Biomedical Scientist - Me Applying - The realism?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by B3LL, Mar 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright, so I did my BARB test today (scored 70-something) and found out I could put Biomedical Scientist onto my list of choices. I've been really psyched about this until I got home... and came on here....

I've read around and seen a lot of post graduates apply for this course and I haven't studied a degree. This has gotten me thinking, I was allowed to put it as my first choice but am I in for an infinite wait in doing so if I want this job?

Please help! I want to join the army with a career i'll enjoy and this sounds like it's for me... but will I actually get it?

Thank you,
  2. It is true that post graduates apply for the course but just because they already have the degree does not mean that they will be accepted on to the course. You have as good a chance as any of them however, you may have missed this years interviews to start the degree this September so it would be another year possibly.

I believe the Army are only recruiting 4 people this year so it will be a tight competition to get one of the available spaces. The best people to speak to are the BMS trainging school, currently situated at Keogh Barracks. They will be able to advise you on the process.
  3. Thanks for your info Cherry (in both threads). Obviously, I wrote the other initially before reading these forums in more depth and realising the wait I could be in for...
    When you say it's likely I'll be waiting til next year, are you quite confident of this? Also, if I phone the barracks will they inform me of the next likely intake date?

It's not that I don't have the self confidence, it's that I know if there is someone better and more suited, they will get (and deserve) the role. If the intakes are annualy I could be waiting a very long time if I expect to get the biomedical scientist role.
  4. I am unsure if the interviews have taken place to date, I believe if they have not taken place then they will do in the next month as they will need to process your university application if you are successful in getting one of the 4 places. I will send an email to our boss and find out if they have taken place, best I can offer as I am currently aboard a ship supporting a Naval Op (long story) in the Gulf.

If you phone the BMS training school they will be able to answer all your questions, should you be successful in gaining an interview then it would be good to find out more about the role, not just military either as we are employed within the civilian sector at the MDHUs.

The best thing to do is phone Keogh Barracks and ask to speak to the BMS training school, they should be able to answer all your questions.
  5. check your PM's
  6. Wait. The school moved from Blockhouse?

Bugger, going to miss not going back there.
  7. Yeah the school moved from Gosport and will move again once they can be accommodated in Birmingham later this year.
  8. Ah well I suppose I should be gratefull, it's closer to home what with my being a porridge wog and all.
  9. Just need to get rid of Frimley and 84 as a posting and I will no longer need to venture down south for a posting :)
  10. Hello, I'm applying to be a BMS this year, I was wondering if there were any current/ or ex BMS who would be able to answer a few questions I had, namely:

What do you do during the easter/xmas/summer holidays at university?
    How is signing off time affected by being a BMS?
    Also how much do they move you around once you're qualified?

Or would it be easier to phone Keogh Barracks and ask them? (if they're still the ones who train BMS)
  11. The BMS school is now at the new Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham, might be worthwhile getting on touch with someone there. Sorry I can't help you more, with me being a filthy STAB and all I'm not too sure how it works for you guys.
  12. Answers to your questions below:

What do you do during the easter/xmas/summer holidays at university?

Study, go on leave or continue to work in the Lab the choice is yours (leave is taken as and when you are available to take it as long as you have the necessary leave entitlement)

How is signing off time affected by being a BMS?

Signing off time as in signing off to leave the Army? 3 years post successful passing of degree to be paid back.

Also how much do they move you around once you're qualified?

Same as the most Corps, 3 years is the norm for a posting however, with more and more hospitals closing it may be that you are in one place a little longer.

Any other questions give me a shout.