Bisley Live

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Blogg, Aug 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As opposed to the Bisley Undead we must presume.

Bisley Live - The Gun and Country Sports Show | 30th September to 2nd October 2011

Any views on this? New event, seems to combine features of the Open Day with game fair, with shooty thing shops having dedicated lanes so that you can actually have a go with a possible purchase if you have an FAC (with an open slot I presume, not that anyone here would pitch up trying for a free blat or six of course.....)

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If you go write up a review for us please, there is a thread for this on page 1.

3. From the website!

£18 entry Please note there will be a charge of £12.50 to cover registration, insurance and administration fees for shooting these disciplines. (marked with a *)

Shooting Tariffs

Air Rifle £5 10 Shots
    Shotgun £10 10 shots and clays
    Muzzle-loading Shotgun £10 5 Shots
    .22 Rimfire Rifle * £5 10 Shots
    Centre fire Rifle * £5 5 Shots
    Black Powder Pistol * £10 6 Shots
    Running Deer * £10 6 Shots
    Running Boar * £5 10 Shots

So who's still going?

4. !!!!

Seems like a good way to attract newbies into shooting sports... not..

5. It'll be a good way of making a few quid for the NSC, any benefit to shooting sports will be incidental.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

This seems to be the clowns who think they are commercially minded jumping on the badwagon of the success of the open days with an add on country sports shopping area. I suspect that after queueing for 3 hours to shoot the last thing on the punters mind will be spending even more money on a tweed hoody!
    Still the weather should be good.
    I used to get into these for free esp as I was often helping on the HBSA/LERA stand but I suspect that they will try and charge for that as well!

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I make that £80.50 to take part in each activity if not each stand per person. Money grabbing *****.

8. Nope. If you have the necessary and signed up as a coach they pay you £100 per day, which explains the vast charges perhaps.

No 1 son, being a starving student with a mean bastard for a father, has signed up for the 3 days even though it means skiving off on the Friday

I will be there helping a mate run his stand (for which he is being rushed £55 per sq. metre + VAT...) and will report.

At present general view is mixed: Open day punters will suffer wallet shock, game fair goers might be a bit perplexed and bad timing.

Could be good, could be bad. Dunno really but will keep an open mind

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Probably paying staff is the only way they will turn up after the big charges for open days in the past!
    They certainly were asking almost as much as the CLA on a day by day cost for stand space cheeky twats!

Sent from my khazi using fat poo covered fingers, no emoticons so no offence intended!

10. Lets hear it for the National Ripoff Association

11. Quick report from the "Bisley live" show................
    First off don't blame the NRA, its not their show! They just made it possible by providing the venue.
    (BTW When the open days run, it cost'a a small fortune to run, and insure, the firearms are mostly owned by the coaches, and we don't get £100 each ! Each lane has a coach, a marker, an RO some one to take tickets, people to see ammo is on point, medic's on site, reception staff, need i carry on? Most of us live a long way from Bisley, it costs me more to do the day then I get paid, I do it for the good of shooting)...... but i am digressing!
    Bisley live is £18 odd quid to get in to the show, if you want to shoot you will have buy a open day ticket, and fill out the "I aint done nowt wrong " form. Its the only legal way it can be done. Within the open day ticket are £12.50 (I think) and then you buy vouches to use for the shooting. £1 a center fire shot, £1 for 10 rounds of rim fire etc. . So you can shoot a "308" rifle for a £1 simples! Then you buy more tickets, its up to you.
    Anyway the show was, err dead today ! (Friday) Weather fab but no punter's.............200 stands/stalls but this includes all the food, coffee stalls and wellies stalls ! Am i going back tomorrow? Nope ! Enjoy !

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to help out on the open days years ago when they first started and you goit a packed lunch. That is they refused a lunch for my teenage son who was marshalling the lines at the HBSA stand. That was the final straw and I havent done anything to help since. I also finally decided not to bother shooting there again (apart from trade specials on the BSRC) after we were shooting on Short Siberia and some short fused knobber turned up late, accused us of putting a bench on his point and cried to the range staff. we had gear on the bench but it was already out away from the covered area.
    We fucked off the green blaser wearing boy as he didnt have a clue and the throbber apologised (MUST HAVE HAD A SHIT DAY) BUT THE WHOLE ATTITUDE OF SHOUTING AT SHOOTERS WITHOUT ASKING SENSIBLE QUESTIONS FIRST. Just was enough to convince me that the idiots were running the asylum.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I wonder how they will compete against bank hliday weather and the seaside being an hours drive, South of England Autumn Game Fair at Ardingly and the opening day of the shooting season. If its like most events this weekend traders will be packing up and leaving on saturday afternoon and not because they have sold out!

14. I've got a complimentary ticket and would like to show support for some friends there, but then really wonder its worth flogging around the M25 and through the shopping congestion around Guildford area - just to look at stuff i can't afford and wouldn't buy anyway. Might just go for a nice walk on the North Downs instead....

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've just texted Kit at Muntjac trading, I know he wannted to go to have a listen to the deer with dogs lecture but I am curious as to how he has done.