Bisley Clubhouse - Artist Rifles v NRA

Chicken

Old-Salt
You could always tell the National Rifle Association of America to rebrand - after all, "our" NRA was formed first, in 1859. They copied it a few of years later, in 1871, and had to add "of America" to differentiate themselves...

You dont need to convince any Shooters.

It's the public who need to learn about shooting through positive portrayal through the media.

Your attitude is part of the reason competitive shooting will likely die out.It and and those like you have to change .

My local Pistol club moan regarding dwindling membership but that's because action pistol shooting is what the new starts want to do.Not vigorous rules surrounding bullseye competitions run by a bunch of grumpy old farts

It's the public who need to learn about shooting through positive portrayal through the media. Your attitude is part of the reason competitive shooting will likely die out.It and and those like you have to change
Errr.... have you read my earlier post about the positive coverage given to a current British World and European champion, by the BBC? My comment was intended as light-hearted, about the relative ages of the two NRAs, not a "head in the sand" approach to portrayal.

My local Pistol club moan regarding dwindling membership but that's because action pistol shooting is what the new starts want to do. Not vigorous rules surrounding bullseye competitions run by a bunch of grumpy old farts
Ever considered suggesting your local club looks into Target Sprint (essentially, a running / shooting biathlon event)? I feel like I can't log onto Faceache without yet another story on it crossing my feed...

Meanwhile, I put my money where my mouth is, and help coach the local University's rifle club - given that they regularly manage 30 to 40 new members each year, and take them from beginner to (a few) County-level firers, I'd say that the grumpy old farts might be a significant factor, not just the style of the event...

Errr.... have you read my earlier posts about the positive coverage given to a current British World and European champion, by the BBC? My comment was intended as light-hearted, about the relative ages of the two NRAs, not a "head in the sand" approach to portrayal.

Have you considered getting your club to look into Target Sprint (essentially, a running / shooting biathlon event)? I feel like I can't log onto Faceache without yet another story on it crossing my feed...

Meanwhile, I put my money where my mouth is, and help coach the local University's rifle club - given that they regularly manage 30 to 40 new members each year, and take them from beginner to County-level firers, I'd say that the grumpy old farts might be a significant factor, not just the style of the event...
with the exception of me and one other lad, I’d say the average age of the blokes in our club is 400 years old.....

the conversation and personalities would put any youngster from joining and as for women? Forget it.

They are a decent set of lads and what you see is what you get, but I have to say I agree with the sentiment of your post 100%

You could always tell ask the National Rifle Association of America to rebrand - after all, "our" NRA was formed first, in 1859. They copied it a few of years later, in 1871, and had to add "of America" to differentiate themselves...
My bold and FOC. Besides The National Rifle Association of America is a registered trademark and I think it rather unfair to have them change their name because any problems NRA UK has is hardly the fault of the American NRA.

Even if they did rebrand the antis are just going to tell you it's still the NRA by any other name. One may not like the US NRA but they do a hell of a lot for gun rights and gun owners in the United States.

Pavilion after refurbishment

7E7C239E-624B-4C87-9C2E-004EE36F43C3.jpeg

FFC94535-18C8-4D4B-998D-65783812FB0F.jpeg

57B7674F-66B6-4CB1-BB29-E6A82D0E1833.jpeg

RSO course day one. Learning point erm ‘NSPs’ very basic weapon handling - being able to make sure the shooter won’t kill anyone. Fair play.

Orders approaching the firing point, on the firing point and leaving the firing point and I’m insured!!!!! That’s a big bonus as civvies are basically hopeless with a gun in their hands. I’m insured!!!!!! Woo hooo.

Two day RSO course completed. It was a good course. I’d recommend it. Day one was basic stuff but good content in day two which was a lot of the RCO course content.

ugly

LE
Two day RSO course completed. It was a good course. I’d recommend it. Day one was basic stuff but good content in day two which was a lot of the RCO course content.
Mostly common sense with some petty ignorance thrown in was my experience when I took my course

Mostly common sense with some petty ignorance thrown in was my experience when I took my course
yep it was but if you want the ticket you take the course. I always find it useful to step back into a classroom environment andtake an objective look at what you are doing one step back. In that respect, it’s a useful course which is why I’d recommend it + I wanted the ticket so no choice!!

theinventor

Old-Salt
Was thinking of offering my club to go on the RSO or RCO course, where I work offers us a few hundred quid a year to "go learn something new" and won't be too fussy that it's not really new. Having previously qualified as range management officer (in green, many years ago) am I going to do my head in starting with RSO before RCO or can one go straight in at RCO?

Was thinking of offering my club to go on the RSO or RCO course, where I work offers us a few hundred quid a year to "go learn something new" and won't be too fussy that it's not really new. Having previously qualified as range management officer (in green, many years ago) am I going to do my head in starting with RSO before RCO or can one go straight in at RCO?
I've just got my RSO ticket - did the course last weekend. A lot of the RCO course has been pulled into the RSO course, so I did the RSO course first. I'll do the RCO ticket in the spring - both are 2 day courses.

pm me if you wants a natter off line

If any of you are in the cadet forces (CFAVs) with an SA (LR) 12 qual you can use it to qualify for the RCO ticket in the same way that the WHT gives you a safe shooter certificate.

g4eddie

Old-Salt
I digress slightly but the HAC had a hut there too. I went there once, lovely little place. I believe it was built and paid for in the 1920s by the widows and families as a memorial to those lost serving with the Regiment in the great war. Then the HAC went and sold it a few years ago!
Yes the NRA wanted a huge rent increase and the HAC basically eventually gave it back - war memorial notwithstanding- still there but unused and gathering dust

utterly appalling

Did a weekend "Sharpshooters" course at Bisley, our "Tin shack" was about 100 years old, and that was the last time somebody had maintained it. Course was good, taught by Olympic shooters, but it was really for intermediates+, and when your at Bisley you are EXPECTED to be able to be personally safe with your weapon.

Latest Threads