Biomedical Scientist

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Welshy53, Apr 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I am trying to find out some more info about joining the Army as a biomedical scientist.

I have done a search of ARRSe but the only info I could find is about the post being oversubscribed in 2006. The info on the Army Careers website has info about becoming a biomedical scientist through the doing your qualifications through the army. I am trying to find out about joining when you already have the education qualifications ie a degree and masters in biomedical science.

I did visit the Army careers office yesterday to try and get some more info but it was closed for lunch(!?) so I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction to find out more info !

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Try about 0930hrs, there should be someone in then.

Dui-Lai maybe lurking the board and have some info for you- or try a PM to him.
  3. As said the only direct entry route is into the other ranks, even with your degree you will still need to pass the interviews, being with the qualifications is obviously an advantage but you will still need to go thro interview process. Your degree also needs to be recognised by the HPC or you need to do a top up, currently another year (final year normally) at either Portsmouth or Newcastle Uni's.

Not sure on the current situation but I'm pretty sure that we are only training one or two per year so the selection process is pretty rigorous. If you don't get what you need from Karabiner then drop me a PM and I will put you in contact with those you need to speak to. Failing that apply to the RAF currently they have 9 trained staff, not sure on the Navy but Im sure that with everyone jumping ship for quicker promotion they will be in the same state as the Army.

Do you already have the qualifications? also are they in one of the trades that the Armed Forces require, i.e. Haematology/Transfusion, Biochemistry or Microbiology? Not sure exactly how it would work with you should you already have a masters but for others that have joined with degrees they have come straight in at Cpl but then had to wait 5 years for their Sgt from the day they passed the Class 3 course at Blockhouse.
  4. Hi, Iam 28 ,male , nigerian ,been in the TA(signals) for a year and i have just passed selection to join the regs and should report fo my basic on may 4th,however the job choice is as an rlc chef(which to be honest ) i dont like at all. I do have qualifications to go into RMC (5 gcse' inc maths ,biology and english and a diploma in clinical sciences) and i have been looking at the job choice clin phys, bms ,radiographer and student nurse and i would really love to change esp to clin phys. My barb test score was 52 and numeic 2.. can anyone advise me on what to do as my recruiter is not very keen.thank you .
  5. Dolla,
    See my reply to your post on the recruiting forum.