Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Birthday Honours 2020

Don’t worry, it’ll all end when my lad is Prime Minister.

We also plan on disbanding the Royal Engineers ;-)

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Some of the problem with the Military Division is that Honours are tied to certain jobs.
Such is the want in the military. Friend of mine got his CBE for being in charge of stuff in Afghan. Saying that he is a genuinely nice bloke and would be the last person to brag about it.

Such is the want in the military. Friend of mine got his CBE for being in charge of stuff in Afghan. Saying that he is a genuinely nice bloke and would be the last person to brag about it.

Someone I know (but fortunately didn't work for), got his CBE for being the titular head of an operation (his Deputy ran it day-to-day). The former was a toxic leader, who was utterly loathed by his Headquarters.

jmb3296

War Hero
No chance unless you are black, LGBTQ+, A Victim, or a Speaker on behalf of Victims.

Or Mary Berry.
Oh, I dont know.
My recommendation got a BEM announced today and she thoroughly deserved it.
Traditional boring understated stuff, services to a sport and the local community.
Judging by the social media explosion of congratulations and well wishes to her from said community it has been well received.
She is white, married to a male, a mother of kids and empowering and providing opportunity for men, women and children in her sport. I have never seen her play the victim card on behalf of herself or others.
Much more of the get over it princess school of thought than the woe is me sort.

I feel moderately proud of myself this evening, as very unusually for me I have actually done a good thing.

Oh, I dont know.
Traditional boring understated stuff, services to a sport and the local community.
Judging by the social media explosion of congratulations and well wishes to her from said community it has been well received.
She is white, married to a male, a mother of kids and empowering and providing opportunity for men, women and children in her sport. I have never seen her play the victim card on behalf of herself or others.
Much more of the get over it princess school of thought than the woe is me sort.

I feel moderately proud of myself this evening, as very unusually for me I have actually done a good thing.

Fair play to her, well done. This is exactly what the honours system should recognise - not the colour of your skin, your sexuality or all other manner of things, but you deeds. And only your deeds.

I watched a Major receive an MBE after failing to support his troops, several soldiers and officers died during his tenure, but hey, he got his stats and other staff work in on time. A disgrace.

Oh, I dont know.

The one I know got hers for exactly the same thing

I’ll just mention the ISM here.

But only for AAs and AOs ( E2 and E1 in MoD CS parlance). Talking to an SCS friend who is as cynical about the whole Honours system as I am, the pecking order appears to be as follows:

AA - ISM
AO - ISM
EO - BEM
HEO - BEM / MBE
SEO - MBE
G7 - MBE / OBE
G6 - MBE / OBE
G5+ - OBE / CBE / KBE

As an aside, BF and IE are going to start receiving an LS&GC for 20 years service, starting from 2022. It will be issued along the same lines as the Police and NCA LS&GC.

Dr Death

War Hero
‘Operation Olympic Medal’? You are shitting me aren’t you? It’s enough to make me want to send my Cyprus UN medal back.
No.
It was mooted after G4S screwed up, about 6 weeks before the opening.
Then CGS thought it was a good idea, came from a Brigade Commander who will be nameless.
None were minted but it was going to be a thank you mostly for the reserve forces called up for it.

You would have worn right next to your arrse medals.

Dr Death

War Hero
But only for AAs and AOs ( E2 and E1 in MoD CS parlance). Talking to an SCS friend who is as cynical about the whole Honours system as I am, the pecking order appears to be as follows:

AA - ISM
AO - ISM
EO - BEM
HEO - BEM / MBE
SEO - MBE
G7 - MBE / OBE
G6 - MBE / OBE
G5+ - OBE / CBE / KBE

As an aside, BF and IE are going to start receiving an LS&GC for 20 years service, starting from 2022. It will be issued along the same lines as the Police and NCA LS&GC.
I knew an Skill Zone2 (between AA & AO) who got a BEM.

No.
It was mooted after G4S screwed up, about 6 weeks before the opening.
Then CGS thought it was a good idea, came from a Brigade Commander who will be nameless.
None were minted but it was going to be a thank you mostly for the reserve forces called up for it.

You would have worn right next to your arrse medals.

In the end, we all got the commeorative coin. I got my QDJM too.

Yokel

LE
I knew someone who got an MBE a few years ago, but they seem to forget me. Maybe the letter got lost - just like cards go missing on St Valentine's day and so do the letters from companies beiggng me to work for them?

I just look at the list to make sure nobody who has been a throbber to me has got one. I have not read the full list - are there any awards for industry leaders that helped produce ventilators and PPE?

Last edited:

AA - ISM
AO - ISM
EO - BEM
HEO - BEM / MBE
SEO - MBE
G7 - MBE / OBE
G6 - MBE / OBE
G5+ - OBE / CBE / KBE

Well well what a surprise HO looking after itself. Sorry as Ex Customs it’s all beneath me (sniff) . We were a breed apart.

Euclid

War Hero
Some of the problem with the Military Division is that Honours are tied to certain jobs.
Of more interest than who gets an OBE for being a CO is who doesn’t get one, and why.

But let’s face it, MBE, OBE, CBE etc? I’m not sure they are taken particularly seriously.

Euclid

War Hero
And while I’m at it, if we take the criteria that seems to be applied to recipients of MBEs then every bloke who ever stagged on in a FOB should get one. And I speak as someone with similar undeserved recognition, and having written up several recipients of said awards.

Of more interest than who gets an OBE for being a CO is who doesn’t get one, and why.

But let’s face it, MBE, OBE, CBE etc? I’m not sure they are taken particularly seriously.

Re. your first point, that would be a fascinating story. As for your second, probably not by the rank and file, if which I count myself a fully paid up member, but rather more so by boards at APC.

Personally, I was disappointed to see Mr Rashford on the list. I'm not convinced that jumping up and down to get the government to extend FREE SCHOOL MEALS for poorer or disadvantaged families for this years summer break is worthy. These families dont get this money at all normally, instead their children have a meal provision at school. They have never had this extra money before, in any holiday or weekend, or will get it again, yet they manage to feed their children without it, (£2.30 a day).

Meanwhile, Mr Rashford happily pockets £ 200k a week for being an entertainer who hasn't worked since March...
Can you imagine the shrieking if the Government had said, ok, send them to the school canteen between 12 and 1 ( social distancing will be enforced) and they'll be given a free meal.

Latest Threads