Binge Drinking / Drink Related Crime: A Remedy

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rajaz, Aug 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Prescription to be taken with small pinch of salt.

· Chief Constables should be elected on their ability to cut the kind of crime that matters to most people, eg burglary, assault, drug dealing, etc.

· If there is trouble at a bar, say on a Friday night, Chief Constables should have the power to close that particular bar on the following Friday.

· All bars must be able to serve (good) food throughout opening hours.

· Limited number of standing-only type bars in any given town centre.

· City centre alcohol licenses to be reviewed every 4 months.

· Financial incentives for licensees who keep an orderly house, eg, lower business rates, bonuses for staff, public recognition.

· Name & shame irresponsible licensees and their brewery or financial backers.

· Publish league tables which show the number of incidents at or after leaving City Centre bars & after which hospital treatment was required.

· Rogues-gallery of piss-heads caught on CCTV being put into the back of Police vans .. displayed at city bus-stops and similar advertising spots.

· Drinks industry to finance all of the above. (yes, I know that’s us).

· Chief C*ntstubbles to be dumped if they don’t perform. Eg, North Wales, Nottingham, etc.

If any of these powers are already available to the Police/City Councils …
    Why don’t they use them?

Rajaz’s ARRSE exemption ..
    None of the above to be acted on in areas in which ARRSE members live, lest they be Chief C*ntstubbles/Licensees/Offended/Caught on CCTV/ Need stitches.

Nb: ‘C*ntstubbles’. I think this is Chaucer, around 1368.

2. A simpler way would just be to give plod the right to use water cannon to hose down anybody causing grief. Not high-pressure riot control cannon, just enough to get them wet and miserable enough to head home.
    After all it's been said that the best aid to keeping the peace is rain.

3. Good idea. Take it a stage further: in an Arsenal or Liverpool area add a blue dye, in a
    Rangers area spray them green, you get my drift. Girls only. I can see impromptu Wet T-shirt competitions
    happening all over the country. No. sorry! you said keep the peace, didn't you?

Scrub that last one.
    Not litterally.

4. A simpler idea.

Bring back the drunk tank.

Drunk at the weekend? In you go until 10am Monday morning when you are up in front of the Magistrate. On top of that, an escaling series of fines - £100 for the first offence, £200 for the second, £400 for the third, £800 for the fourth etc.

5. Fines that increase but on a percentage of your wage.

That way some spunker footballer on a squillion pounds a week can't simply overlook it.

Bring in work details.

The drunkards spend x amount of days going around for an hour picking up the recycling (see chocolate_frogs alternative GREAT Britain) and other junk at about 22:00 hours and pick up litter and generally scrub the place down for an hour at 06:00 hrs.

quality. If they don't turn up for works detail then they are hunted down thrashed and locked up.

6. Ah!
    Someone with a social conscience! (ironic laughter). Sorry. my Smilies are'nt working.

Tell me, how many times have you seen the cult fim 'Cool Hand Luke'?
    I've lost count. Forerunner to Shawshank, in my view.

Just so we don't get pushed off into the NAAFI bar ..
    What about the points I raised?

7. Er, are you talking to me Rajaz?

If so never even heard of Cool Hand Luke. Have seen Shawshank.

Why would we be pushed in to the NAAFI Bar?

I have put these thoughts across lots of times, including on the current affairs board and nothing has happened. I actually believe they would work, very well.

A dam sight better than various out reach programmes that are going on.

Any way the points you raised.

Rogues gallery wouldn't work on all people, the chavs would see it as a badge of honour, probably pull them off the walls and put them on the mantelpiece.

The score card for the pubs and clubs would be an paperwork nightmare and would probably collapse in a deluge of backhanders and inertia.

It's not so much standing room but client limits you need. You can't force everybody to sit down, and when the chairs are full people would still stand.

The voting in of a specific individual with a responsiblity for law and order is a good idea, although we have plenty of elected officials already. Maybe it should be the Mayors or simlar local councilors job. The Chief Inspector is the CI for a reason, he has the experience of years in the job. Admittedly some are absolutely barking and about as in touch with reality as some of the politicians and judges, maybe they could be a bit easier to sack at the discretion of the Mayor or similar.

Also whilst on works detail, drinking would be banned. If they rocked up and failed the breathlyser they'd be thrashed.

8. Er. Yes Chocalate Frog.

Hang on while I respond. Bit slow at typing. Be back soon.
    Got to gather me thoughts.

9. Its coming soon.

10. [​IMG]

Edited to fix picture

11. I’ll mention Cool Hand Luke later, because if you havn’t seen the film, there’s no point.
    For now I’ll just say that it’s a classic prison movie, with Paul Newman.

You have many points.
    I am not going to duck out of any of them.

Your first point
    “Rogues gallery wouldn't work on all people, the chavs would see it as a badge of honour, probably pull them off the walls and put them on the mantelpiec

The Rogues Gallery might not work at first with the individuals involved. It’s later on that the past catches up with someone. So, this a long term term stratagy. If this was applied in the St. Annes area of Nottingham for 5 years or more, Kids might see that its not worth doing what their Dad or Brother did before they got banged up for dealing or ABH. At least the general public will have an idea who to avoid. Pictures could be on Police notice boards or in the local press.

No.2
    'The score card for the pubs and clubs would be an paperwork nightmare and would probably collapse in a deluge of backhanders and inertia'.

Point taken.
    Admittedly the potential for corruption is there. However, if the basis for a bar being shut down was a combination of CCTV, Police and Paramedic statements within a stripped down legal system, applying only to City Centre bars, this need not be too beurocratic.

I suspect that the number of incidents at any particular bar would diminish after a couple of Saturday-night shut downs.

No.3
    ‘It's not so much standing room but client limits you need. You can't force everybody to sit down, and when the chairs are full people would still stand’.

There are still Fire regulations to adhere to. If the limit to the number of people entering into a bar is reduced, then there shouldn’t be a problem. Licensees will surely invent ways to make up the £ difference? After all, there will still be the same number of people wandering around town looking for a good time? Their challenge is to draw the customers in without causing social disturbance. The successful business people will clean up.

In my view, this is THE answer. Create a business atmosphere that apeals to younger drinkers, without any aggro. Hmmm.

No.4
    'The voting in of a specific individual with a responsiblity for law and order is a good idea, although we have plenty of elected officials already. Maybe it should be the Mayors or simlar local councilors job. The Chief Inspector is the CI for a reason, he has the experience of years in the job. Admittedly some are absolutely barking and about as in touch with reality as some of the politicians and judges, maybe they could be a bit easier to sack at the discretion of the Mayor or similar'.

It worked in New York
    It nearly worked in Middlesborough, but for political in-fighting.

With the right balances and checks, I think it could work again.

12. There is much debate on whether or not it worked in New York.

Another reason they think it may have worked was the slackening of a number of laws concerning abortion.

There was an article recently in the Times, discussing the various merits of, not to put too fine a point on it, stopping the problem at source.

If the Chavettes don't spawn Chavlettes there is less of a problem.

I really think the Rogues Gallery wouldn't work. Better to hammer them hard with fines, and or other measures. Loss of passports for a length of time if not permanently, loss of driving licence similarly esp if drink driving is a factor or likely, total banning from pubs and or certain areas. Banning from booze.

13. Whoa, Is this the turkeys voting for Christmas thread???

Drink related crime is crime. Unless its just high spirits....

Surely binge drinking is not a social evil, but an important part of our military heritage, essential for team building and a fund of amusing anecdotes....

Ahhhhh binge drinking is an activity carried out by civilians of the lower orders and cannot be compared in any way to any offocial or unofficial aspect of military life.. ;)

I like the idea of a drinking licence floated on the BBC Now Sjhow. Don't licence the pub licence the drinker. You have to pass a drinking test in some massive pub in Swansea.