Binoculars

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by WhiteHorse, Feb 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, apart form the issue ones, what Bino's do you use? I'm after a new pair of fairly smallish binos and would like to know which ones to avoid or what to look for and where's to best place to buy etc. :wink:

2. You a peeping tom? :twisted:

3. Only part-time :wink:

4. I have a pair of Swarovski 10x25 - or do I mean 25x10? Anyway, they are the parallel tube pocket sized ones and they are worth every penny of the £300 I paid for them. This is very definitely an area where it's worth paying for quality.

And don't be put off by the shiny Swarovski logo or the fact that they make those nasty crystal thingies - their optical stuff is world class.

5. LIDL "TRIONIC 10x25" £7.99 cheap as chips and perfectly adequate for spying on your neighbours

6. Nice and cheap but probably not much use after 3 days in the Pi**ing rain, after 8 hours in the back of a rover 2 weeks into an Ex.

7. I can recommend anything by Zeiss or Pentax- bombproof.

My current pentaxes were run over by a LWB landy on tarmac and are undamaged except for indentations to the rubbery casing. (They're 7x50s)

8. Got a pair of SIMMONS 8x21, even got a free Swiss army knife with them, I can now prune the flowers and watch the neighbours at the same time, close up. Cost $15 in the PX and they were a pressie :lol:

9. I keep these in my shooting bag which is not the driest,cleanest or most knock-free part of this planet.Still doing the job after 2 years.I have not used them in an infantry river crossing, the rainforest or the arctic I must admit.I also do not have shares in LIDL.My previous ZEISS pair did not stand up to living in these conditions.

10. I stand corrected, its just the thought of getting caught in Lidl :wink: Do they still sell them?

11. Try STEINER Germany.

my Ralley 10x50 are just kin amazing. Really great optics and water proof. not that small but you can see everyting anytime.

Not cheap tho but the same size and weight as a pair of 1944 issued.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I own a pair of steiner 8X30 predators I use when stalking (no jokes please) I bought them in the US for less than it cost to make and ship them from Germany. Why do they cost so much here when you can find them that is!
    Oh yes robbing gits in EU perhaps?
    They are amazing and close to Swarovski/leicca without the mortgage.
    I tend to get my optics in Canada/US as I pay less than half and the quality is superb. Check the contents of my freezer for proof!

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I like the big GS jobs, see for miles, unless you turn them round and then its like LSD trip according to Dui-Lai!