Bit of a clash between RAF and AAC...

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Skiddywinks, Aug 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For the full story, check out my topic here.

Short version is I am pretty tall and really want to fly jets. If I can't fly jets I want to fly attack helis, so thats pretty much just the Apache, right? Anywho, the RAF officer at the careers office couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what kind of measurements would prevent me from being streamed to fly jets. So basically, I would have to join up, try my hardest, and then possibly be told "Tough".

So to save the trouble I thought I would look into the AAC as an officer. But after reading some more on this forum, it doesn't sound like such a good idea...

I am basically in need of some general opinions and help; what should I do?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Skiddy, You wouldn't have to 'join' the RAF first. Your medical at OASC would discover whether you are of the correct proportions to fly FJ prior to IOT. You could pass, however, and still get streamed Multi/RW. My current boss is a lanky (6'2") ex-harrier (GR3!) mate and seemed to fit in the cockpit.

Good luck

3. From this linky!

Just rang the RAF line asking this question (I'm at work. Alone. For the next three hours. Ideas, anyone?), and the bloke said they don't specify height requirements etc.

If you get to OASC, as has been said, they check you out there and tell you what you are and are not eligible for. You are not committed to the forces at all at this point.

4. Skiddy,

The AFCO staff would neither have the measurement details, nor - more importantly - the means to accurately measure you.

From an RAF perspective, you would be measured during the aircrew medical at Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre (OASC), Cranwell. If you didn't meet the requirements you'd be told there and then and would be free to walk. You certainly won't have to 'join up, try your hardest and then be told 'tough''.

I assume that the AAC would also able to inform you there and then if you could fit into an Apache. However, I would VERY strongly recommend you do not set your sights in such a narrow focus. By all means aim for fast jets or AH. But there are a million and one other reasons why you may not end up on those. Ask yourself the question, do I want to be a pilot in the military, or am I just attracted by films like Top Gun and Airwolf. Sorry to be harsh, I'm merely trying to offer some advice.

You may also wish to consider the RN.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Regards,
    MM

EDIT: 15 st 11lbs!!!!!! Jesus! Are we recruiting underslung load aircrew now or have we procured some Saturn V JATO packs!!!!!!

5. bit of practice for you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/rockface/game/index.shtml

6. Although I'd love to indulge, IGS refuses access to that game. Unsurprising! :(

7. Wow, quick replies. Thanks a lot guys.

As for being a bit narrow minded, I know I am being utterly picky and such, but I honestly cannot imagine anything better than being that high up going faster than sound. It has been a dream of mine for years, loooong before I saw any movies or films about jets.

The day that sealed it for me I was in Llanberis Pass (about an hour and a half drive from here) doing some climbing in the valleys. Next thing I know, two jets were flying down the valley, followed by the deafonind roar of engines. From then on I knew I would never get a high like that from anything else.

Looks like I may have misunderstood the RAF officer and he might have misunderstood me then. So long as any failing of being streamed for jets is down entirely to my performance and general aptitude for it, I can live with that, happily. I mean, so long as I'm flying something it's better than nothing. I just really want a combat role, so that's why I thought of AAC.

Unfortunantly, it sounds like you only fly for a few years max in the AAC and then it's mostly desk jobs etc. So I think RAF is definitly going to be the best choice anyway, regardless of whether I fly jets or not.

So if those requirements are for Helicoptors, should I expect the RAF ones to be a bit tighter? Then again I am also 6 foot 2, so I guess it's a tough call.

As for the eysight requirements, I had an eye test and I have 20/20 vision (The yank version, can't remember what the British standard is), but if I close one eye the other becomes ever so slightly short sighted (the gentleman testing me said it didn't even qualify for the lowest presciption they can do). Strange condition I know, but I assume I won't have any problems then?

Thanks for all the fast replies guys, I really wasn't expecting this many so fast, much less with so much help.

EDIT: Great game btw, shame you can't experience it Goon :(

8. Damnation, have to wait til I'm home! ;)

As has often been said, if you're looking to fly for a career, the RAF is where you should look. The AAC requirements I posted are for Apache, which is quite strict, IIRC, and not dissimilar from the RAF. I am 6'2" and am within restrictions for the RAF i.e. Had I applied to the RAF I could have gone Fast Jet Pilot (assuming I was up to the challenge).

Apply for the RAF, go to Cranwell, get OASC under your belt, where they tell you what you are eligible for, and I hope you get what you want. I don't see the attraction of flying at Mach X (You don't get to see anything! ;) ) but if it's what you want, go for it.

9. Skiddy,

I know loads of lanky gits who are pilots whether it be fast jet, multis or rotary. Best of luck!!

MM

10. 6'2 shouldn't be a problem at all unless you have freakishly long legs. (It does happen- I'm 5'9 and my old house-mate is 6'3 but my sitting height is taller.) The aviation medicine bods realised that leaving one's legs behind in the cockpit upon ejection might be a problem. At OASC they'll measure from your arrse to the tip of your knee to check you're within limits. (for the shortarrses out there, you need to be worried about arm reach- I knew one girl whose arms were 1cm too short- but then she was a Cornish inbred.)

More importantly, it also looks a bit silly when the legs of your flying suit look like a pair of capris. ;)

Good luck.

11. Best of luck to you skiddy, keep chasing it mate, and don't forget the RN option.

12. Wow, you guys are really nice! To be honest, I wasn't expecting so many helpful replies from a website named arrse :p

I have also thought of the RN option, but I'm not a big fan of the sea. Having said that, if it's my only choice for flying a jet I could easily put up with a bit of the drink. But common sense tells me that if I can't fly in the RAF, chances are I won't be able to fly in the Navy for the same reason(s).

Tried the game yet goon? heh heh.

From the sounds of it, I may have been more worried than I should have been about the height and leg etc restrictions than I needed to be. All I can do now is wait until I sign up and see what they say in the medical. Got a few weeks more of training I think, just to make sure I am comfortably one of the better quartile of applicants :p

I will let you all know how it goes, whether it be a post in this topic (assuming it is still going by then), or if I have to make a whole new one!

Thanks for all the words of wisdom (and otherwise) guys!

RAF, here I come.

Mark

13. Oh crap, I completely forgot. I am slightly flat footed, more so in the right than the left. Is this going to be a problem in the RAF?

14. Hi, I want to join the AAC but I have asthma, the website says no recent history or asthma, is this correct or is it a definate no? Are there any AAC pilots on here that have asthma?

Also, where do the AAC stand on hayfever?

Cheers.

15. I'm pretty sure asthma is a definite no in every armed forces I'm afraid. Unless you haven't suffered any serious effects for at least a few months, I think.