Binos

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of binos for exercise and general use please, they don't need to be Gestapo strength. Cheers.

Silvermans sell a pair of mini-binos with graticles - I've had a pair for years. The new model has a better hinge in the middle - £150; not cheap but very good quality.

I have a £12.99 Barska monocular I bought from Cotswold with a 10% discount. It's 12x25, rubber-armoured, waterproof and compact. It does everything a monocular needs to do, and at that price, it doesn't really matter if I break it, or it gets nicked.

Biscuits_AB said:
I find that stolen ones are as good as the next.
And if not, just steal another pair.

Pentax Corp - 10x21.

Bought them for watching the ships between Ryde and Potsmouth. Small compact set that will fit in your pocket and more clarity than the larger frames. They run out at about £50.

Recommended mate. Don't lose the protective caps, they are £11 per pair.

JW.

Edited - might have gone up by a few pounds but well on the money.

Swarovski 7x42 Habicht. The image is better than the real world. No, seriously. Green rubber armoured. Yours for £429.

Total lifetime warranty.
Twilight performance is mindblowing.

Unless you lose them you will never need to buy another pair and they will bring you pleasure every time you raise them to your eyes. Zeiss are as good but I don't believe you can buy better.

I have no connection with the Company other than as a satisfied customer. (And mine cost well over £500 three years ago!)

Get some here:
http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Mod...bicht_7x42_GA__Binoculars_With_Rubber_Armour_

I was walking down to the seafront with the kids and I clocked the headline in the Daily Mail. We sat on Ryde beach and I told them I could see a woman, through my bino's, sitting on Southsea eating a bag of chips and reading a newspaper.
" So what does the newspaper say" ? the older one asked with a certain amount of scorn. So I gave them the headline.

On the way back to the house, via the newsagents, I heard the youngest one say, " He's right, look at this Mxxxxx "

JoseyWales said:
I was walking down to the seafront with the kids and I clocked the headline in the Daily Mail. We sat on Ryde beach and I told them I could see a woman, through my bino's, sitting on Southsea eating a bag of chips and reading a newspaper.
" So what does the newspaper say" ? the older one asked with a certain amount of scorn. So I gave them the headline.

On the way back to the house, via the newsagents, I heard the youngest one say, " He's right, look at this Mxxxxx "
Nice one! :D

ugly

LE
Anything by Steiner, buy them in the US they are ridiculously cheap. For quality go with Leica/Swarovski, for Value steiner 8x30s.

For quality binos, there are only 3 brands worth bothering with: Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss.

All are roughly the same in terms of quality and price. Price, of course, is the major barrier to purchase at this end of the market.

For "best" binos, expect to spend and arm and a leg, whatever model you go for. Maybe both legs. But boy, is it worth it.

Getting good and cheap with optics is very difficult. I wouldn't bother with any binos costing less than, say, £80 as the image quality just won't be worth bothering with.

Best "budget" binos, for my money are Steiner. Try the Safari 8x32, a good compromise of size, weight, durability and quality.

Mr Happy

LE
OK, as someone that has had to carry bino's and those x50 scope for OP work, can ANYONE explain to me what is wrong with using a SUSAT? I get the 2D vs 3D diff but why oh why does a soldier need a pair of bino's on a normal op (other than OP) and why oh why are they in any way worth the weight?

Also, if you do have bino's don't you absolutely want them to be laser proof or is that standard for even civvies these days?

Part 2. can anyone explain what 8x30 and 10x40 etc means? SUSAT and SUIT was "x4" and that was clear to me but bino's confuse me.

ugly

LE
Ok, objective lense, nearest the object you are looking at and ocular lense nearest the eye. Now if you are 8 x 30 then the ocular lense is an 8 x mag and the ocular is 30 times. There have been tests done that prove that average human eyes can only use the light entering something like a 7 x 40 lense set up, hence most fixed mag sporting scopes are around 8 x 56 to allow the maximum useable light and then some.
Hang around Ex_Stab will give the techie lesson shortly! What I have written was gleaned from lectures on optical instrument manufacture at the IWM.

What's wrong with using a SUSAT?

Well, unless you remove it from the rifle, it would imply that you are using a weapon as a telescope...

...pointing a weapon at thing that you have not positively identified as a threat.

Not great from a weapon safety point of view and, frankly likely to provoke a violent response even from the most peaceable folk

"Crikey, that Brit's pointing his gat at me - better grab my AK and nail him first..."

ugly said:
Ok, objective lense, nearest the object you are looking at and ocular lense nearest the eye. Now if you are 8 x 30 then the ocular lense is an 8 x mag and the ocular is 30 times. There have been tests done that prove that average human eyes can only use the light entering something like a 7 x 40 lense set up, hence most fixed mag sporting scopes are around 8 x 56 to allow the maximum useable light and then some.
Hang around Ex_Stab will give the techie lesson shortly! What I have written was gleaned from lectures on optical instrument manufacture at the IWM.
Example: 8x30. 8 is the magnification. 30 is the diameter of the objective (front) lens in millimetres. Bigger lenses allow more light through.

If you want to have the same brightness of image at a higher magnification you need a bigger objective lens. This is why fixed power scopes and binoculars tend to go 4x30, 7x42, 8x56etc.

If you divide the objective lens diameter by the magnification you get the diameter of the exit pupil in mm. There is no point having an exit pupil greater than 7mm as your eye can't open up more than that so most ratios work around that.

If you were to buy a pair of 10x42 binoculars they wouldn't be as bright in low light as a pair of 7x42 for example. A pair of 4x42 binoculars on the other hand would, technically, be brighter than 7x42 but as your pupil can't open beyond 7mm you wouldn't get the benefit or be able to tell the difference.

Is that any clearer? :omg:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wg100 Weapons, Equipment & Rations 21
T Weapons, Equipment & Rations 6
T Classified Ads 13