Bivvy bags.

I see no reason to use anything other than an issue bag.
Hard wearing. Does the job it’s supposed to do. Cheap/free
I used to bivvy at festivals, people stare at you like a mad man but then leave a million tents in the field to be skipped at the end of the weekend.

Closest i’ve Got to a tent is the snugpak stratosphere and incredibly i managed to fit me and the missus in it

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Jack Wolfskin at half the cost of Snugpack ?

Have JW had a total inversion their pricing structure ?
It wasn't long ago when anything with the spoor on it was the equivalent of Arc'teryx.
I got the tent for 55 quid. I think the Snugpak one is 120 ish.

I see no reason to use anything other than an issue bag.
Hard wearing. Does the job it’s supposed to do. Cheap/free
I used to bivvy at festivals, people stare at you like a mad man but then leave a million tents in the field to be skipped at the end of the weekend.

Closest i’ve Got to a tent is the snugpak stratosphere and incredibly i managed to fit me and the missus in it
ETA worrying about “extra weight” to carry is fairly redundant when you have a life threatening BMI
Go faster hyper-lite million quid clobber is like putting a spoiler on an Austin Allegro

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Here is my Jack Wolfskin tent.

Upsides:

It was cheap.
It’s very well made.
Very light and packs down small (for a tent).
Nice to have a little space for getting dressed and administering yourself which you obviously don’t get with a bivvy bag.
Takes about 2 minutes to put up / take down.

Downsides:

It is much bigger than a bivvy bag.
You can’t comfortably fit a Bergan inside the tent as well as yourself.
It’s not tall enough to sit up in.

Horses for courses really. I like it and it suits my needs. It’s been brilliant in some properly shit Lake District weather over the years.

Kids are getting older now and starting to show an interest in wild camping. The day will come when I need to upgrade it to a decent 2 man.

I’ve also got a Gelert Solo which is similar but much cheaper and lower quality. It was only 25 quid and I bought it as a spare for when my mates come bivvying. Not a bad tent for 25 quid at all. Just be prepared to make some hasty black maskers repairs as it’s not that robust.

DC8E004D-BF19-46E5-9689-82A3025D3F55.jpeg
9C5CC572-EFBC-4FF9-A107-BD5C99A5C24E.jpeg
C01FBC3F-8E59-4EA7-B577-0143FB306E6E.jpeg

Last edited:
It's threads like these that need a Bryan.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
ETA worrying about “extra weight” to carry is fairly redundant when you have a life threatening BMI
Go faster hyper-lite million quid clobber is like putting a spoiler on an Austin Allegro
I dunno, if you can shave a few grams off each piece of kit you have, it adds up to an overall better experience and means you have more space / weight for nice little luxuries like BBQ kit, a few beers etc.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This thread has prompted me to have a root around my various stashes of camping / outdoor gear.

**** me I've accumulated some shite over the years.

I’m fairly settled on my current kit set up for adventures now. I’ve got an old issue DPM bergan lined with a canoe sack permanently packed with the following. If the weather is good, I can just grab my kit, jump in the Landy and be in the hills within half an hour.

JW tent
Issue bivvy bag (more as a layer of insulation than for its waterproof qualities)
Snugpak tactical 3 dossbag
Issue roll mat. I used to have a self inflating one but it started leaking.
Jetboil
Jacket (either Montane Prism or This Tribe Kosa depending on how cold it is)
Sealskin gloves
Peter Storm hat
Mozzie spray
Spare merino socks
Clean T shirt / thermal base layer
Map of local area and Silva compass in map case
First Aid kit
An ancient mk1 Gerber
Lighter
Variety of issue ratpack meals that I’ve stolen over the years
Cereal bars
In addition to that I’ll pack some meat, maybe a disposable BBQ, bread, water and beverages on the day.

Most of the places I tend to camp are high up, above the tree line so not a lot of firewood around.

I’m currently in the market for some decent waterproofs. My last lot got wrecked in a motorbike accident and I’ve spent the last couple of years making do with RN issue Gore Tex.

**** it, might hit the hills tonight.

I used one in scotland, still put down my inflatable thermarest inside it and it was fine, does get a bit damp due to condensation but I just dived in a went to sleep, didn’t really bother adjusting my clothing, spent 3 nights in it no issue however, it did not rain.

For the price you may have one uncomfortable night and then you can add to it with a waterproof lightweight tarp but again, probably better finding some trees to tie the tarp to.

They resell for the same price you pay for them on eBay so you have nothing to lose, perhaps just don’t expect them to be bullet proof and comfy on a bog in the rain, it’s roughing it at its best.
Three nights and it did not rain, are you absolutely positive it was Scotland?

Thanks for the advice chaps. I know there are some lovely Gucci civilian bivvies out there for a bundle of cash, but I'm looking at buying an issue one, firstly 'cos they are cheap as chips and secondly, they are generally fit for purpose. How have the issue ones changed over the last few years? I'm assuming they have been updated and the more recent ones are the best?
Dutch Army issue bivvy, made by Carinthia I believe. Mate picked one up, unused, for £80. Used extensively and swears it's the best bit of comfort kit he has ever had.

I dunno, if you can shave a few grams off each piece of kit you have, it adds up to an overall better experience and means you have more space / weight for nice little luxuries like BBQ kit, a few beers etc.
If you are 3 stone overweight loose some ******* weight you can then carry as much booze chocolate, portable jaccuzzis as you want

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
This thread has prompted me to have a root around my various stashes of camping / outdoor gear.

**** me I've accumulated some shite over the years.

I’m fairly settled on my current kit set up for adventures now. I’ve got an old issue DPM bergan lined with a canoe sack permanently packed with the following. If the weather is good, I can just grab my kit, jump in the Landy and be in the hills within half an hour.

JW tent
Issue bivvy bag (more as a layer of insulation than for its waterproof qualities)
Snugpak tactical 3 dossbag
Issue roll mat. I used to have a self inflating one but it started leaking.
Jetboil
Jacket (either Montane Prism or This Tribe Kosa depending on how cold it is)
Sealskin gloves
Peter Storm hat
Mozzie spray
Spare merino socks
Clean T shirt / thermal base layer
Map of local area and Silva compass in map case
First Aid kit
An ancient mk1 Gerber
Lighter
Variety of issue ratpack meals that I’ve stolen over the years
Cereal bars
In addition to that I’ll pack some meat, maybe a disposable BBQ, bread, water and beverages on the day.

Most of the places I tend to camp are high up, above the tree line so not a lot of firewood around.

I’m currently in the market for some decent waterproofs. My last lot got wrecked in a motorbike accident and I’ve spent the last couple of years making do with RN issue Gore Tex.

**** it, might hit the hills tonight.
Off topic have a look at keela for waterproofs

One night in Spanish Pyrenees arrived at Refugio Goriz (about 2000 metres) to find it full, with a howling gale blowing. Tried for an hour to pitch my stormshield tent before giving up and having to sleep in the open on the adjacent campground. Dark by then and too risky to go off to find more shelter among the rocks. Wish I'd had my issue bivvy bag then. Had all my clothes on, but the wind chill and the noise and sensation of gonk bag flapping made for a very uncomfortable night. Thank goodness it didn't rain.
My thoughts now are maybe a lighter sleeping bag, but with a bivvy as an extra layer. Always a chance of getting benighted where you can't pitch a tent.

ETA: I've since repeated this mistake.
Lesson:phone ahead and book a bed space in the hut/go to Menorca for a week instead.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One night in Spanish Pyrenees arrived at Refugio Goriz (about 2000 metres) to find it full, with a howling gale blowing. Tried for an hour to pitch my stormshield tent before giving up and having to sleep in the open on the adjacent campground. Dark by then and too risky to go off to find more shelter among the rocks. Wish I'd had my issue bivvy bag then. Had all my clothes on, but the wind chill and the noise and sensation of gonk bag flapping made for a very uncomfortable night. Thank goodness it didn't rain.
My thoughts now are maybe a lighter sleeping bag, but with a bivvy as an extra layer. Always a chance of getting benighted where you can't pitch a tent.

ETA: I've since repeated this mistake.
Lesson:phone ahead and book a bed space in the hut/go to Menorca for a week instead.
Had a similar experience when I was in the HAC.

I’d been jiffed to man a check point for one of the patrol selection weekends in Brecon.

We arrived at about 2am and the weather was absolutely ******* honking. Torrential sideways rain and very high winds. Me and the other bloke who was manning the checkpoint were unceremoniously dumped at our spot and told to get as much sleep as possible before the first expected recruits came through in the morning.

There was nowhere to hang a basha so we just got in our bivvy bags under a bush, sort of wrapped the poncho around ourselves and did our best to sleep.

Surprisingly not that bad. We got wet, but not completely soaked and we both managed to get some zeds.

Issue bouncing bomb plus issue bivvy sack is quite a formidable combination.

I cut the labels out of all my kit once, following advice from a bivvying book.

Then I felt really silly.

I cut the labels out of all my kit once, following advice from a bivvying book.

Then I felt really silly.
Did you cut the handle off your toothbrush as well?

Had a similar experience when I was in the HAC.

I’d been jiffed to man a check point for one of the patrol selection weekends in Brecon.

We arrived at about 2am and the weather was absolutely ******* honking. Torrential sideways rain and very high winds. Me and the other bloke who was manning the checkpoint were unceremoniously dumped at our spot and told to get as much sleep as possible before the first expected recruits came through in the morning.

There was nowhere to hang a basha so we just got in our bivvy bags under a bush, sort of wrapped the poncho around ourselves and did our best to sleep.

Surprisingly not that bad. We got wet, but not completely soaked and we both managed to get some zeds.

Issue bouncing bomb plus issue bivvy sack is quite a formidable combination.
Being a million years old, I don't know what the current bivvy bag looks like.... Can't you link to one please mate.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
walting_matilda ACF 92
wildcard.rgbw Classified Ads 0
wildcard.rgbw Classified Ads 2