Birmingham wishes it could ditch Brummie accent

#1
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2467053/Birmingham-wishes-it-could-ditch-Brummie-accent.html


Almost eight out of 10 people in the second city told pollsters that they wish they had a different accent - higher than anywhere else in country.

And only one per cent of people from other parts of the UK said they would chose to speak with the distinctive nasal tones associated with the comedian Jasper Carrot or rocker Ozzy Osbourne.

But Brummies are not alone - overall almost three quarters of people said they did not like the sound of their own voice, the survey for SpinVox - a company which specialises in converting speech to text, found.

Despite a greater exposure to regional accents than ever before on television and radio, the poll showed that traditional "Queen's English" speech was still considered the most desirable way to speak.

Irish accents came second in the popularity stakes, with Scottish tones not far behind, the survey of 2,000 people found.

Meanwhile Scots, Geordies and Welsh people were among those most proud of their accents.

"It seems Britain is being gripped by an epidemic of accent envy and accent self loathing," Dr Tony Robinson, a linguistic expert who works for SpinVox, said.

"After decades where dialect diversity has been celebrated, the majority of Britons now aspire to received pronunciation and to share the sound of their voice not only with the Queen but with celebrities like Liz Hurley and Hugh Grant."

Compared with the 78 per cent of people in Birmingham who said they did not like their accent, only 18 per cent of those polled in Scotland felt the same and just 14 per cent of Londoners.

But the minority of still-loyal Brummie speakers, need not lose heart. One study by linguists five years ago found that overseas visitors found the much-maligned accent "lilting and melodious".
What a lot of bollox. Lived here for years, I think it's a great accent I do awww , and one of the most versatile for getting dry humour across. No one does sarcasm like a Brummie.

Which other region can get across "That is bollox that is" with "oh awww"

As other commentators point out, it's a bright, lilting and melodious accent, and listening to certain Radio DJ's here use it well in debate and piss-taking is a joy. I suggest you try not to do surveys at New Street Station Spinvox, you'll end up with a bollox statistic.

There should be a Brummie Talk Radio DJ , like Dr. Chinn or someone of that calibre, you'd soon get a proper heated debate going, with gobby t wats put back in their box, never mind using all these mockney-outrage thick as yam pigsh*t talking head w*nkers.

There is nothing wrong with the accent.....and I'm a Cockney don't you know.

Anyway , this is bollox , and just another slur on the Brumopolis by home counties educated estuary English speaking mockney gobshites.
 
#3
Agree you should be pround of your own regional accents, as a London boy I do find it grates hearing some over and pointless educated git trying to be right on by acting as if they come from my part of gods own city.
Also regional accents are a good source of banter sometimes, that is if you have the wit to be able to understand it.
 
#4
Well, Clarkson says "I would never employ someone with a Brummie accent" and we all know he is never wrong :D

love this variety, although of course it can cause problems. I, for instance, would never employ anyone with a Brummie accent. I don’t wish to be rude to the people of Birmingham, but I’m sorry, it makes you sound thick. Likewise, whenever I meet someone with a Somerset burr, I always imagine that in the next five minutes I’m going to be tied to a candlelit table, with a goat, and raped.
So much for Somerset....
 
#5
I do find it grates hearing some over and pointless educated git trying to be right on
Grates even more when they try and dress it up as a pseudo-scientific survey.

It's still bollox.

And as for Clarkson , the over-opiniated boorish twit

I love this variety, although of course it can cause problems. I, for instance, would never employ anyone with a Brummie accent. I don’t wish to be rude to the people of Birmingham, but I’m sorry, it makes you sound thick
And I'm sure none of the researchers and production staff on Top Gear at the Mailbox , based in , oh where is that again....... would disagree with that would they you motor-mouthed fool.

Has the rim of your Coffee-Cup ever smelt a bit funny Clarkson?

Choob.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#6
"It seems Britain is being gripped by an epidemic of accent envy and accent self loathing," Dr Tony Robinson, a linguistic expert who works for SpinVox, said.

Before announcing 'I have a cunning plan' and carrying on digging a hole in someone's back-garden and pontificating at length about Roman pottery fragments.

Multi-talented, the boy Robinson.
 
#7
PartTimePongo said:
And as for Clarkson , the over-opiniated boorish twit

I love this variety, although of course it can cause problems. I, for instance, would never employ anyone with a Brummie accent. I don’t wish to be rude to the people of Birmingham, but I’m sorry, it makes you sound thick
And I'm sure none of the researchers and production staff on Top Gear at the Mailbox , based in , oh where is that again....... would disagree with that would they you motor-mouthed fool.

Has the rim of your Coffee-Cup ever smelt a bit funny Clarkson?

Choob.
Get out of the wrong side of bed this morning? truth hurting??? :lol:
 
#8
I agree! The brummy accent is terrible, beaten only by the scouse one! ;)
 
#9
I'm a Cockney don't you know.

I find it incredible for Clarkson to make this statement when he works in the Brumopolis, and undoubtedly has staff from Birmingham working on TG.

Which makes a bit of a mockery of his statement.

Anyway , he should smell the coffee..... literally.... :D
 
#10
PartTimePongo said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2467053/Birmingham-wishes-it-could-ditch-Brummie-accent.html


Almost eight out of 10 people in the second city told pollsters that they wish they had a different accent - higher than anywhere else in country.
One Indian, one Somalian, one Pole, one Nigerian, one Serb, one Croatian, one septic, one scouser & two Brummies, who were happy.

Where's the problem in that. :? :?
 
#12
Birmingham sounds like one big head trauma ward.

I had to go to Wolverhampton and the city centre recently, and I spent all day stifling giggles as increasingly retarded sounding people tried to talk to me about "clever stuff"

It's a pants accent and will forever be associated with Barry from "Auf wiedersehen pet"

it's only to be outdone in the crap accent stakes by the Welsh, and lets be honest, they talk like they're gargling spunk with a brain injury.
 
#14
CQMS said:
shortfuse said:
it's only to be outdone in the crap accent stakes by the Welsh, and lets be honest, they talk like they're gargling spunk with a brain injury.
You've met my wife then?
Haven't we all???? ;)
 
#15
Sometimes I get annoyed when I keep missing out pronouncing the T's and G's on everything. I think that's sort of a nation-wide thing though. Not just down here.

Other than that, I like the way I pronounce words like bath, grass etc.. (barth, grarse)
 
#16
I worked in Brum for four years. Loved it. Loved the football craic with so many local teams. Brummies are a good laugh and their accent is great - funny and non-aggressive, unlike strong accents from some other cities in the UK. We had a Brummie WO1 in a unit I was in once. The tw*t tried to hide his accent and talk posh - the end result being that he sounded ridiculous and everyone in the unit laughed behind his back. He came from Chelmsley Wood but told everyone he was from "North Solihull". LOL.
 
#17
I thought manchester was the 2nd city...
 
#18
johno2499 said:
I worked in Brum for four years. Loved it. Loved the football craic with so many local teams. Brummies are a good laugh and their accent is great - funny and non-aggressive, unlike strong accents from some other cities in the UK. We had a Brummie WO1 in a unit I was in once. The tw*t tried to hide his accent and talk posh - the end result being that he sounded ridiculous and everyone in the unit laughed behind his back. He came from Chelmsley Wood but told everyone he was from "North Solihull". LOL.
Hahahahahahhahahaa , so true. Smethwick am North Harbourne too :D

I thought manchester was the 2nd city...
Not biting :evil:
 
#19
PartTimePongo said:
johno2499 said:
I worked in Brum for four years. Loved it. Loved the football craic with so many local teams. Brummies are a good laugh and their accent is great - funny and non-aggressive, unlike strong accents from some other cities in the UK. We had a Brummie WO1 in a unit I was in once. The tw*t tried to hide his accent and talk posh - the end result being that he sounded ridiculous and everyone in the unit laughed behind his back. He came from Chelmsley Wood but told everyone he was from "North Solihull". LOL.
Hahahahahahhahahaa , so true. Smethwick am North Harbourne too :D

I thought manchester was the 2nd city...
Not biting :evil:
I'm from Hall Green,about 4 miles from Solihull. Looking to go to Brum for the Rememberance parade.
 

Latest Threads

Top