Bizarre Computer Problem

My computer has taken it upon itself to do some bizarre things of late.

As I sit happily internetting away, all of a sudden the calculator program opens for no apparent reason. Equally strangely is the fact that the DVD drawer (slidey-in-and-out-thingy) opens of it's own accord on occasion.

Has anyone got any idea why this is happening?

Regards
T_T

Tartan_Terrier said:

As I sit happily internetting away, all of a sudden the calculator program opens for no apparent reason. Equally strangely is the fact that the DVD drawer (slidey-in-and-out-thingy) opens of it's own accord on occasion.

Regards
T_T
I don't have a clue, but now I have a problem you just wrecked my keyboard, that was hilarious!

Tartan_Terrier said:

Regards
T_T
Yes, it sounds like you have some 'joke' programs installed.

What antivirus do you have installed?

msr

I've got AVG anti-virus and Sunbelt for my firewall.

Tartan_Terrier said:

Regards
T_T
Try these guys.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405.html

If it's not malware it's gremlins. Don't worry. Some stale beer in a saucer should entice them out.

Either that or 'tis cruft and a rebuild-from-known-good job. Check here for the official taxonomy.

Download (free) HighJackThis, SpyBot Search & Destroy and Adaware. Run each program in sequence. If you have a problem understanding the readout from HJT the help file is very good but you may want to post the report on techguy.com. Instead of buying and anti-virus program, download AVG (free) and you may want to consider downloading ZoneAlarm (again free).

All the above can be found on www.download.com

It sounds as if you have a virus/Trojan or bat cookie on your machine. The above progs should locate and remove it, and also stop anything like that appearing on your PC again.

JJ

Do you have a wireless keyboard etc :? if so the send \receive unit may be picking up another keyboard . how to get round it , don't know, other than change back to wired to see if the poltergeist gos . I have a poltergeist in my house because they all say :twisted: :twisted: it was not me that did that

hondo said:
Do you have a wireless keyboard etc :? if so the send \receive unit may be picking up another keyboard . how to get round it , don't know, other than change back to wired to see if the poltergeist gos . I have a poltergeist in my house because they all say :twisted: :twisted: it was not me that did that
I do have a wireless keyboard, but I think I should be out of range of the neighbours computer. Could other electronic gear have the same effect?

T_T

I've no suggestions with regard to the calculator issue but when the slidey-in-and-out-thingy opens, this means it's time for a cup of tea.

Tartan_Terrier said:
hondo said:
I do have a wireless keyboard, but I think I should be out of range of the neighbours computer. Could other electronic gear have the same effect?

T_T
Easy enough to test. Set the dip switches on the keyboard and rx unit to something other than the factory default and see if the problems go away.

Some wireless keyboards use HF and have quite a range, better than bowman anyway. :p
Skiddie trojans like BO2k have point-and-click functions for doing joke stuff like that but I doubt you've caught one since the sort of person who uses them doesn't know how to make them undetectable anyway so your AV would catch it.

Steven said:
Easy enough to test. Set the dip switches on the keyboard and rx unit to something other than the factory default and see if the problems go away.
Cheers for that Steven, but ,unfortunately I only speak English, and Danish. Perhaps you could provide a rough translation?

I have two systems one up and one down stairs 10m + apart +walls\floor etc each was running wireless . I loaded a new program onto the up stairs system which some how did something and from that point on what ever was done on the down stairs keyboard was received up stairs . at the time i through i had pick up something and could not get rid of it even after reloading the system from start until some one said it may be the wireless keyboard . now one is wired and the other wireless and on more problems :D :D :D try it with a wired keyboard\mouse only with no wireless attach at all and see what happens

Tartan_Terrier said:
Steven said:
Cheers for that Steven, but ,unfortunately I only speak English, and Danish. Perhaps you could provide a rough translation?
:D Sorry one of the downfalls of working with the stuff all day.

Somewhere on the keyboard and on the recieiving unit there will be a set of small switches, these are normally hidden away next to where the battery is.
You need to put the switches on the recieving unit to something other than the position they came in as both of your keyboards are working on the same settings and might be interfering with each other (oooh matron).

These switches can be put in one of 3 (sometimes 5) positions.

Difficult to do with out a drawing but it goes something like
Switch 1 to position A . Switch 2 to position C. Switch 3 to positon A etc

Now make sure the switches on the keyboard are the same, press the little button to ensure that your PC can see the keyboard.

They look something like this -

Hope that helps.

I had similar probs caused by my Wireless Keyboard, took me ages to track it down, I went down the malware route at first as well. But simply changing to a wired keyboard solved my probs.

Tartan_Terrier said:
hondo said:

T_T
8) Electronic garage door, funny things, mine goes up and down & and gives the bloke next door trouble if his on the nest as his pacemaker goes very fast :D