Bionic Arm

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BiscuitsAB, Oct 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

2. Skip to 1 min 30s on the video. I now know what Jarvis Cocker is doing nowadays.

It does look very clever!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

pretty much what they are fitting allready isn't it?

the issue isn't getting headley court to persuade mod to buy the kit it's the replacement every few years which is the issue and who pays for it as troops move into the NHS. I understand it's messing up the US VA budgets at 100+K a pop for what they are fitting.

4. What's with the Realtree camo?

5. It helps evade detection when wanking in the bushes

6. A Buddy of mine has one fitted at Walter Reed after an IED took his left hand off at the forearm. Works same principle as this guys. AFAIK only time it malfunctioned was during a funeral for another Soldier. Church was hot he was sweating and the hand started grasping and ungrasping from sweat running down into the area with the sensors. He uses his and runs triathlons, Trekked Kilimanjaro, etc.

7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Whats the feeling your side of the Atlantic about budgets for this sort of prosthetic? Has the US taken a "we'll throw the bank at it approach"?

8. It's available to the guys at Headley, but not all arm amputees have chosen it as an option - some don't bother with arm prosthetics, whilst others are happy with the mechanical hook arrangement.

The Murrison report has ensured there is £15m set aside for replacement prosthetics. Essentially injured service personnel's prosthetics will be considered a prescription.

The current tech used at Headley is the C-leg which costs the MoD about £23k per leg (outside the MoD expect to pay double). There is a more technologically advanced leg, the genium, but this is about £44k per leg, it's not considered to offer £21k of advancement.

9. Anyone seen the iWalk Biom ankle in use? I saw a video on it a few weeks ago and it looked really impressive how a double leg amputee above knee was walking up and down inclines in a natural way.

10. Dont have an educated answer. Most of the guys I know from my tour who go to the VA have praise for it over the Army. The Army med board will say you are say 20% disabled for life with a missing arm, the VA med board rates far higher disability.

On Demob at Ft. Dix they refused to give us Physicals even for those of us who were wounded, not even eye exams, just out the door within a week. Told go see the VA- First day at the VA, full battery of tests, next day an X rays to see if still had fragments inside me before the MRI. day after that MRI- Docs Offered me a free shoulder operation and I took Phys therapy instead. 4 days a week swimming length of pool with just bad arm, wall finger exercise boards, strength excercise and got full range of motion back within a year. Still the joint is arthritic but its still there so lucky.

Personally mans wounded in service for the country, the country needs to pay that debt and fix him/her as near to before if possible. A few less F-22/35's and less wheelchair bound brothers

• Like Like x 1
  11. This is the video I was thinking of earlier, couldn't post youtube links at work. The guy seems to walk a lot better on these than the more rigid looking prosthetics you often see. Hopefully I'll never need any myself, but the technology they are using now is impressive and I would imagine is hugely welcomed by those who need it/can afford it.

12. The fella in the vid has knees, that's what makes the difference.

It's a fine balancing act, the motors and batteries will add weight to the prosthetic. There are below knee bi-lats at Headley who walk better than the vid with non bionic means.

13. Ah fair do's Dingerr, I've not been on these forums long but from what I gather you're certainly an expert. Guess each case has to be tailored to individually to work out which is best. I chat with Mark Ormrod quite a lot on Twitter, he was saying a few weeks ago (and I quote) "The way things are going, us 'cyborgs' will be like Terminators in a few years", and the determination that guy has I believe him, nails!

14. He's not far wrong there's big developments in the pipeline. When you consider that an above knee bi-lat walking on prosthetics takes 400% more effort than with limbs, there's plenty of room for advancement.

• Like Like x 1