Biological weapons that would target only Russians

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, May 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276436,00.html

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

polonium-210 surely!

sorry thought it was a question!

I'll get my coat

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Tom Clancy anybody...

4. Now I'm no biochemist/genetics expert, but considering we apparently share 98% of the same DNA as your average bluebottle (house fly), and wide ethnic mix in Russia, I would think it is well beyond our technology to create a bio/chem weapon to wipe out a significant chunk of the Russian population with such a weapon?

5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Funnily enough I remember a report I read that mooted the possibility of genetic weapons and kill ratios. Obviously there would be a percentage from any chosen population due to variation in the gene pool. The report concluded that there was only one country that would be resistant to one strike (i.e. one 'strain' wouldn't work, would take multiple 'strikes' and multiple 'strains') which was Isreal, which I think has the most diverse gene pool of any nation.

6. Source.... Fox News. It must be true....

On other pages...

Alabama Boy Kills 1,051-Pound Monster Pig, Bigger Than 'Hogzilla'.

7. A lot of Russians in Israel!

8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

A genetic weapon would only have to target population specific gene locii, and probably ones that has limited expressions and which has 'mutations' known (at least the the MIC) to cause deleterious effects. Potentially you could single out large percentages of any given population.

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Russian passports (as a safety net :twisted: ) maybe, but you might find that if you take the mutiple breeding populations across the land mass, many of the Russian Jews would have distinct genes, tho' after all the years they were in diaspora they would have certainly collected some 'Russian' genes, so a Russian strike could potentially take out a section of Israel, but not to a significant degree.

(edited to add even a strike at the CIS rather than just European Russia, could need several strikes.)

10. It depends though, as what you describe as the Russian population, esp since the end of the cold war and the fragmentation of the old USSR, (sorry Sergey CCCP)

11. Could we fund some research into isolating and targetting the greedy and egotistical gene in politicians? Not Russian ones, but a particularly threatening and undesirable strain that calls itself New Labour and resides in the West End of the capital city?

They must warrant at least some experimental weapons trials, if we can get the right brains onto it? In fact, I can't think of a more worthy venture.

12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

You're right the CIS are a diverse bunch, I was in Kyrgyzstan briefly and the Central Asia republics while having some 'European' Russians are effectively a different population. Still this report accepted these factors and stated that Israel. For such a small country and population, has the greatest diversity.

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Occasionally somebody moots the possibility of a 'criminal' gene, absurd to my mind, but if its exists, there's bound to also be one for meglomaniacs, even if they are good at wearing masks/persona, so its worth thinking about...

14. This reminds me a bit of the Monty Python sketch about the killer joke used to target only Germans during WWII. Our lads could emerge from cover, safely read it to the enemy and remain unharmed.

But if for example, our American cousins came up with a biological weapon specifically targetted at 'evil doers who attack our freedoms', they'd self destruct in the development stages.

15. With London fairly close behind!

Litotes