Bird Flu

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Vimeiro, Apr 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fly to the hills but do NOT cough or sneeze after landing.
  2. I really don't understand the panic. World-wide only about 100 people have died from this (in what...over a year?). I accept that it could mutate into a human-human contaigon, but think on this:

How many people die each year of Malaria, MRSA, AIDS, 'normal' 'flu etc etc etc.... ad infinitum. Bird 'flu is only a tiny blip in any statistcal analysis.

The chances of this being transmitted from bird to human (unless living and working in close proximity all day, every day) are pretty minimal. The odds are much greater that you will get hit by a car on the way to work tomorrow...
  3. Especially if an infected bird is driving it
  4. I have just had a phonecall from a good friend, he was really flapping.

"Mate, mate I think I've got birdflu" he said

I told him to calm down and tell me why he thought that could be the case

"Well", he said, "I'm talking sh*t and I can't park the car!".

I'll get my coat then....
  5. Birds are always shite at parallel parking, the lack of coordination, the illogical mind, their t1ts get in the way of the steering wheel and then somebody tries to shove sage and onion up an orifice. That fcuks them up totally.
  6. And that's without the bird flu
  7. Quick despatch the Parliamentary Labour Party to throw a cordon round it! They will either contract the disease, or more likely claim responsiblity for saving civilisation!
  8. Sorry. Can't help laughing uncontrollably at the BBC news report I heard thismorning.
    Have visions of "chicken run" type birds queueing up here...... :D
    So, what about the flying illegal immigrant birds that had no wish to stop at the road blocks?? Hmm...... tricky one for the press...... :wink: :wink:
    Uncontrolled laughter :lol: :D
  9. Who does the ATC for Cellardyke? Hadn't somebody better tell the wild birds they're excluded? Thinking of Cellardyke as a holiday destination, close to the golf, very quiet and just own up to having a chicken salad sandwich and you get your car cleaned for nothing.
  10. Yeah but....

That looks like a 55% casuality rate to me, I don't think you have a 1:2 chance of being hit by a car.

If the Virus were to mutate so it could transmit via airborne particles (i.e. particles of spit ejected when people cough) and its spread go un-checked then an awfull lot of people could die.
  11. I seem to remember somebody saying IF there were WOMD in Iraq. Nice word IF but too much play on it.
  12. My bold. I see your point, but that's 192 people out of how many hundreds of thousands who work constantly with poultry?
  13. There's more people that die in Africa due to hippos than lions so what now an exclusion zone round Anne Widdecombe?
  14. Mistersoft - have you been taking the sarcasm pills again? :wink: