Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Birthday Honours 2020

Because you can’t choose the award people get. The ground floor for the military is an MBE. Can you imagine how embarrassing and detrimental to their career if a Captain/Major were only conferred a BEM?

I was thinking more of the Sgts Mess than the Officer's. The current system leaves many deserving NCOs unrewarded because of the career needs of officers. That is just plain wrong.

The really hard working genuine folks get the BEM or MBE. The feckless, actors and pollies get the CBE, OBE and knighthoods/damehoods. So no class distinction there! :cool:

I was thinking more of the Sgts Mess than the Officer's. The current system leaves many deserving NCOs unrewarded because of the career needs of officers. That is just plain wrong.

How about there’s no military division whatsoever?

if military people want to do something extra to their career, such as charity endeavours, then they should be recognised for that along the same lines of civilians. Honours for doing your military job, is bollocks.

How about there’s no military division whatsoever?

if military people want to do something extra to their career, such as charity endeavours, then they should be recognised for that along the same lines of civilians. Honours for doing your military job, is bollocks.

Some of the problem with the Military Division is that Honours are tied to certain jobs.

Some of the problem with the Military Division is that Honours are tied to certain jobs.
Such is the want in the military. Friend of mine got his CBE for being in charge of stuff in Afghan. Saying that he is a genuinely nice bloke and would be the last person to brag about it.

Such is the want in the military. Friend of mine got his CBE for being in charge of stuff in Afghan. Saying that he is a genuinely nice bloke and would be the last person to brag about it.

Someone I know (but fortunately didn't work for), got his CBE for being the titular head of an operation (his Deputy ran it day-to-day). The former was a toxic leader, who was utterly loathed by his Headquarters.

No chance unless you are black, LGBTQ+, A Victim, or a Speaker on behalf of Victims.

Or Mary Berry.
Oh, I dont know.
My recommendation got a BEM announced today and she thoroughly deserved it.
Traditional boring understated stuff, services to a sport and the local community.
Judging by the social media explosion of congratulations and well wishes to her from said community it has been well received.
She is white, married to a male, a mother of kids and empowering and providing opportunity for men, women and children in her sport. I have never seen her play the victim card on behalf of herself or others.
Much more of the get over it princess school of thought than the woe is me sort.

I feel moderately proud of myself this evening, as very unusually for me I have actually done a good thing.

Oh, I dont know.
My recommendation got a BEM announced today and she thoroughly deserved it.
Traditional boring understated stuff, services to a sport and the local community.
Judging by the social media explosion of congratulations and well wishes to her from said community it has been well received.
She is white, married to a male, a mother of kids and empowering and providing opportunity for men, women and children in her sport. I have never seen her play the victim card on behalf of herself or others.
Much more of the get over it princess school of thought than the woe is me sort.

I feel moderately proud of myself this evening, as very unusually for me I have actually done a good thing.

Fair play to her, well done. This is exactly what the honours system should recognise - not the colour of your skin, your sexuality or all other manner of things, but you deeds. And only your deeds.

I watched a Major receive an MBE after failing to support his troops, several soldiers and officers died during his tenure, but hey, he got his stats and other staff work in on time. A disgrace.