"Black Death" came from France ... and what else?

Sitting here, watching Countryfile, on BBC 1, because it is focussing on, nearby, Weymouth and the 2012 Olympic sailing events to be held here, they mentioned the "Black Death". 8O

The Black Death entered Britain, in 1348, via Weymouth. :omg:

It was brought here from FRANCE! :omfg:

WEYMOUTH WEBSITE ABOUT BLACK DEATH

I wonder what other "nasties" can be blamed on France ..........

......... or Weymouth. :omfg:

French Person....

French People!

Audrey Tatou. No more need be said.

Good cheese, specially Pont l'Eveque and Roquefort, taken with a gallon of red wine.

Alizée Jacotey

Some of the dance moves might be a bit suspect but Corsican born Alizée does it for me.

Unfortunately only in my dreams.

It's considered one of the twenty-six regions of France.

Good enough for me.

mistersoft said:
It's considered one of the twenty-six regions of France.

Good enough for me.
Well, Helloooooo Stranger!!!!
Long-time-no-see!
Welcome back. x

Hi bovvy, just a flying visit.

Chips.

Chips are a French invention that has become an British tradition. In the eighteenth century the first ‘pomme frites’ (fried potatoes/chips) were served. 1854 is thought to be the first mention in Britain, when a leading chef included ‘thin cut potatoes cooked in oil’ in his recipe book, Shilling Cookery.

Sacha sodding Distel.

A fine example in how to not take any shit from your government when they try to interfere with your standard of living. Where were the rioting crowds here when our lot handed flippin' great wodges of our cash to the failing Building Society of their choice?

big_mad_ejit said:
It would be more correct to say it came via France just as it came via Weymouth.

AFAIR the Bubonic Plague originated in Mongolia - where it is still found in some of the wildlife.
And you would be absolutely 100% certain that the Mongolians didn't catch Bubonic Plague off the French? :wink: :roll:

Edited to add: I've just Googled AFAIR (thinking it was another term for Bubonic Plague). Then it dawned on me that it is one of those internet acronyms ....... and might mean "as far I remember/recall").

So that means you're not certain.
Anyhow, I was just interpreting what I heard/read.

bovvy said:
big_mad_ejit said:
It would be more correct to say it came via France just as it came via Weymouth.

AFAIR the Bubonic Plague originated in Mongolia - where it is still found in some of the wildlife.
And you would be absolutely 100% certain that the Mongolians didn't catch Bubonic Plague off the French? :roll:

I think you can catch all sorts of things off the French (most of which can be treated with modern antibiotics) :lol:

But I'm pretty sure that the in the 14th century the Black Death spread from East to West