Bisley Clubhouse - Artist Rifles v NRA

ugly

LE
Instead of making shooting more visible to the general public and - crucially - enticing and more accessible for youngsters, the NRA appears to do nothing but the opposite - shunning the public and raising "barriers to entry" for youth.
Even the HBSA has a regular organised youth wing that holds monthly shoots.

Interestingly not the first time that the Notional rifle association has wasted money pointlesslyand I think this may have been why their chief exec left as he was a decent sort and inherited this mess. A point to note that the members of the club don't have much to do with the SAS in any as the club haschanged hands a few times prompting the rent rise! Former members of the regiment are always welcomed in my limited experience but most members aren't even ex army let alone ex sf, a bit like the members on hear!
Not much of a club if there's no 'balcon ears', no mexicano tashes, hiawan shirts tellin what a 'good job' we did. Might as well join a dance outfit and 'waltzzzz' it.

Instead of making shooting more visible to the general public and - crucially - enticing and more accessible for youngsters, the NRA appears to do nothing but the opposite
Yup. British Shooting seems to be doing rather better, they've even got the BBC on board. Just google "BBC Seonaid McIntosh" for lots of positive coverage.

Another issue is that the Army's "Troops to Target" initiative has chosen the Olympic disciplines as its focus for competitive events. So, no significant involvement with the NRA* - it's smallbore, airgun, and shotgun.

* The NRA aren't exactly up-to-speed in 300m shooting. What, a free rifle firing 6mm ammunition? Adjustable stocks? Target shooting from standing and kneeling positions? Heresy!

HE117

LE
The NRA seems intent on letting shooting literally "die of old age" though, and its completely unsurprising that a lot of the shooting community wear tinfoil hats and say its all part of a plan to close Bisley and flog it off for housing estates - probably in line with some government plan to concrete over the whole Surrey Heathlands.

Instead of making shooting more visible to the general public and - crucially - enticing and more accessible for youngsters, the NRA appears to do nothing but the opposite - shunning the public and raising "barriers to entry" for youth.
I can't disagree...

That said, most of the recent barriers such as Shooters Competency Cards have been forced on the NRA by Warminster as a condition to use military ranges. I know NRA has worked hard to reduce many of the restrictions that have come down the pipeline..!

ugly

LE
That said, most of the recent barriers such as Shooters Competency Cards have been forced on the NRA by Warminster as a condition to use military ranges. I know NRA has worked hard to reduce many of the restrictions that have come down the pipeline..!
However most of the petty bull is loaded by the NRA. The charges for one, then the statement that clubs certify the individualks but without any legal responsibility for the club, something clubs did previously in probation!
The business of certifying people for something that they can and have done for years is a big self licking lollypop.
Lets scare the shooters by quoting £50 a year and then magically drop it to an admin charge of £5 a year. Admin, what admin? Its the clubs job, they have always done this just let them get on with it and stop the NRA creating more obstacles. When I do shoot (usually less than every 2 years) I have to be coached. I have no problem with that.
I shoot as much as I want at home. I can cope with a coach for the rare Bisley visit but I certainly wont buy a certificate and I don't need to.
My certificate would be out of date before my next visit so why bother?

HE117

LE
However most of the petty bull is loaded by the NRA. The charges for one, then the statement that clubs certify the individualks but without any legal responsibility for the club, something clubs did previously in probation!
The business of certifying people for something that they can and have done for years is a big self licking lollypop.
Lets scare the shooters by quoting £50 a year and then magically drop it to an admin charge of £5 a year. Admin, what admin? Its the clubs job, they have always done this just let them get on with it and stop the NRA creating more obstacles. When I do shoot (usually less than every 2 years) I have to be coached. I have no problem with that.
I shoot as much as I want at home. I can cope with a coach for the rare Bisley visit but I certainly wont buy a certificate and I don't need to.
My certificate would be out of date before my next visit so why bother?
Again just for the record, there is no "admin charge" for the Shooters Competency Card to members or associate members. A lot of people think there is, no doubt confused by the change in the club affiliation fees which came in at around the same time..

The club affiliation fee used to be fixed for all clubs, regardless of their size. This was considered unfair to the many small clubs up and down the country, so the fee structure was changed to a (smaller) fixed fee plus a capitation fee per non NRA individual member, so that larger clubs paid more.

This, typically, was not well communicated outside the NRA Bisley bubble.. !

The "Chairman's certification" was mandated by the MOD to mirror a CO's certification of WHTs. Its bollox, and we all know its bollox, but in this case it is MOD bollox, not NRA bollox..

ugly

LE
Add to that the famous firearm consultation where the NRA stated it’s desire and aim to become the certification supplier for all firearms training in the UK and for it to be mandatory!
The last people I would trust with such an item the empire building little hitlers

My club is funding me and another lads on the RSO and RCO courses and I’m toying with trying one of the refurbed chalets for a night. Anyone checked them out?

ugly

LE
My club is funding me and another lads on the RSO and RCO courses and I’m toying with trying one of the refurbed chalets for a night. Anyone checked them out?
The Artists used to be quite comfortable and reasonably priced, I used to live there on my weekends when I was running club shoots

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Here's one of the entrance taken a few years back. I got a bollocking from some bint seconds after taking this, fuck knows why, it's not as if it's a secret with a BFO sign like that above the door!View attachment 367272
I remember that occasion!

Why on earth pay £60 a night plus membership to the AR when you can join the ATSC and pay £10 a night. Serving of course.

ugly

LE
Why on earth pay £60 a night plus membership to the AR when you can join the ATSC and pay £10 a night. Serving of course.
ATSC is possibly harder to join than the SAS

ATSC is possibly harder to join than the SAS
I will always remember ATSC and Keith Pardy (RIP) fondly.

Keith and the ATSC saved us, and I'm going to keep paying membership for as long as I can by way of a thankyou...

Once upon a time, Mrs. G got selected for the Commonwealth Games - at the point where we were breeding. We knew, well in advance, that if she qualified for the Games, we'd have a three-month-old in tow; so we started letting people know early (because accommodation), and received all of the usual noncommittal, supportive, comments.

We're travelling, and competing, from three to four weeks post-partum; doing childcare in hotels, getting our "how to take care of baby while on the road" drills down pat. Just as importantly, we're getting all the home nation shooters and officials used to the sight of "those two and the baby" on the domestic circuit of GBR qualifying competitions, because no-one's really tried it before*. Comes official selection time, and she's selected (having proved fitness to compete post-birth by putting in an MQS), at which point we get told "sorry - no special accommodation, it's the single rooms or sort it yourself" by the team. Reading between the lines, they wanted us to leave firstborn behind, but couldn't say so (because not good medical advice, and the Team Doctors would slap them).

At this point as an ATSC member, I spoke to Keith, and while all accommodation on Bisley camp had been block-booked for the duration for technical staff and officials, the ATSC Annexe hadn't (because it wasn't officially up to standard). And so, we spent the Games living in airy comfort in the Annexe's big three-man room**, and strolling the 400m to the range in the sunshine pushing a pram - while everyone else spent an hour a day on the blow-me-up-buses to and from the Surrey University campus in Guildford, and tiny sweaty rooms in the heat. Luxury.

The Canadians had the right idea; one of their top shotgun types (she ended up winning a couple of gold medals) had given birth three months before, so they booked her a family room at the University, and gave her husband a "Coach" pass so he could accompany her. We used to meet up at the cafe behind the shotgun range, a pair of three-month-olds with ear defenders.

ISTR that they used the Artists' clubhouse as the admin base for event management; we went down there and got firstborn an access-all-areas athlete's security pass, which he's still got :) ("Target Gun" magazine's report on the Games even had a picture of him in his pram). It helped that the shooting events organiser was a regular Major, IIRC Devon & Dorsets, who I'd been competing against at the Inter-Services for several years - he went on to manage the shooting events at the 2012 Olympics.

Amusingly, while we were doing this, @PhotEx was probably standing at the front gate of Bisley for a day or two protesting that all of us should have boycotted the Games - he may have mentioned it in one of his previous incarnations...

* It's amazing how quickly even a GBFO Volvo estate fills up with two 100-litre equipment bags, two rifle cases, a childseat, a travel cot, and necessary bags full of kinderstuff. We managed with a small holdall for our washbag and change of clothes, there wasn't room for anything else...

** A quick trip to B&Q for their cut-to-size service allowed me to create three chipboard mattress bases; two across the way made a double bed, each along the way fitted the singles. If you've ever wondered why some of their metal frame beds aren't as saggy as others, that's why...

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Taffs catering is also well worth the peppercorn tariff

ugly

LE
I used to get guest rates for £25 a night b&b

ugly

LE
I am aware that a number of you on this board are not fans of the NRA, but can I persuade you that by not engaging, you are making things worse rather than better? I am not advocating revolution, but with more participation and engagement, I believe purposeful evolution can be achieved. We have far too many folk who are happy to stand at the back of the bar throwing empty cans at the two idiots fighting in the middle of the room..!
This very argument is thrown in my face every time I state I won’t put a penny in their coffers yet it was also the losing argument in the brexit threads!
Sometimes it’s better to walk away as the organization is there for the organizers not the organised

Chicken

Old-Salt
NRA is a very unpopular term In today's climate.
Perhaps rebranding the organisation would help?

Latest Threads