Bit of a skate

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by oldbaldy, Jan 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

An uncle has described his late brother in law 'he was, to put it in Navy vernacular, " a bit of a skate"!'

I have my view on what he means but it's not a term I've come across before. Is/was it something used?
  2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Skate is a word Portsmouth folk use to describe sailors.

Allegedly if you put your knob in a skate (type of fish) it feels a bit like a fanny.
  3. Used to define a useless twat on-board by fellow matelots. I believe the squaddie equivalent of calling someone '******* Jack'. Towards the end of my time in it seemed to develop into a general abusive term for someone who was a little too institutionalised. That used to be the sole term of being 'Jack' in an RN environment.

I may be mistaken by the interpretation of meaning with equivalence to squaddie slang.
  4. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Anyone watch 'Coppers' the other week? Plod was on there talking about the names they get called like pig, bacon, rozzers and such like but told a story about pulling over a geezer for having no insurance and was called 'poo poo' by the delightful ruffian. Said ruffian then got on the phone to Waynetta and told her that 'I've been nicked by the poo poo and they're taking my skate', which apparently means he's been pulled over by the police and they're taking his car away.
  5. It`s a phrase which has been around for donkeys years, in civvy speak it`s always meant 'tight fisted' ie: keeps his money to himself.
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

That one makes sense as he also said he would have got on well with my old man who was tight as a ducks rear end!!

Mind you the incident that brought it up was when he was 24 hrs late reporting to the RA Depot at Woolwich in 1944. Various correspendence lead to a letter from MOD to 21 Army Group saying there was a problem with gunner officers arriving late & would they 'take any appropriate action' against him, they were a bit late though, the letter was dated the day after he was killed in Holland!
  7. Hence "cheapskate"
    • Like Like x 1