Binned for standing up for serving soldiers!

Discussion in 'RAC' started by SkiBum, Nov 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The bellow text is from a mate who spoke his mind about a project he was working on. As a result he is now unemployed. As well as having a degree in engineering. I must point out that he was a Crew Commander (RAC) and Gunner Mech’, so knows what he’s talking about and what the lads and lasses still serving need. I have no personal knowledge of the project, but I do know, he would have been very closely connected to it and would have been well aware of the consequences of speaking out.
    I have posted this in the NAAFI, for maximum coverage and copied it to RAC and Infantry.

“For some strange reason my employer didn't like me pointing out that we were putting an overpriced, underperforming, potentially dangerous gun on a chassis that was twice the size of the one the Army had actually asked for.

When I further protested about commercial organisations putting profits before the lives of British soldiers, it was decided that perhaps I was in the wrong job. Ah well, tell the boys on Facebook that I tried, but even a Lancer can't fight 2,500 *********. (Well you can, you just lose!) Unfortunately, in the case, so has the taxpayer, to the tune of £5 Billion, and the Army, which will end up with a much less capable set of AFV's than the fleet they have now.
    Of course joe public, nor indeed the Army, will notice anything amiss. Some career bull shitter will tell the Minister that all is well and the Army will be suitably grateful when re-equipped with their undergunned, underarmoured, barn-sized, barely mobile death trap.
    Similarly, the complacent **** who turned a blind eye to my pointing out that a certain company was hazarding the lives of the Infantry so that they could gain a contract, will arselick his way to a gold-plated pension, sufficient to pay the wages of a complete fire team.

Then, as happened with Nimrod, everybody will be trying to blame everybody else when a score of young men die for no good reason.”
  2. What is this AFV of which he speaks?
  3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As true or untrue as this statement may be, the fact remains that as a serving soldier it is your job to do as you are told, shut the fcuk up and simply get on with it. Unfortunately your oppo forgot this golden rule and has only himself to blame for his unemployment.
  4. Granted but if it was to endanger lives surely it is better to put the point forward?
  5. There are ways and means of getting a point across without getting the sack
  6. Did you read it properly? His friend is working for a private company, therefore I assume he's no-longer serving :roll:
  7. I think the point is that he wasn't a serving soldier, having been one in the past he was working for the contractor supplying the less than satisfactory piece of equipment.

But hey, why read and understand what's written when you can just have a quick scan an make a chippy comment, eh?
  8. I left in 1988. He left a few years later and put himself through university.
  9. Get him to message MintyMcGinty - looks like a good story if true. I'm all for embarassing the present bunch of *********.
  10. All sounds a bit odd to me.

Maybe the possibility of this AFV being put through it's paces for months by the R&D dept of the manufacturer (QinetiQ/Alvis/BAE/Vickers/Et Al) and then several more months in the UK and/or theatre by the ATDU (Or whatever it's called now?) may unearth this slight oversight or am I just being a bit glib?

One ex-Crew Commander armed with a degree does not make for a huge industrial conspiracy against the MOD. Is it possibly that he was stating concerns that weren't there and the company just got fed up with him?

What does this Military Engineering genius knows that the whole MOD procurement and evaluations agencies will not find out?

Perhaps he is (was) in the wrong job.
  11. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

The only system I can think of which matches the description is FRES SV - which was bid for yesterday.

So that makes him BAE, GD or Civil Serpent...I'm going for BAE or CS as GD isn't big enough to have 2,500 *********...

Interesting statements on his part if it is FRES SV.....the Gun and size/weight are defined by the MOD/DE&S so not actually a commercial companies fault.

But one thing to remember...never stand up for yourself until you have an exit strategy worked out...

12. I take it this means FRES is not on course to be well received :(

What defency company does he work for, pray tell?

Edited to add: Beaten to it!
  13. If his (former) employer was working on a design/bid against a specification provided by the MoD then I assume his warning was more along the lines of "this isn't worth the paper it's written on".

I don't know about any one else out there, but when I receive a tender which isn't for what I asked for then it goes straight in the bin.

MoD on the other hand..
  14. Does he work for Atkins? If so I know him. Can you ask him to drop me a line?
  15. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Blimey if he was working for Atkins then tell him to keep running..;)