Bit of Advice needed

Hi folks,

I left the REME in 2002 after 5 years as a VM, and now i'm settled in civvy life i'm itching to get back in green kit again, albeit part time.

I've narrowed it down to two choices, 103 RA(V) 216bty in Bolton, which is about 5 miles away from me, or 75 Engineers (V) in Warrington.

I've had a search but can't find much on the latter, which i'm kind of leaning toward.

Can any of you tell me what sort of training 75 engineers do and what trades are on offer etc, and when they train etc?

Many thanks :)

Noosh said:
Hi folks,

I left the REME in 2002 after 5 years as a VM, and now i'm settled in civvy life i'm itching to get back in green kit again, albeit part time.

I've narrowed it down to two choices, 103 RA(V) 216bty in Bolton, which is about 5 miles away from me, or 75 Engineers (V) in Warrington.

I've had a search but can't find much on the latter, which i'm kind of leaning toward.

Can any of you tell me what sort of training 75 engineers do and what trades are on offer etc, and when they train etc?

Come down to 216 on Tuesday night.

Much better unit ;)

msr

Forgot to add, don't want to go back as a VM, had enough of spannering to be honest :)

W

wevers

Get urself in the Engineers buddy, although I'm not sure what trades the TA ha sto offer I would of thought it would be pretty similar to the regs in which case the world is your oyster......

msr said:
Noosh said:
Hi folks,

Come down to 216 on Tuesday night.

Much better unit ;)

msr
Knowing a couple of your unit, is it??? :D

Depends which 2 you know ;)

Is that the unit who go on exercise looking like a gypsy camp with missiles sticking out of it?

It seems that the advice that has been given so far has been just a little subjective.

So, for a totally unbiased bit of advice, here's my two pennorth:

RA: Monotony. Same thing all the time. Go to ranges, pick one of the few remaining features, shout a few orders, people dash about, gun goes bang. Wait a bit, watch earth erupt some distance from the feature, hear bang in the distance. More orders, more milling about, another bang. Wait a bit, watch earth erupt some distance from the feature, hear bang in the distance. Repeat until ammo runs out. Clean gun. Go home.

RE: Variety. Something different every time. Build things, break things, make big bangs, achieve the impossible. Regularly.

I think that sums it up.

putteesinmyhands said:
It seems that the advice that has been given so far has been just a little subjective.

RA: Monotony. Same thing all the time. Go to ranges, pick one of the few remaining features, shout a few orders, people dash about, gun goes bang. Wait a bit, watch earth erupt some distance from the feature, hear bang in the distance. More orders, more milling about, another bang. Wait a bit, watch earth erupt some distance from the feature, hear bang in the distance. Repeat until ammo runs out. Clean gun. Go home.

RE: Variety. Something different every time. Build things, break things, make big bangs, achieve the impossible. Regularly.

I think that sums it up.
That's not strictly true:

It's Go home. Clean gun.

:roll:

msr

putteesinmyhands said:

I think that sums it up.
Ironically I can't think of anything as bone crushingly boring as engineering, we have some ex-sappers in our unit who endlessly drone on about bridging kit, seriously can't see the fascination. One guy kept saying the highlight of his tour was during a night were they were doing something at a junction (sorry lost interest at that point) and they had 8 hours of constant illums going up. My highlight was being shot at, but I suppose that's just me

Besides, who the feck would want to join some scabby corps when they can be in The Royal Regiment :D

Royal Regiment of Artillery.

Corps of Royal Engineers.

In the Artillery, its the regiment that's royal. In the RE, it's the soldier who's royal. Nice to get a bit of personal recognition. ;)

By appointment to the monarch. Since 1066. (Poetic licence has been applied for).

Just why aren't RE at the very end of the right of the line? I suspect some Muddy Old Engineer didn't wipe his boots before traipsing across the carpet to collect his knighthood. :wink:

All I can say is cough cough Battle Honour cough cough colours cough cogh

that is all :wink:

wellyhead said:

Now you know very well that collecting battle honours is pure vanity, not at all in keeping with the humble traditions of the RE. Do the job, move on, etc.

Besides, bestowment of battle honours would probably involve a parade along with all the kit pressing and boot polishing that that would entail. No thank you.

I believe that there was talk of going back through the records to have battle honours awarded in retrospect. The idea was scotched when it became apparent that the size of the colours necessary to display them all was bigger than any flagpole then existing. The Americans offered the use of the KVLY-TV mast in North Dakota, but were turned down because i) it's not in Britain, ii) there needs to be another one next to it for the Union Flag, iii) even if there were another one nearby, the Union Flag would look silly (if you could see it).

Anyway, as everybody knows, the RE wear a blue lanyard as a subtle abbreviation of battle honours.

putteesinmyhands said:
wellyhead said:

Now you know very well that collecting battle honours is pure vanity, not at all in keeping with the humble traditions of the RE. Do the job, move on, etc.

Besides, bestowment of battle honours would probably involve a parade along with all the kit pressing and boot polishing that that would entail. No thank you.

I believe that there was talk of going back through the records to have battle honours awarded in retrospect. The idea was scotched when it became apparent that the size of the colours necessary to display them all was bigger than any flagpole then existing. The Americans offered the use of the KVLY-TV mast in North Dakota, but were turned down because i) it's not in Britain, ii) there needs to be another one next to it for the Union Flag, iii) even if there were another one nearby, the Union Flag would look silly (if you could see it).

Anyway, as everybody knows, the RE wear a blue lanyard as a subtle abbreviation of battle honours.
No you wear a blue lanyard as they look natty and so you don't lose your church key