Biltong

Purely for those of us who'd live on the stuff (plus a Castle or two) given the chance, I thought I'd mention the two places in London where I've bought good quality biltong in the last few weeks. First is Selfridge's on Oxford St, where I've pigged out on some excellent pili-pili biltong now and then, and secondly at a wee booth in the tunnel under London Bridge Station, which seems to be pretty good. No game meat, but the beef's of the necessary standard, and the mix is nice. Some good pubs nearby too; what more do you want?

Not bad from Wimbledon tube station. Once spent £30 on the stuff there, and spent the rest of the day in the pub drinking Fosters and munching on Biltong. Good times.

Wally's deli in Cardiff do it too

DozyBint said:
You can buy it online here or get it direct from the shop at 206 Guildford Road, Bisley - excellent stuff, the butcher is a Saffa.
Looks a bit pricey, that. Have you ever bought it through the post?

Whiskybreath said:
Purely for those of us who'd live on the stuff (plus a Castle or two) given the chance, I thought I'd mention the two places in London where I've bought good quality biltong in the last few weeks. First is Selfridge's on Oxford St, where I've pigged out on some excellent pili-pili biltong now and then, and secondly at a wee booth in the tunnel under London Bridge Station, which seems to be pretty good. No game meat, but the beef's of the necessary standard, and the mix is nice. Some good pubs nearby too; what more do you want?
Second that it is lekker from there, there is a guy that sells it in Blackbushe market too if any of you are over that end of the world.

There's loads of places that sell the game versions... kudu (nice), ostrich (very metallic taste) and a few others... last time I bought some was at the kiosk on Kensington High Street tube station platform (South bound) a couple of weeks back. The peri peri beef is my favourite.
The Bok Shop in Covent Garden sells packets and also sells it fresh, they cut slices off to order from the meat counter. Definately worth a visit if you like biltong.

Mugatu2 said:
The Bok Shop in Covent Garden sells packets and also sells it fresh, they cut slices off to order from the meat counter. Definately worth a visit if you like biltong.
Is that near Maiden Lane? My RFA buddy says I should try biltong.

catchyerselfon said:
Whiskybreath said:
Second that it is lekker from there, there is a guy that sells it in Blackbushe market too if any of you are over that end of the world.
I can third that, they also do a good range of sausages too.

S

stabradop

Agreed sainty, I got some stuff from there when I was up that way on a training course last summer. mmmm

just to add to the list, I usually get all my stuff from these nice chaps...

www.susmans.co.uk

Easy to make yourself; I've carried a length of paracord and a box of paperclips around for years in order to take advantage of any spare airconditioning unit...
There's lots of how-to guides on the internet for recipes, and if you have a dry spare room/garage where there's shade and no dust, a fan, aforementioned means of hanging the strips and paperclips to hang them on, you can make it in c. three days upwards. The best meat is hippo, but Tesco doesn't sell it, the twats.

I've made some while visiting my old girl in Spain, hung out to dry in the sun with a mozzi net, climate is obviously a bit better than over here.

Used one of my grans ancient receipe books but had to adapt the ingredients slightly as it called for 5lbs of salt petre and I didn't fancy a visit from the spick equivalent of MI5 8O

Mr_Deputy said:
It's not impossible to make at home. I haven't tried but pretty sure my uncle used to when he was back from Zambia. Also an ex-booty I used to work with got heavy into dried jerk meat after working in the US and I know he made it himself at home using beef and turkey meat in the oven. Its as simple as cuting meat to size in strips, treating the meat with salt or sugar or both plus some flavour if you want it and leave to dry in a low oven.
Whats the difference between jerky and biltong, anyone know? Is it as simple as one is from the US and the other from the Saffies?

Will have to try this biltong stuff if its of the same ilk as jerky...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Waldorfmuppet The Intelligence Cell 17