Billy the Para

2/51

LE

This was taken last year at the Lonach Gathering, Strathdon. Billy normally turns up as he is the Patron (I believed he was patron of the games, not the society, but I have been informed otherwise. apologies for that), but last year he seemed to have had a fashion hick-up ;)

If any Paras wish to buy a maroon bonnet, I have a contact :)

PS, no, thats not me in the photo.

Last edited:
IIRC he was a para in the TA

Doesn't excuse the state of that beret though.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer

This was taken last year at the Lonach Gathering, Strathdon. Billy normally turns up as he is the Patron, but last year he seemed to have had a fashion hick-up ;)

If any Paras wish to buy a maroon bonnet, I have a contact :)

PS, no, thats not me in the photo.
Oh, he's fully entitled to wear the cap badge, although the maroon-and-sky blue Balmoral is... um.... a brave fashion statement.

You are questioning the fashion sense of a man who first became famous wearing boots shaped like huge bananas?

So he's transformed the maroon beret into a hat.

simbo

LE
Personally I think it's rather fetching and good on him for being proud of his past. Maybe it will catch on with the current Bns and the cross-hatching on the TOS could replace DZ flashes. Stands back and lights the Blue Touchpaper.

F uck me this is the 21st century, good luck to him!

Jimmer

Old-Salt
I thought he was modelling the headwear for the independent scottish para reg, ready for the big yes vote.......

2/51

LE
Some folk take life to seriously. Its in NAAFI as its tongue in cheek!

I have met the Big Yin several times through pipe bands. the Lonach Gathering and fishing (I fish his bit of the Aberdeenshire Don) and a nicer bloke you could not meet! Terrible news about his illness, not sure if he will make Lonach this year.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
At least the cap badge is over his left eye and not his left ear.

Cpl_ Jones

Clanker
IIRC he was a para in the TA

There’s an excuse for him after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and prostate cancer. So someone else dresses him and he can’t piss right but he can wear the Cap Badge he isn’t a Crapp Hat (he just wears one in this photograph)

Very dapper, where can one buy those?

Good for him wearing the badge; too many twats have been brought up believing the Parachute Regiment is something akin to the Waffen SS and the Einsatzgruppen, that was deployed to solve the Paddy problem.

He's been a civvy for a long time. Bulling boots and shaping hats is stuff that squaddies do.

D

Djelli Beybii

His Mrs was on the One show the other night. IIRC she said that he has had an operation to remove the cancerous bit, and that it was a success and that he has the Parkinsons thing under control?

Fair play to the bloke, I couldn't be a Para, stab or regular. Don't like heights for a start.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
His Mrs was on the One show the other night. IIRC she said that he has had an operation to remove the cancerous bit, and that it was a success and that he has the Parkinsons thing under control?
Fair play to the bloke, I couldn't be a Para, stab or regular. Don't like fights for a start.
Thursday afternoon offer.

You are welcome.

2/51

LE
He did a total of 17 jumps in the 1960's. and spent a summer camp running around Ctprus trying to catch a Green Howard :)
As for where to get one of the Balmorals...I believe it was made for him as a present.

He did a total of 17 jumps in the 1960's. and spent a summer camp running around Ctprus trying to catch a Green Howard :)
As for where to get one of the Balmorals...I believe it was made for him as a present.
by someone who doesn't like him?

Latest Threads