're absolutely right.

I think that my total ignorance of its existence might indicate that it is not a problem for everyone.

Aldi and Lidl operate on a productivity process, thus allowing the reduction in prices. One massively differs from the other in the special range choice and size.

On Brexit over 90% of fruit, veg, meat etc is sourced from the U.K.

Remember folks both of these discounters are rammed 5 days out of 7, those that pack at the tills irritate the others in the que, not the till operator.

They run on 5 staff till midday, then swap shifts till 10, might be additional coverage on the shop floor but most stores have 6-8 tills.

So my sister says