Billy Connolly on tour

ZappBrannigan

Old-Salt
Saw the The Big Yin last night at Perth Concert Hall,he was brilliant and on top form.Was kind of worried when my wife bought the tickets as thought we might be going to see him when he was past his best after his cancer op and having Parkinsons.Wont give any spoilers about his gig but if you get a chance def go and see him,he still has that wee mischeivous glint in his eye when telling his stories and gags and had the audience in hysterics.

His gigs are never the same, He has a rough story line but always ends up going off on another funny story seen him in Glasgow in 2005 brilliant.

I hope the ticket agency hasn't sold too many tickets for the shows later in the run...

Imago

Old-Salt
He got a five-star review in The Times:

Walking out to a huge ovation, Billy Connolly responds to a sell-out audience in Perth by telling them: “You’re only doing that because I’m not well.” It’s one of the things he has to get out of the way. Last summer he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and Parkinson’s disease. The cancer was cut out and he was given the all-clear. If this performance is a guide, he will not be letting Parkinson’s hold him back any time soon.

Then there’s the other thing, at least in Scotland, dealt with in his second breath. “How did you enjoy the referendum?” he yells. “What a load of shite. Whatever your judgment you’re going to end up with politicians.” There are cheers and it’s gone.

For the next two hours it’s Connolly as you almost knew him. At 71 his shoulders are rounded and his stomach sticks out from his black frockcoat. He keeps his notes on a table that he touches occasionally as if he might fall over. Parkinson’s is both a kind of a prop, his trembling hands the butt of jokes, and the excuse for the rambling stories that are the hallmark of his shows. “Why am I telling you this?” he wonders at one point, “I have no idea.” He’s friendly, needy almost.

All of this engages sympathy, but the extraordinary thing about this very funny show is the physicality that remains. Connolly uses his arms to mimic the walk of an officious, gay shop assistant. He plays back his folk career, bending, stretching, shaking, groaning to conjure up a gig in a hospice complete with beds, drips, wheelchairs and Connolly on autoharp, serenading a corpse.

Most gracefully of all, he mimics his encounter with an airport’s moving pavement. It’s played in profile, like Tommy Cooper might have done it: short hesitant steps to get on; long stretches as the speed of the thing carries him away; the people who won’t get on but instead walk fast alongside; the large men who park themselves and their two heavy cases in the middle of the moving walkway. The audience convulse with laughter.

At last, Connolly looks at his notes and sees that he’s done. “I always made it a rule to walk off the same night I walked on,” he says, embarking on another story. It involves his former band the Humblebums, a May ball, paraffin heaters and a converted ambulance. Connolly wilts with laughter at the ridiculousness of it all and finally shuffles off. Everyone else just cheers.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/stage/comedy/article4224592.ece

Went to see him last night in Belfast and despite knowing about his illnesses I had a bit of a shock. He shuffled onto the stage and more or less stood in the one position the entire night and even had a chair on the stage should he have needed it.(he didn't) However the humour and wit was classic Billy, both about his illnesses and the state of the world we are in now. What a bugger of a disease Parkinson's is. If you're ever back here Big Yin,I'll be there.

Ps holy thread resurrection,I know.

Honkers

Old-Salt
My missus met him last year. She went to see Adele in Glasgow and when in the Hotel she calls the lift and when the doors open Billy Connolly is standing there, she gets in and comments on his unusual shoes and they have a little natter on the way down during which he says he is there for some comedy week and she asks if it would it be alright to get a photo with him. On getting to reception she meets her friends, they are surprised to say the least to see her walk out of the lift with Billy and they have a chat for a few minutes. Billy has to head off and they head off to the concert. She's gutted she forgot to get a picture

Next morning she is coming back from breakfast and hears a voice saying "You promised me a photo sweetheart", turns around and its Billy who then poses for a photo with her, asks her if she enjoyed the concert and chats for a bit again, she told him that I was a big fan and would be gutted I missed meeting him (I was and still am) but she said he was just the nicest bloke and genuinely seemed to enjoy meeting everyone who sauntered up to him. She said he was clearly suffering the effects of Parkinson's but when you spoke to him he was as sharp as ever and just a really nice guy.

Latest Threads