Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Birthday Honours 2020

Personally, I was disappointed to see Mr Rashford on the list. I'm not convinced that jumping up and down to get the government to extend FREE SCHOOL MEALS for poorer or disadvantaged families for this years summer break is worthy. These families dont get this money at all normally, instead their children have a meal provision at school. They have never had this extra money before, in any holiday or weekend, or will get it again, yet they manage to feed their children without it, (£2.30 a day).

Meanwhile, Mr Rashford happily pockets £ 200k a week for being an entertainer who hasn't worked since March...

Last edited:
The D day veteran you refer to is Harry Billinge, who received an MBE in the March 2020 Honours, for his support over many years to the RBL and his fund raising activities to support a permanent memorial in France.
There is no doubt the latest Honours list is dominated by people who ‘stepped up’ during the pandemic - well done to them and all the others on the list. As ever, there will be many deserving recipients, but there will also be honours dished out to undeserving sycophants and flunkies. Still, it gives the Beeb News the opportunity to go into woke overdrive and they appear to be lapping it up this morning.
I’m personally disappointed my stiff ignoring of the weekly clap for the NHS has been overlooked.

Harry Billinge has also recently had a train named in his honour.

That's quite cool.

Can I have one for picking up shrapnel in the early mornings after the London Blitz?

1602325413054.png

I must admit I would be a bit miffed if I had got an RRC and found it under sundries! Seems like they are also rans, behind that massive list of BEMs.

I'm astonished the woke brigade haven't kicked off regarding "Empire" in state awards? I suspect it won't be long until they are rebranded from Most Excellent Order of the British Empire to Most Excellent Order of British Service, or something similar: MBS, OBS, CBS, etc. Commander sounds a bit militaristic too - perhaps that should be replaced by Champion, Captain, Contoller?

I also saw a set of stats on the gov website that x% had been awarded to BAME, y% to women, z% to disablers - so they are clearly compiling the stats. I identify as gay, black(other) and gender(other) on JPA, so I've done my bit to help the stats.

Last edited:
Some of my police colleagues have mooted a 'Covid Medal' on the basis that 'they got one for ebola'. Those doing the mooting are those with no medals.
It will go the same way as the Operation Olympic Medal went.
Mooted by then CGS, endorsed by various Brigade CO's & a fecking Civil Servant said no, who then got go a KB!

Mooted by then CGS, endorsed by various Brigade CO's & a fecking Civil Servant said no, who then got go a KB!

I suspect that they would have gone ignored on eBay, along with anything else awarded just for turning up in the morning.

It was but Cameron brought it back in 2011 IIRC. Only the Civil Division can be awarded though, because the MoD declined to reinstate the Military Division.

Because you can’t choose the award people get. The ground floor for the military is an MBE. Can you imagine how embarrassing and detrimental to their career if a Captain/Major were only conferred a BEM?

‘Operation Olympic Medal’? You are shitting me aren’t you? It’s enough to make me want to send my Cyprus UN medal back.