Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

With the amount of Russians around here with EU passports I would suggest buying shares
I shall make sure to pop in and check it out when it opens and let you all know how it is, mind you, I have visions of the Spitting Image Moscow Spud-U-Like sketch going on in my head.

Paddling.

Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated.

We’re near Southampton. Last year we took the board out on Eling creek and Calshot, but looking to go further afield, once the weather improves, being fair weather paddlers.

The Mistral arrived Friday, and quite pleased with the purchase. Look like what Lidl have done is get it made under licence since whilst it’s Mistral, it comes with Lidl style instruction manual and packaging.

A wider question is the great Taramasalata shortage.

Went to Morrisons, Aldi, two CO-OP's today, not a tub to be had.
I blame the E.U.
Much to my surprise there actually is a Taramasalata shortage.
Apparently demand has fallen off and many retailers are no longer stocking.
Anyway remembered I had a can of cod roe that has been in the cupboard for years.
So made some, took about 10 minutes.
Excellent and not that lurid pink colour.

Just checked the B.B.E date on the can 2013!!!
Well matured.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Much to my surprise there actually is a Taramasalata shortage.
Apparently demand has fallen off and many retailers are no longer stocking.
Anyway remembered I had a can of cod roe that has been in the cupboard for years.
So made some, took about 10 minutes.
Excellent and not that lurid pink colour.

Just checked the B.B.E date on the can 2013!!!
Well matured.

Eight-year-old fish eggs? Isn't that just food poisoning on a plate?

Eight-year-old fish eggs? Isn't that just food poisoning on a plate?
Not if it's canned.

How Long Does Canned Food Last? ... Here's the good news: Canned goods actually last indefinitely if they're kept in good condition, according to the USDA (U.S Department of Agriculture) . But that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll still taste optimal ten years from now!

The only items we've had a problem with are tinned tomato products which eat soldered seams and baked beans. Easily spotted the tomatoes leak and the bean cans expand.

Have heard of tinned peas exploding, but I think that is down to contam at packing not age.
Probably applies to anything in a tin.

Last edited:
Not if it's canned.

How Long Does Canned Food Last? ... Here's the good news: Canned goods actually last indefinitely if they're kept in good condition, according to the USDA (U.S Department of Agriculture) . But that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll still taste optimal ten years from now!

The only items we've had a problem with are tinned tomato products which eat soldered seams and baked beans. Easily spotted the tomatoes leak and the bean cans expand.

Have heard of tinned peas exploding, but I think that is down to contam at packing not age.
Probably applies to anything in a tin.
Let’s get that out onto a tray... Nice.

I mentioned the Douro in one of the Brexit threads - but both of these were recommended in the Sunday Times and are good enough for my palette.
46A567A5-7428-4D98-AC98-7543CDA0DBD7.jpeg
B573D4A6-DA2F-4553-BF9B-4D6CFD59229A.jpeg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
So there I was trotting off to Lidl to get there for when they opened, arriving at 8.15am all excited in anticipation at getting a Mistral paddle board package for £199.00, when their usual price is in the £600.00 range to find they'd all been sold out. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There was another chap who arrived a couple of minutes before me who was also after one but missed out.

We both started chatting to one of the cashiers/shelf stackers and she said the queue started at 7am with one guy buying 4 (the store had 12 delivered for sale so a a large chunk of their allotted amount) which I'm guessing some will go on ebay

We got a paddle board last year and really enjoyed chugging about on it on the sheltered waters near us, and this one would have been for t'otha 'alf since it had a seat attachment which would have suited her.

Lesson learned. Next year turning up at 6am, with deck chair and a flask of coffee. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
And the staff will be on them too, found a double suspension mountain bike a few years back being advertised at Aldi, got there the morning they went on sale, was first in the queue and first in the shop to find that they'd all been sold, staff bought the f'kin lot!