Bit of help needed

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by BiscuitsAB, Nov 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Folks I'm trying to track down some details on an MC winner from the Bruma campaign.

no Rank but details as follows Edward Clarke RAMC MC.

Just doing a favour for the blokes grandson so if anyone can help or point me in the right direction I'd be much oblidged.

2. Have u tried ringing the RAMC museum in aldershot. They have the archives etc there and may be your best chance of finding out.

3. Can't see any MC award from the Burma campaign to someone of that name.

London Gazette 17/12/1917 does have an MC awarded to a T/Capt Edward Clark RAMC.

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I have to thank the Army Medical Services Museum whom I emailed a little over an hour ago. they responded with a copy of the citation.

On 8th Mar 45 near TAMANDU the HQ of the battalion to which Capt CLARKE was attached was heavily shelled whilst moving along a narrow steep sided ridge.

Capt CLARKE's extemperised RAP was also shelled. Heavy casualties and much confusion resulted. Throughout this period, and for many hours afterwards, Capt CLARKE worked unceasingly under extremely difficult conditions and he eventually succeeded in evacuating over 40 casualties before night fell.

on 21 March 1945 at LETMAUK Battalion HQ was heavily mortared and again casualties were heavy in a short space of time. Capt CLARKE worked without taking any notice of the bombs falling around and all the casualties were evacuated successfully and speedily.

This Officer's work has always been of a high order and his devotion to duty has been outstanding. On these two occasions, when he was personally in danger, he went about his work absolutely calmly and with not thought for his personal safety.