Biological weapons that would target only Russians

#1
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276436,00.html

Customs officials have banned exports of blood samples and other biological materials from Russia
...
The Health Ministry and other Russian officials gave no reason for the decision
...
The Russian daily Kommersant speculated in its Wednesday issue that the decision could be linked to the Kremlin's concept of fighting biological terrorism
...
Citing an unidentified medical source, Kommersant said the move came after Nikolai Patrushev, head of the Federal Security Service, the top KGB successor agency, presented a report on the subject to President Vladimir Putin earlier this month. The newspaper claimed the report alleged that a number of Western medical research centers were using clinical trials in Russia to prepare biological weapons that would target Russians.
 
#4
Now I'm no biochemist/genetics expert, but considering we apparently share 98% of the same DNA as your average bluebottle (house fly), and wide ethnic mix in Russia, I would think it is well beyond our technology to create a bio/chem weapon to wipe out a significant chunk of the Russian population with such a weapon?
 

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
#5
Funnily enough I remember a report I read that mooted the possibility of genetic weapons and kill ratios. Obviously there would be a percentage from any chosen population due to variation in the gene pool. The report concluded that there was only one country that would be resistant to one strike (i.e. one 'strain' wouldn't work, would take multiple 'strikes' and multiple 'strains') which was Isreal, which I think has the most diverse gene pool of any nation.
 
#7
Nehustan said:
Funnily enough I remember a report I read that mooted the possibility of genetic weapons and kill ratios. Obviously there would be a percentage from any chosen population due to variation in the gene pool. The report concluded that there was only one country that would be resistant to one strike (i.e. one 'strain' wouldn't work, would take multiple 'strikes' and multiple 'strains') which was Isreal, which I think has the most diverse gene pool of any nation.
A lot of Russians in Israel!
 

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
#8
leveller said:
Now I'm no biochemist/genetics expert, but considering we apparently share 98% of the same DNA as your average bluebottle (house fly), and wide ethnic mix in Russia, I would think it is well beyond our technology to create a bio/chem weapon to wipe out a significant chunk of the Russian population with such a weapon?
A genetic weapon would only have to target population specific gene locii, and probably ones that has limited expressions and which has 'mutations' known (at least the the MIC) to cause deleterious effects. Potentially you could single out large percentages of any given population.
 

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
#9
Random_Task said:
Nehustan said:
Funnily enough I remember a report I read that mooted the possibility of genetic weapons and kill ratios. Obviously there would be a percentage from any chosen population due to variation in the gene pool. The report concluded that there was only one country that would be resistant to one strike (i.e. one 'strain' wouldn't work, would take multiple 'strikes' and multiple 'strains') which was Isreal, which I think has the most diverse gene pool of any nation.
A lot of Russians in Israel!
Russian passports (as a safety net :twisted: ) maybe, but you might find that if you take the mutiple breeding populations across the land mass, many of the Russian Jews would have distinct genes, tho' after all the years they were in diaspora they would have certainly collected some 'Russian' genes, so a Russian strike could potentially take out a section of Israel, but not to a significant degree.

(edited to add even a strike at the CIS rather than just European Russia, could need several strikes.)
 
#10
Nehustan said:
leveller said:
Now I'm no biochemist/genetics expert, but considering we apparently share 98% of the same DNA as your average bluebottle (house fly), and wide ethnic mix in Russia, I would think it is well beyond our technology to create a bio/chem weapon to wipe out a significant chunk of the Russian population with such a weapon?
A genetic weapon would only have to target population specific gene locii, and probably ones that has limited expressions and which has 'mutations' known (at least the the MIC) to cause deleterious effects. Potentially you could single out large percentages of any given population.
It depends though, as what you describe as the Russian population, esp since the end of the cold war and the fragmentation of the old USSR, (sorry Sergey CCCP)
 
#11
Nehustan said:
leveller said:
Now I'm no biochemist/genetics expert, but considering we apparently share 98% of the same DNA as your average bluebottle (house fly), and wide ethnic mix in Russia, I would think it is well beyond our technology to create a bio/chem weapon to wipe out a significant chunk of the Russian population with such a weapon?
A genetic weapon would only have to target population specific gene locii, and probably ones that has limited expressions and which has 'mutations' known (at least the the MIC) to cause deleterious effects. Potentially you could single out large percentages of any given population.

Could we fund some research into isolating and targetting the greedy and egotistical gene in politicians? Not Russian ones, but a particularly threatening and undesirable strain that calls itself New Labour and resides in the West End of the capital city?

They must warrant at least some experimental weapons trials, if we can get the right brains onto it? In fact, I can't think of a more worthy venture.
 

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
#12
leveller said:
Nehustan said:
leveller said:
Now I'm no biochemist/genetics expert, but considering we apparently share 98% of the same DNA as your average bluebottle (house fly), and wide ethnic mix in Russia, I would think it is well beyond our technology to create a bio/chem weapon to wipe out a significant chunk of the Russian population with such a weapon?
A genetic weapon would only have to target population specific gene locii, and probably ones that has limited expressions and which has 'mutations' known (at least the the MIC) to cause deleterious effects. Potentially you could single out large percentages of any given population.
It depends though, as what you describe as the Russian population, esp since the end of the cold war and the fragmentation of the old USSR, (sorry Sergey CCCP)
You're right the CIS are a diverse bunch, I was in Kyrgyzstan briefly and the Central Asia republics while having some 'European' Russians are effectively a different population. Still this report accepted these factors and stated that Israel. For such a small country and population, has the greatest diversity.
 

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
#13
frenchperson said:
Nehustan said:
leveller said:
Now I'm no biochemist/genetics expert, but considering we apparently share 98% of the same DNA as your average bluebottle (house fly), and wide ethnic mix in Russia, I would think it is well beyond our technology to create a bio/chem weapon to wipe out a significant chunk of the Russian population with such a weapon?
A genetic weapon would only have to target population specific gene locii, and probably ones that has limited expressions and which has 'mutations' known (at least the the MIC) to cause deleterious effects. Potentially you could single out large percentages of any given population.

Could we fund some research into isolating and targetting the greedy and egotistical gene in politicians? Not Russian ones, but a particularly threatening and undesirable strain that calls itself New Labour and resides in the West End of the capital city?

They must warrant at least some experimental weapons trials, if we can get the right brains onto it? In fact, I can't think of a more worthy venture.
Occasionally somebody moots the possibility of a 'criminal' gene, absurd to my mind, but if its exists, there's bound to also be one for meglomaniacs, even if they are good at wearing masks/persona, so its worth thinking about...
 
#14
This reminds me a bit of the Monty Python sketch about the killer joke used to target only Germans during WWII. Our lads could emerge from cover, safely read it to the enemy and remain unharmed.

But if for example, our American cousins came up with a biological weapon specifically targetted at 'evil doers who attack our freedoms', they'd self destruct in the development stages.
 
#15
Nehustan said:
Funnily enough I remember a report I read that mooted the possibility of genetic weapons and kill ratios. Obviously there would be a percentage from any chosen population due to variation in the gene pool. The report concluded that there was only one country that would be resistant to one strike (i.e. one 'strain' wouldn't work, would take multiple 'strikes' and multiple 'strains') which was Isreal, which I think has the most diverse gene pool of any nation.
With London fairly close behind!

Litotes
 
#16
frenchperson said:
This reminds me a bit of the Monty Python sketch about the killer joke used to target only Germans during WWII. Our lads could safely read it to the enemy and remain unharmed.

But if for example, our American cousins came up with a biological weapon specifically targetted at 'evil doers who attack our freedoms', they'd self destruct in the development stages.
They have its called McDonalds :D
 

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
#17
Litotes said:
Nehustan said:
Funnily enough I remember a report I read that mooted the possibility of genetic weapons and kill ratios. Obviously there would be a percentage from any chosen population due to variation in the gene pool. The report concluded that there was only one country that would be resistant to one strike (i.e. one 'strain' wouldn't work, would take multiple 'strikes' and multiple 'strains') which was Isreal, which I think has the most diverse gene pool of any nation.
With London fairly close behind!

Litotes
London isn't really England tho' is it?
 
#18
KGB_resident said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276436,00.html

Customs officials have banned exports of blood samples and other biological materials from Russia
...
The Health Ministry and other Russian officials gave no reason for the decision
...
The Russian daily Kommersant speculated in its Wednesday issue that the decision could be linked to the Kremlin's concept of fighting biological terrorism
...
Citing an unidentified medical source, Kommersant said the move came after Nikolai Patrushev, head of the Federal Security Service, the top KGB successor agency, presented a report on the subject to President Vladimir Putin earlier this month. The newspaper claimed the report alleged that a number of Western medical research centers were using clinical trials in Russia to prepare biological weapons that would target Russians.
That's vodka then?

Litotes
 
#19
leveller said:
frenchperson said:
This reminds me a bit of the Monty Python sketch about the killer joke used to target only Germans during WWII. Our lads could safely read it to the enemy and remain unharmed.

But if for example, our American cousins came up with a biological weapon specifically targetted at 'evil doers who attack our freedoms', they'd self destruct in the development stages.
They have its called McDonalds :D
Damn. And it's working well :x
 
#20
Litotes said:
KGB_resident said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276436,00.html

Customs officials have banned exports of blood samples and other biological materials from Russia
...
The Health Ministry and other Russian officials gave no reason for the decision
...
The Russian daily Kommersant speculated in its Wednesday issue that the decision could be linked to the Kremlin's concept of fighting biological terrorism
...
Citing an unidentified medical source, Kommersant said the move came after Nikolai Patrushev, head of the Federal Security Service, the top KGB successor agency, presented a report on the subject to President Vladimir Putin earlier this month. The newspaper claimed the report alleged that a number of Western medical research centers were using clinical trials in Russia to prepare biological weapons that would target Russians.
That's vodka then?

Litotes
Yes, there exists well known biological weapon

40% C2H5OH + 60% H2O

However, the majority of Russians have natural immunitet for this WMD.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top