• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Bit of a push needed

#1
Alrite lads. I have wanted to join the army for a few years now but just been finishin education off. I want to join the infantry and have organised a selection date. Passed the barb etc. Anyway, the only thing that puts doubt in my mind is the homesickness thing. How long does that feeling take to go away? And as of yet i havn't actually spoke to a modern day soldier. My grandad was in the army but obv it must of changed a lot in 50 years. Could a past or present serviceman shine some light on the advantages and disadvantages of being in the infantry please. Thanks.
 
#2
I'm going to sound like a recruiting ad now, but you'll be mixed with like minded inviduals (who'll be your best mates in no time) all working towards a goal and all going through the same things together. You'll still look forward to going home, but more than likely won't even think about being homesick.

Good luck.
 
#4
You cant really define a best part, Its all fcuking gleaming!
But if i had to, I'd say the piss ups!
 

lill

Old-Salt
#5
the best bit of being in the infantry is the fact that it has no comparable job in civvy street. yeah i know that sounds strange, but bear with me. it's a completely new angle on life and what you are expected to do. it doesn't prepare you/train you for just one particular job. as as an infantry soldier you will be expected to demonstrate a good level of skill in all the techniques necessary do to the job effectively. and there are plenty.

homesick? naah not really. you'll be too busy.



edited for mong spelling
 
#6
i;m in week 10 at catterick now mate

the 1st 2-3 weeks is the worst i reckon

i don't get homesick at all now... i've come home this weekend and i'm bored!

you have too much of a laugh to get homesick once you settle down, wish i stayed there this weekend for another mad 1 round darlington :p
 
#8
I would ask all the Privates in the Infantry if they would get out today if they could, and I bet you the number would be well over 50%. Most of my mates would get out in a heartbeat. If you want to get treated like a child for the next 4 years the Infantry is the way to go, if you wanna see real trigger time the Infantry is probably also your best bet. Just think about it, 4 years is a long time, especially if you are under 18.
 
#9
I joined at 17, im now 18, and i love this sh*t. The only time i dont love this sh*t is when were doing PT or something hard, which is exactly the same as any other lads life in civvy street. Everything bad here is 10 times worst than civvy street, but everything good is 100 times better.
Where else do you get to see and do this stuff? 4 years is nothing in terms of how many years you should be working overall. Atleast start recruit training, if your 17 you can get out whenever you want untill your 18 anyways.
 
#10
Bradshaw said:
Everything bad here is 10 times worst than civvy street, but everything good is 100 times better.

I'm an old fecker, and look back on my service through rose tinted beer goggles, but young man you have summed up a soldiers life. What a fcucking great strap line for a recruiter!! :thumright:
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#11
TIGER22 said:
I would ask all the Privates in the Infantry if they would get out today if they could, and I bet you the number would be well over 50%. Most of my mates would get out in a heartbeat. If you want to get treated like a child for the next 4 years the Infantry is the way to go, if you wanna see real trigger time the Infantry is probably also your best bet. Just think about it, 4 years is a long time, especially if you are under 18.
Where do you serve, how long have you been in & how old are you ?
 
#12
TIGER22 said:
I would ask all the Privates in the Infantry if they would get out today if they could, and I bet you the number would be well over 50%. Most of my mates would get out in a heartbeat. If you want to get treated like a child for the next 4 years the Infantry is the way to go, if you wanna see real trigger time the Infantry is probably also your best bet. Just think about it, 4 years is a long time, especially if you are under 18.
Your an obvious example of the shite the Infantry is currently recruiting!
You bring shame upon me and the Combat arm you serve in!!
No wonder the army is becoming what it is?
I'm a keen 21 year old L/Cpl i wouldnt give this 'shitty' job up for anything!
Theres a few things that seperate us from 3 UK Civ Div!
You don't work alongside your mates, you work alongside your brothers!
You don't drink alongside your mates, you drink alongside your brothers!
You don't fight alongside your mates, you fight your brothers! (because occasionally too they can get fcuking annoying) but they'll give you a fcuking kicking back!
Ultimately the guy's you work, live sleep, eat and train alongside will always be there for you!
Goood luck in whatever you do, If you choose the infantry you'll have made something for life :D
 
#13
I only spent four years in the Royal Anglian Regiment, but all my best experiences were in those short 4 years (1979-83), and mates that are second to none and would put their lives at risk, to help other comrades.

I personally would,nt change anything about my time in, every day is a totally different day, now i,m sounding like a recruiter! lol
 
#14
numbered_3 said:
TIGER22 said:
I would ask all the Privates in the Infantry if they would get out today if they could, and I bet you the number would be well over 50%. Most of my mates would get out in a heartbeat. If you want to get treated like a child for the next 4 years the Infantry is the way to go, if you wanna see real trigger time the Infantry is probably also your best bet. Just think about it, 4 years is a long time, especially if you are under 18.
Your an obvious example of the shite the Infantry is currently recruiting!
You bring shame upon me and the Combat arm you serve in!!
No wonder the army is becoming what it is?
I'm a keen 21 year old L/Cpl i wouldnt give this 'shitty' job up for anything!
Theres a few things that seperate us from 3 UK Civ Div!
You don't work alongside your mates, you work alongside your brothers!
You don't drink alongside your mates, you drink alongside your brothers!
You don't fight alongside your mates, you fight your brothers! (because occasionally too they can get fcuking annoying) but they'll give you a fcuking kicking back!
Ultimately the guy's you work, live sleep, eat and train alongside will always be there for you!
Goood luck in whatever you do, If you choose the infantry you'll have made something for life :D
Well said indeed, numbered_3! What nobody seems to have mentioned is that although "homesickness" will rear its ugly head, you'll always have your muckers (who are experiencing much the same) to fall back on. That's something you simply don't get in civvie street. At least not in that intensity.

MsG
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#15
I reckon Tiger22 is a one post wonder, either a civvy who's seen too many films or a Basics failure.

If the latter, he's obviously deluded himself to believe he's above being instucted better qualified men, and that all Inf are dim as a Toc-H lamp. He'll not be able to answer the questions.
 
#16
Bradshaw said:
The only time i dont love this sh*t is when were doing PT or something hard,
Are you serious? Don't you know that that which does not kill you makes you stronger? (Said someone else I hasten to add).

Cannot believe I am hearing this from an infantryman!!!! Something a weasel from another arm or service may say, something you may even be thinking, but to write it down and post it? Come on big guy!
 
#17
Sorry to disappoint cutaway, but I am neither. I have been in 2 years now, done a tour, and am sick of it. Some people love the Army, some hate it. I used to love it, but I just don't anymore. Sure there are some great times, some amazing times in fact. I agree with the post that said bad things are 10 times worse than civvy street, and the good things are 100 times better. I am just stating the truth as I see it, most people I know would get out of the Army if they could. I am not trying to discourage people from joining the Infantry, or the Army in general, just trying to give the guy some info before he rushes into a serious decision. Homesickness sucks, but that is not the real issue. The real issue is what will happen when you get out, will the Infantry help you there? My advice to the people who want to join is to go to Uni, or at least get some A Levels, then make their decision, giving themselves the most options. I left Uni to join the Army, and am starting to realise that the decision probably wasn't one of my better ones. Good luck but keep your options open Higham13, the Army will always be there, but once you have a Missus and a few little ones it is harder to go back to school.

My last post was maybe a bit harsh without giving my reasons. And cutaway, I am with 1LI based in Germany. Just the opinion of a civvy who washed out of basic, I did see Blackhawk Down though, does that count? CHEERS.
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#18
Two years ? I'm in fucking awe !
I've spent more time shitting in NAAFI birds' handbags than you've done in green.

Is it your intention to spend your entire career as a Tom ?
Are you pushing for promotion ?
If you got your degree at university you shouldn't have much of a problem, or did you jack that too ?
 
#19
TIGER22 said:
Sorry to disappoint cutaway, but I am neither. I have been in 2 years now, done a tour, and am sick of it. Some people love the Army, some hate it. I used to love it, but I just don't anymore. Sure there are some great times, some amazing times in fact. I agree with the post that said bad things are 10 times worse than civvy street, and the good things are 100 times better. I am just stating the truth as I see it, most people I know would get out of the Army if they could. I am not trying to discourage people from joining the Infantry, or the Army in general, just trying to give the guy some info before he rushes into a serious decision. Homesickness sucks, but that is not the real issue. The real issue is what will happen when you get out, will the Infantry help you there? My advice to the people who want to join is to go to Uni, or at least get some A Levels, then make their decision, giving themselves the most options. I left Uni to join the Army, and am starting to realise that the decision probably wasn't one of my better ones. Good luck but keep your options open Higham13, the Army will always be there, but once you have a Missus and a few little ones it is harder to go back to school.

My last post was maybe a bit harsh without giving my reasons. And cutaway, I am with 1LI based in Germany. Just the opinion of a civvy who washed out of basic, I did see Blackhawk Down though, does that count? CHEERS.
I've been in 5 1/2 years, Thats long enough to realise your a crow cnut!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top