Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Lidl had two brandies, cheaper one was rough as a badgers bum but slightly more expensive was eminently drinkable. From the same brand they now have a cognac, nearly £17 a bottle but really nice :)

Lidl had two brandies, cheaper one was rough as a badgers bum but slightly more expensive was eminently drinkable. From the same brand they now have a cognac, nearly £17 a bottle but really nice :)
I'd just like to compliment you on your perspicacious signature block.

I'll give the brandy a go.

endure

GCM
25% off 6 at Sainsburys again. A bottle worth trying is the Dark Horse Merlot. Californian rather than French and unlike French merlot it's quite strong (14.5%) and very 'grippy'.

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
25% off 6 at Sainsburys again. A bottle worth trying is the Dark Horse Merlot. Californian rather than French and unlike French merlot it's quite strong (14.5%) and very 'grippy'.
Like velcro?

That's a rip off. ^~

Substituting alcohol for taste, possibly. The high alcohol wines of all sorts can be extremely nice, but many with a little less chemical and a bit more grape can be far more satisfying. I noted one Spanish wine here a few months ago which rocked me on my feet, but I don't think it was over 12.5%.

has anyone on here tried the Dark Horse

more to the point , is the offer available in Scotland? (land of uncontrolled alcoholism apparently )

endure

GCM
has anyone on here tried the Dark Horse

more to the point , is the offer available in Scotland? (land of uncontrolled alcoholism apparently )
Scotland isn't part of the 25% off. There are three Dark Horses (Merlot, Malbec and Cab Sauv) and they're quite good.

"Never trust anything that doesn't have a cork in it." - Sir Henry Rawlinson. (Vivian Stanshall's fictional character, not the scholar)
Now that is a cracking listen!
586C4155-4C01-4969-8A5E-48892B173884.png

Scotland isn't part of the 25% off. There are three Dark Horses (Merlot, Malbec and Cab Sauv) and they're quite good.
no point in a trip to Sainsburys in Kirkcaldy or leven then

Excuse the thread drift, but Tesco are also giving a 25% discount on six or more, probably into next week. They have a very moreish 'finest' 2019 Chilean Carmenere from Concha y Toro*, good value even at the original price of £7 and a real bargain at £5.25. With an ABV of 14% it's relatively strong, but its rich fruit more than compensates. I got a dozen, most of them to be laid down for two or three years, when they'll be even better. Open a couple of hours before drinking or, better still, decant.

* If you've ever wondered just how good South American wine can be, and are prepared to forgo a week in Benidorm to find out, try the Concha/Rothschild Almaviva, preferably from a 10 years+ vintage. It'll knock your socks off.

Excuse the thread drift, but Tesco are also giving a 25% discount on six or more, probably into next week. They have a very moreish 'finest' 2019 Chilean Carmenere from Concha y Toro*, good value even at the original price of £7 and a real bargain at £5.25. With an ABV of 14% it's relatively strong, but its rich fruit more than compensates. I got a dozen, most of them to be laid down for two or three years, when they'll be even better. Open a couple of hours before drinking or, better still, decant.

* If you've ever wondered just how good South American wine can be, and are prepared to forgo a week in Benidorm to find out, try the Concha/Rothschild Almaviva, preferably from a 10 years+ vintage. It'll knock your socks off.
LIDL have been selling Calavados over the last week. The missus poison of choice.
Bought a few, that will keep her going well into the future.

Latest Threads