Binoculars for leisure use

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PopsnArch, Nov 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to buy my husband some binos. Whilst walking our dogs, they always go off for an adventure over some distance, leaving us only seeing 'a dot on the landscape'. I'd be grateful for advice on any type of binos which are convenient to put in a fleece but sufficient to see over a reasonable distance.

Thanks

2. Go down the shop and try some out.

3. I can heartily recommend my tough Steiner Safari 8 x 30, fixed focus so no twiddling, and rubberised so pretty bash-proof.

Steiner Binoculars - 8x30 Safari

Also quite compact for the FOV.

4. What a help you are PF, back to the NAAFI for you...

I see Tesco is doing a deal on Bino's at the moment, best you get down there and try them out!

But back to the OP, have a look on Amazon and read the reviews! Do not look at paying more than £30-ish unless you are into something more serious!

5. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I had a similar problem but couldnt afford binoculars.

My solution to the problem was to paint my dogs dayglo and saw a their feet off.

6. Lay off the terps PG!:)

7. Umm, thats the OBVIOUS answer but i can't view an object over a mile in a normal shop thus asking people on here whether they have bought any kinda binos which I want..... good grief....

8. Thanks, will take a look (excuse the pun!)

9. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Depends what the shop windows look over.

You could look into the sky, that goes up a long way, often more than a mile in some counties.

Why don't you, on the way for your walk, drive up to the place you want to look at. Take a photo on your phone, then refer to it on your walk. Hence saving money of Binos.

Alternativley, get some glasses like my dad got. He was ships look out on the atlantic conveyor, but he couldn't hold up bonos for very long

[​IMG]

10. Any dog paw recipes? Mine has four and I'm sure he'd manage with two.

11. good point but a little drastic

12. I'd start by recommending training the dogs a bit better. Dogs that are "a dot in the distance" are hardly "under control".

...and yes, lots of good makes/expensive out there if you want a family heirloom. Something with less of a brand-name, 8x30, rubber coated and with a decent lanyard so hubby can sling 'em round his neck should do it if you are less of a fashion victim.

13. Mine has 8, but i may be seeing double!

14. Been to Twelverife ?

15. robbed from Emo Philips..... " I rang my girlfriend last night. They said "She's not in". I thought, What ? Do they think I don't have a telescope ?......"