Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I went into the local Lidl and the Barolo was still £11.99 in there.
The Barolo and Shiraz are on offer 10-12 December inclusive. Quite often Lidl put a selection of the items on "Super Weekend" in a specific place usually near the door and show them as marked down, but don't bother marking down the rest of the items that they've left in their usual places around the shop. They should be at the discounted price even if they're not shown as discounted.

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Just a slight warning. I paid a visit to LIDL today. One of the items I bought was one of their own brand (Deluxe) Melton Mowbray pork pies. I can honestly say that I have never had such an awful pork pie - and I've eaten industrial pork pies made by Wall's and Robirch. Instead of the meat being moist, plump, smooth and glossy, the filling had a strangely rough and granular texture. Horrible.

As it has Melton Mowbray in the title, I assume that it is made on their behalf in the PGI area by someone who ought to know what they're doing. Perhaps they have their own small plant.

I usually like LIDL own brand stuff, but it just shows that you need to be selective. How can you manage to fûck up a pork pie?
They can be hit and miss sometimes and agree about the pork pies - not the best. The Silesian sausages are excellent however as are their Deluxe range of pies, the non-pork variety.

endure

GCM
The Barolo and Shiraz are on offer 10-12 December inclusive. Quite often Lidl put a selection of the items on "Super Weekend" in a specific place usually near the door and show them as marked down, but don't bother marking down the rest of the items that they've left in their usual places around the shop. They should be at the discounted price even if they're not shown as discounted.
Just had a look on their website. Barolo and Shiraz are Scotland and Wales only. We've got cheapo Bordeaux reduced from £4.49 to £2.99 in England :(

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Just had a look on their website. Barolo and Shiraz are Scotland and Wales only. We've got cheapo Bordeaux reduced from £4.49 to £2.99 in England :(
That explains it. Here in the Western Territory, thanks to those tw@ts in the Senedd alcohol is priced by the following formula meaning the days of a sub-£4 bottle of wine even on offer are long gone.

How to calculate the minimum price for an alcoholic drink​

The Act includes a formula for how the applicable minimum price must be calculated. This formula is made up of the MUP (50p), the percentage strength of the alcohol and its volume.

MUP (£0.5) x Strength (%) x Volume (litres) = minimum price at which it can be sold.

For example, the calculation of the minimum price for a 70cl bottle of vodka of 40% ABV strength would be:
  • 50p (MUP) x 40 (Strength) x 0.7 (Volume): 0.5 X 40 X 0.7 = £14.00

The minimum price this bottle of vodka could be sold is £14.00.

(from the Welsh Govt. website)

As I've said on here before this gives the ridiculous situation where Lidl's excellent 8 year old Queen Margot blend is £14.99 for 70cl (£12.99 in England) while the okish 3 year old blend is £14.00 for 70cl (£10.99 in England). For £16.99 you can upgrade to one of the superb Ben Bracken single malts (same price across the UK as it is above the minimum pricing.)

I've just had a look at the Aldi whiskey selection and they have some interesting ones including a Japanese one which I might try. If anything Aldi's Highland Black blends (3 and 8 year old) are better than the Lidl ones but Aldi don't do the £2 and £10 off vouchers like Lidl do on their app so i don't go there often anymore.

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
By the way the Bordeaux was quite good last time I bought it when it was on Super Weekend. The Pinot Noir is also very good as is the Argentinian Malbec abd Cotes DU Rhone, and if I'm feeling flush and they're on offer, the Chianti Reserva and Rioja Reserva are favourites. I know rock all about wine though - as long as it's better than what I would put on my chips, it has a nice label and it's not too expensive then I'll drink it.

In Tesco today, I see that their very tasty Chilean Carmenere (#2,198 above) has gone up by a quid to £8, presumably to boost profits over Christmas. But as there’s another 25%-off-six offer on just now, you could still get it for £6 that way, as part of a mixed bag if preferred. Highly recommended.

Not on their website yet, but in their super week end on 23rd Dec, they're selling this for £3:99 a bottle........ near as dammit champagne, and it's excellent, had it last year, and well worth a punt.

Splash it on, 'arry.

endure

GCM
In our local Sainsburys at the moment you can buy a bottle of Catena Malbec for £12.
Sitting right next to it on the same shelf are half bottles of Catena Malbec reduced from £6 to £4 ;-)

On offer in Waitrose £1.25 ( I think )
20220109_174204.jpg

A new Lidl has opened near us so we gave it a try...

20220128_142719.jpg

20220128_142734.jpg

20220128_142835.jpg

Bought 3 days ago, into the fridge within 20 minutes, opened yesterday and mouldy today.

Looks like it's back to Aldi...

They rarely sell bad food and they give instant refunds......

I took a lobster back a while ago, complaining there wasn't enough meat in it.

Refund, and keep the almost full lobby.

Could be the packaging was pierced and the protective gas had gone, it's happened to me with Aldi mussels, fortunately I realised in time, a lot more dangerous than a little mould on cheese.

They rarely sell bad food and they give instant refunds......

I took a lobster back a while ago, complaining there wasn't enough meat in it.

Refund, and keep the almost full lobby.

Could be the packaging was pierced and the protective gas had gone, it's happened to me with Aldi mussels, fortunately I realised in time, a lot more dangerous than a little mould on cheese.
i love mouldy cheese

A new Lidl has opened near us so we gave it a try...

View attachment 635098

View attachment 635099

View attachment 635100
Bought 3 days ago, into the fridge within 20 minutes, opened yesterday and mouldy today.

Looks like it's back to Aldi...

Cheese is not designed to live in fridges - nor is it designed to live in centrally-heated houses.
It likes to be kept cool.

If it grows mould, you dont need to throw it away - just scrape the mould off the outside and place it somewhere cool.

I buy Brie every now and then , keep it in a cool place - not a fridge - and when that end of the house smells like only what a ripe Brie can .....
..... its ready for eating.

" Pass the crackers and burgundy .... "

Latest Threads