Black Eye Friday

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by philc, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Never heard off this before but visiting N.Yorkshire and has been the talk off town for the week.

Seems all the builders, plasterers, chippies etc all get in to town for lunchtime and drink themselves daft and then punch ups start. Later shop and factory workers join the festivities and a jolly night is had by all.

Anyone else have the last Friday before xmas festivities called this?

2. I've been told that there used to be a '5th Friday' here in Colonial times.

The Govenor, GOC, and various bigwigs would get together for a lunch and their ADC's, knowing it would be a long lunch, used to go off themselves and get hammered.

I knew a company here (Edinburgh Financial Publishing) who carried on the tradition after 1997 - every 5th Friday all the staff would go and get hammered at lunchtime, with the rallying call 'what can they do?' - meaning as ALL the staff were getting trollied the boss couldn't sack them all.

3. Never heard of Black Eye Friday, but down here in pissy, pissy S.Wales it's called Black Friday.

EVERYONE goes out on the piss (well the silly ones do anyway) early in the afternoon and get bladdered. Resulting in your normal Friday night antics turned up to eleven.

I'll shall be joining the festivities/fracas myself at about 12.30.

• Like Like x 1
  4. We don't do such things south of the M4

5. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Sorry Miner, but it will be all over by 1114... best you nip down to the Pub now and get them in... mine's a treble. Thanks.

6. I am going in to town for a few beers and a curry, hopefully it will have calmed down by 9ish.

7. I suppose even you Southerners don't start drinking your Babychams until after 6.00 p.m.

8. Used to be one of the best nights of the year to be in work. If fighting with, and laughing at, the piss heads was your thing.

Here, everyone has several beers, watches re runs of hockey and then drives home pissed.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

9. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

I told The Scarey One that I wasn't going to go Christmas shopping and get her a present... fuck me, that really has resulted in the end of the world, riders of horses and the smell of sulphour.

• Like Like x 1
  10. In Newcastle they call it Black Eye Friday, in Huddersfield, I heard it called Mad Friday, and on a series about bouncers in Bristol, it was Nasty Friday. It was the day that bar staff, doorstaff, A&E staff, coppers and ambulance crews dreaded. People knocking off at lunchtime, and going straight in the boozer. Now, most of these do not normally drink in town, but in their local pubs, but they work in town, or have to pass through town to get home. So, the town centre pubs have twice as many people in as usual. Also, most of us stick to beer/lager/cider all year, and now we're on the whisky, gin and vodka.

By teatime, it's all kicked off. How the fuck did going out for a drink with mates end up with someone getting twatted, nicked, or split up with their other half?

I don't knock off til 2000hrs tonight, so I will see all the carnage as I walk home through Newcastle this evening.

11. I've know it as 'Knock Off Friday' but never 'Black Eye Friday'.

Still the end result is the same. Knock off early and go on the lash, get drunk and stagger home.

Q.

12. Dreaded? It was the best laugh of the year. But yeah, it did get mental.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

13. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Black eye friday here. Insane, it's like amatuer hour with vomit and lunatics who want to fight.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using ARRSE mobile app

14. Sounds like a normal Friday in Main Building.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Christmas eve is normally fight night round my end. All the achievers with ambition who left 20 years earlier to go to university turn up for family xmas and all the bitter stupid minimum wage psychos that never left town clash in a tsunami of alcohol, bad feeling, bitterness and 20 year feuds over un-remembered teenage slights

great fun