Binge watching - OZ

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
Guys,

I'm not a massive fan of box set binging - I really don't have the time, especially with a newborn and a business to run however in a moment of boredom I stumbled across a series called Oz. Set in an american prison with dozens of faces you'll recognise, generally from SVU / Law & Order / NCIS etc etc etc - First episode was "WTF was that I just watched.......??" however if you push on it is absolutely engrossing. Nasty, racist, violent, every prison fantasy you can imagine (and there's plenty on this site) is there and pretty full on. I've currently invested about 25 hours so far and my wife even said as I was watching it with Monty the other day - "if social services hear about this they'll have him off us!"

Give it a try guys - you won't be disappointed. Though don't watch it with impressionable kids unless you want the N word machine-gunned out every second syllable.

Oz was a groundbreaking good series. Don't end up shanking the postman tomorrow morning when he knocks on your door and fails to show you "respect" though, just don't overdo it on the engrossing okay?

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
Oz was a groundbreaking good series. Don't end up shanking the postman tomorrow morning when he knocks on your door and fails to show you "respect" though, just don't overdo it on the engrossing okay?
Schillinger's a right cnut!! As for Adabeezi - as my granny would say - "Thats a bad black....." God rest her racist soul :)

I binged watched it years ago - absolutely brilliant series and some of it really quite disturbing

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
Try it again mate - its there, all 8 glorious seasons of racial harmony! Very complex plotting though to cut it short everyone hates everyone

i was really into it in the early 2000's. its a beautifully Machiavellian show.

theres an example of a bloke who rocks up who seems to be shaping up to be one of the main guys after 4-5 episodes until he annoys a bloke who half beats him to death then bums him for good measure. three years later (in season and real time) he appears again, just discharged from the psych ward, and you wonder what they've brought him back for....turns out just to get bummed and murdered by the same bloke. there's no rhyme nor reason to the mayhem and being a key character wont saved you from being stabbed, strangled, beaten to death or bricked alive inside a wall.

it makes Game of Thrones look like Sesame Street.

keep an eye on O'Reily, he plays the long game.

TamH70

MIA
Where is Oz available for watching? I saw quite a bit of the show when I was sojourning in Canada trying to keep the Opfor and Battlegroup killing themselves in BATUS as part of the Ops Room team.

Bogie_Bear

War Hero

theres an example of a bloke who rocks up who seems to be shaping up to be one of the main guys after 4-5 episodes until he annoys a bloke who half beats him to death then bums him for good measure. three years later (in season and real time) he appears again, just discharged from the psych ward, and you wonder what they've brought him back for....turns out just to get bummed and murdered by the same bloke. there's no rhyme nor reason to the mayhem and being a key character wont saved you from being stabbed, strangled, beaten to death or bricked alive inside a wall.

Absolutely nailed it! No rhyme or reason , being a nice guy doesn't help either though Tobias has morphed fantastically from lawyer to psycho! I think the greatest question is how the ******* hell does Abadeezi keep that hat on his head?????

Also I didn't realise the show was pre 9-11. That would have shifted the power concentration a bit!!
another interesting pre 9-11 show is the West Wing. Season one being in 1999/2000. There's a bit where there are some domestic terrorists and there's a whole spiel about how ensuring the terrorists rights are protected is important because this is the land of liberty and apple pie.

second season, not so much.

Absolutely nailed it! No rhyme or reason , being a nice guy doesn't help either though Tobias has morphed fantastically from lawyer to psycho! I think the greatest question is how the ******* hell does Abadeezi keep that hat on his head?????

i think that's called personal growth

Apparently the actors worked out that if they were late on set, they could expect to be murdered or raped within the next few episodes.

There was an episode of The Simpson’s where Homer is in prison. As part of the deal for being a snitch, he asks for, and gets, a hat just like that.

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
Up to season 5 now. Sat there giving Monty his bottle whilst watching a bloke give a blow job and then have his neck broken as the bloke cums in his mouth. MiL and Mrs in front room watching Love Island so my guilt assuaged somewhat!

Oz is brutally brilliant. One of the most bizarre drunken chats I've ever had is explaining where I knew the star of the Farmers Insurance ads from to an American.

Oz is brutally brilliant. One of the most bizarre drunken chats I've ever had is explaining where I knew the star of the Farmers Insurance ads from to an American.
That’s another thing you notice over the years, the cast pop up everywhere. This is partly because they seemed to get a decent group together who’ve all been successful and partly because all the murder meant a high turnover rate.

Latest Threads