Bit confused as to how the whole regiment/battalion thing works.

Title says it all really. I've looked for threads on here and done my research but I just can't get my head around how regiments and battalions work.

You can call me a thick **** all you like, I'm well aware of it.

All I know is I've got my ADSC at the end of next month, and I want to be light infantry.

I know I have to make a decision on which regiment I want to join, but it's so bloody confusing.

Any links to threads or webpages would be appreciated. Or an explanation in your own words.

Cheers in advance

Title says it all really. I've looked for threads on here and done my research but I just can't get my head around how regiments and battalions work.

All I know is I've got my ADSC at the end of next month, and I want to be light infantry.

I know I have to make a decision on which regiment I want to join, but it's so bloody confusing.

Any links to threads or webpages would be appreciated. Or an explanation in your own words.

Cheers in advance
[wah off]
British Army Structure - British Army Website

Corps & Regiments - British Army Website

Infantry Regiments - British Army Website

LI no longer exists, it is now part of The Rifles The Rifles - British Army Website [/wah on]

The Regiment is what capbadge you wear (The Rifles if you wish to join what was the LI).

The Battalion is one of several which make up The Rifles. I'm not sure how much choice the infantry give over which battalion you go to but if you want to know what each Rifles bn does then there's an overview of the regiment here

I took his preference for light infantry to be light role infantry. He struck me as being so extremely thick that I didn't really want to point him towards The Rifles.

I've been looking at all infantry regiments and it seems that my only option is to go for the rifles. My other options would have been mercians and fusiliers but because my 1st choice is light roll, the only battalions available to me are based in germany or cyprus.
I'm doing my best not to be picky, but I really would like to be based in the UK.

You are aware that infantry bns move and change role, occasionally? Used to be more often, but they still do it. You might join a unit that's 30 minutes from home right now, then find yourself in Germany in 3 years time. No bad thing, but you say it's not for you. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
I don't think i'd mind moving in a few years once i've settled in. I just think for now it's best that I stay home.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to explain things to me.

If you are joining the Infantry then you can't really choose what role you'll be in. The only way to guarantee light role Infantry is to join the Paras (who have three battalions, all light role [no-one get clever about SFSG]) or the Royal Irish, Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards, or Welsh Guards (all single battalion Regiments in the light role).

All other Regiments have several Battalions in several roles. If you do join the Rifles you could end up in 5 Rifles who are armoured. Other examples; 1 PWRR are armoured, 2 PWRR are light role, 1 Royal Anglian are Mech (although currently light role, keep up), 2 Royal Anglian are light role.

You'll join a Regiment and they'll send you to the Battalion where you're needed. That may be light role or armoured.

As an aside the Light Infantry, a Regiment now subsumed into the Rifles, had two Battalions at the point of amalgamation. 1 LI were armoured, 2 LI were light role.

Regiments aren't deployable Units or Formations. The constituent Battalions are spread about the Brigades of the Army. All the Battalions of the Regiment share are traditions (dress, battle honours, piss ups, marches, songs) and they manage personnel across the Regiment. It is fairly usual as an Officer to move between Battalions within the Regiment.

I worked with the Yanks for a while. They couldn't grasp the Regimental system (although clearly they were in awe of my phenomenal head dress) until one of them nailed it as: "a military frat house".

Cheers in advance
Duly noted...you thick ****.

Why are you doing all the donkey work for this cnut?....out of politeness/decency?.....he is taking the pi55.

If he was that fecking bothered he would have sat next to the pc, done some research and made notes...then could have asked questions after his own efforts failed to produce the answers.

Lazy thick cnut.....

Know's enough about 'Light Rolls' to want to do that as a job ...but not enough about Modern Regts?.......wah senses tingling.

As mentioned in another post, I'm not that sure the Rifles need a cnut like this.......they have enough already.

CELER ET AUDAX

You don't specify role or location. You join a Regiment. They will then send you to one of their Battalions. It may be light role, it may be armoured. It may be in the UK (including Northern Ireland), Germany or Cyprus.

You could join the Gurkhas. They have two Battalions, both light role. But one is in Brunei.

Think about joining a Regiment as getting married. You don't marry a girl because of where she lives or what job she has. You don't go on the pull and start by saying "right, before we start what is your address and what's your job". If you do you may find the bird fucks you off at the high port

And that's the final point. You don't just choose your Regiment; it also has to agree to take you. If, when asked, "why do you want to join this fine fine Regiment which I have dedicated my life to, fought in and seen friends die in" you answer, "because you've got a Battalion near my Mum's house" they may well **** you off.

Why are you doing all the donkey work for this cnut?....out of politeness/decency?.....he is taking the pi55.

If he was that fecking bothered he would have sat next to the pc, done some research and made notes...then could have asked questions after his own efforts failed to produce the answers.

Lazy thick cnut.....

Know's enough about 'Light Rolls' to want to do that as a job ...but not enough about Modern Regts?.......wah senses tingling.

As mentioned in another post, I'm not that sure the Rifles need a cnut like this.......they have enough already.

CELER ET AUDAX
I specifically asked for links to web pages so I could do my own research, OR if anybody would be kind enough to put their own input in. I've done my research and found it confusing, that's why I'm asking questions on here. There's a reason for all of the different sections of the forum. If you don't want to respond or help me out, then don't.

I specifically asked for links to web pages so I could do my own research, OR if anybody would be kind enough to put their own input in. I've done my research and found it confusing, that's why I'm asking questions on here. There's a reason for all of the different sections of the forum. If you don't want to respond or help me out, then don't.
Look, you thick cnut...even if a mong like you had typed 'British Army' in google, it would have taken you somewhere. How did you find out about 'Light Infantry or Light 'Roll' troops? ..if I had given you the links , you would have been one fecking click away....is that your level or effort?....and if you find that confusing you really are a sheeps cnut.

Bet you would have found a link if it was something that really interested you?....and I am helping you out by gently introducing you to some friendly banter .....you mong cnut.

The Army's changed a bit over the last 10 years. In the Infantry sense, you used to have a Regiment for each county (more or less), so you'd have the Cheshire Regiment, Staffordshire Regiment, Devon & Dorsets, Glosters etc. In non-wartime, each of those would have one battalion of regulars (about 650 men). So there would be one "unit" of say Cheshires, and that would be the 650 blokes in 1st Bn Cheshire Regiment. There would also be say 2nd Bn Cheshire Regiment, which would be TA. Maybe even a 3rd Bn of TA.

That's Infantry. In the "Corps" world, you have a Corps (e.g. Royal Signals, RE, RLC etc). Each Corps would have several regiments, e.g. 7 Sig Regt, 16 Sig Regt, 21 Sig Regt etc. Each of those would be nominally the same size and "importance" as an infantry bn. Except they're called regiments, not to be confused with infantry regiments, which comprise a number of bns (each of which is the same size as a Corps Regiment).

Royal Artillery = much the same as Corps, except it's official title is "Royal Regiment of Artillery".

Royal Armoured Corps & Household Cavalry=much the same as infantry.

These days the former infantry regiments have amalgamated into a smaller number of Regiments, and have 3,4 or even 5 regular bns.

The true story is a lot more complicated than this, but the above is the basics of it. A Lt Col commands a bn of infantry, or a regiment of almost everything else.
A Signals Regiment is the same "importance" as an Infantry Battalion?

Don't make me say REMF.