Bin the over 50s; effect on your unit?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bravo_Bravo, Aug 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In all seriousness, how would your unit be affected if the coffin dodgers where told not to come back?

2. We would lose one SNCO who would be missed, and a few JNCO and troops who wouldn't. Somehow I think the reserves as a whole would survive.

3. Everyone, one step forward.Other than that less TEMs, VRSMs etc in the bar and more tour gongage.

• Like Like x 2
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

In general, some quite good blokes leaving who would otherwise have stayed on for a few more years - in some cases, well past their "best before" date.

One or two rare exceptions who would be a real loss, but nothing that couldn't be replaced.

5. The key phrase I think. Despite some holding "life experience" over all other qualities.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Allow unit to move from smoke signals to the digital age?

7. 90% of the NRPS and 2 staffys in my unit one of them being the SQMS which means they will make one of the considerably younger SNCO's do the SQMS job which they dont want to do

8. In all seriousness give up on the subject.

I would get my way andmy team would get new blood infused into it.

Experience loss ok thats always a sticking point but how can we expect people to gain experience if the slots aren't freed up but putting the old War horses out to pasture.

9. Give our trade skills, mobilisations and output on weekends a real knock. Some oldies have a lot, lot more than "life experience" to offer. As always, it will be different for others.

10. Not to sound confontational but would you see yourself as one of the younger / junior blokes?

11. simply removing SNCO/WO types doesnt mean you automatically move up. Its a young unqualified buckfucks eternal moan. Most of the trainers in my unit are all top end rank, mainly because they have to deliver due to "unmotivated" juniors or thick ***** so to speak.

Try running a range and when asked for a qual just say " I am a young lion with a medal". See what reply you get.

Yes its a young mans game but....................

Oh and yes B_B you are too old!

12. bursts into tears...

13. There There it was not meant as an insult xx

14. msr

msr LE

I dread the effect it will have on arrse, when they all come here to, er, no wait....

15. Given the number of "oldies" currently on tour/recovering from/preparing for tour, I would say that it would seriously affect us. Be a bit of a bummer to get back from Afghanistan to be told "**** off your not wanted anymore" but it will happen eventually.