Bivi bags

I've just come into possession of a Dutch army hooped bivi bag. Pretty decent piece of kit all told. I have a question though. Does anyone know what the straps are for that are located on the back/underneath of the bag. There are one on each shoulder, one big one right across the middle and two at the feet. Bearing in mind that when in use these straps will be on the ground, I can't figure out what on gods green earth they are for. It's probably blindingly obvious and if so please feel free to take the complete piss out of me! I'm thinking they may be to hold a bed roll in place.

I'm pretty sure that they are to provide the tension between the two pole ends rather than have the (relatively fragile) material be under tension.

You can also use them to keep the roll mat in place, this protects the material from the ground.

I've just come into possession of a Dutch army hooped bivi bag. Pretty decent piece of kit all told. I have a question though. Does anyone know what the straps are for that are located on the back/underneath of the bag. There are one on each shoulder, one big one right across the middle and two at the feet. Bearing in mind that when in use these straps will be on the ground, I can't figure out what on gods green earth they are for. It's probably blindingly obvious and if so please feel free to take the complete piss out of me! I'm thinking they may be to hold a bed roll in place.
Could the thing double up as a body bag / stretcher?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wildcard.rgbw Classified Ads 7
sneak Weapons, Equipment & Rations 19
Gook Weapons, Equipment & Rations 11