Bit of a dilemma

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by skintboymike, Jul 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. National Grid attended a routine appointment today to change our old gas meter. When the engineer checked it he smelt gas and realised that there is a leak underground, so he had to switch it off at the main supply. Although the house is now safe to live in, this means no running hot water and no gas to cook on. I'm now sat at home waiting for the engineer to come back with his clipboard and tell me how long this is going to take to fix (he already reckoned 2-3 days minimum, as it involves digging up all the concrete under my kitchen floor and shed room.)

This leaves me with the very real problem of having to feed my family for the weekend. It's all well and good going out and paying for meals in restaurants for the whole weekend, but who foots the bill? My chief clerk reckons that because the house is safe to live in, there's nothing I can claim on JPA. Meanwhile, MHS are umm-ing and aah-ing over what to do, probably hoping that this weekend will just fly by without me complaining too much (fat chance).

I'm not worried too much just yet, if things start looking a bit hopeless I can kick up quite a stink to those that need to hear it. I just want to know if anyone on here has a similar experience they can recall, and how they resolved it (if at all).

Also, if there's a leak underground this will explain the unusually high gas bills I receive. Can I claim back for the extra I've been charged for the last year or so? If so, how?
  2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Charge them for a microwave?
  3. Still not sorted, the engineer said his staff have gone sick, and can't get anyone out 'til Tuesday.

Anyone got the Queen's home phone number?

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x
  4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

David Owen's your man. Former MP and member of the Labour, then SDP parties. Now a director of the company that owns your MQs.....
  5. Mate, not a great suggestion but could the Mess / cookhouse not cater for the family for the weekend. As I said, not great but maybe worth an ask?
  6. Here is your answer

7. Ah Drain_sniffer. The voice of common sense!

It's summer. Spark up the BBQ!
  8. Ever heard of the words imagination or ingenuity?

Look them up then use either of them. Hardly difficult mate, microwave/pot noodles as already mentioned, take outs, go camping, invite yourself to friends houses for dinner, sandwiches, salads, the list goes on and on.

Or are you just looking for an easy way to screw the system and grab yourself some more undeserved tax payers money?
  9. my work's cookhouse is 7 miles away down the A40, although it's a feasible suggestion (thank you) I'm f*cked if I'm going to clock up over 70 miles a day to save MHS from coughing up for a private gas plumber. Once again the needs of the budget come before the needs of the people they are being paid to provide a service for.

I have logged the last 27 hours of phone calls and visits, including names, timings and work carried out (none so far). This will no doubt carry on long after today, so does anyone have any suggestions as to whose feathers need to be ruffled to warrant a suitable response?

Pot Noodle was a brilliant suggestion, my wife, sadly doesn't agree. Spoilsport

10. Your suggestions miss the point somewhat. Every penny I pay myself is a penny that MHS save. Why should I?

As for your last remark - are you a bitter civvy by any chance? They're my taxes too, tw@t.
  11. Aww I am a tw@t because I do not agree with your pitiful whining.

Civvy? No mate, I am serving and I rent a flat. If the gas goes I get it fixed or, if I can't, I do one of the suggestions I mentioned above, what I don't do is go onto Arrse and cry about it. Grow up or are you just an example the level of soldier we have nowadays - skint on pay day and unable to fathom things out for himself. I do hope not as it is pitiful.

12. With that gas leak, that'll certainly solve the problem of feeding the family once they've all been blown to fook :twisted:
  13. Try your families/welfare officer. It's the sort of question that they're paid to answer.
  14. If the leak is underground & before the gas meter it will not affect the units you use as it will not be registered on your meter. This sounds likely if the gas man has declared your house safe to live in as he will have turned of the gas with the tap in the line to your meter (as opposed to from your meter).

If you believe you have reason to think your gas bills are too high, request the gas man to check out your meter, unfortunately they will not do anything that is not on their jobs list (unless it involves the immediate safety of people in or around the location).

Hope this helps.
  15. Had similar happen three years ago - evacuated the properties around us and took four days to declare safe. Go, stay with friends and contact welfare, if it's causing such a grief.