Billion pound base - Closing down Bastion

Did anyone else catch this last night??? Interesting use of the interpreter from the Afghan Colonel!!! The sycophantic way they were shown around their 'gift' and their reaction really boiled my p1ss. What kind of idiots worry about murals causing offence but leave a bloody prayer mat down as doormat??? Muppets.

FEASG

LE
Did anyone else catch this last night???CInteresting use of the interpreter from the Afghan Colonel!!! The sycophantic way they were shown around their 'gift' and their reaction really boiled my p1ss. What kind of idiots worry about murals causing offence but leave a bloody prayer mat down as doormat??? Muppets.

Defiantly the most telling part of the program.

ANA Col (To Terp) – “They are taking everything of any use with them; they would take the concrete with them if they could”

Terp (To ANA Col) - “You want me to tell him that?”

ANA Col (To Terp) - “No tell him something else “

Brit Lt Col (To Terp) – “What did he say?”

Terp (to ANA Col) – “He wants to know what you said, what do I tell him?”

ANA Col (To Terp) - “Tell Him they have spent lots of money and thanks.”

Terp (To Brit Lt Col) - You have sent lots of money, it’s very nice.”

Brit Lt Col (To the Camera) - You see how pleased they are, and what a good job we have done.

For me that one exchange may as well sum up the conduct of the whole war.

Last edited:
Should have skipped off in the middle of the night, taking everything of value.Leaving a large turd on the prayer mat,and the key of the front, on a string in the letter box..;)

Very disappointed not to at least hear KBR mentioned by name (unless I missed it). KBR store this stuff in Bicester, deploy it, build it, man it, operate and maintain it, strip it down and will refurbish it and put it back on the shelf in Bicester ready for next time. Yet whilst contractors were mentioned generally, the single most important element for the running of Bastion was not. (I remember being in Kandahar in 2006 with KBR processing all the strores as they came through for the build, KBR managed and advised on the build).

I understand some elements of KBR and the deployable medical facilities may be in Ebolaland.

Last edited:
Defiantly the most telling part of the program.

ANA Col (To Terp) – “They are taking everything of any use with them; they would take the concrete with them if they could”

Terp (To ANA Col) - “You want me to tell him that?”

ANA Col (To Terp) - “No tell him something else “

Brit Lt Col (To Terp) – “What did he say?”

Terp (to ANA Col) – “He wants to know what you said, what do I tell him?”

ANA Col (To Terp) - “Tell Him they have spent lots of money and thanks.”

Terp (To Brit Lt Col) - You have sent lots of money, it’s very nice.”

Brit Lt Col (To the Camera) - You see how pleased they are, and what a good yob we have done.

For me that one exchange may as well sum up the conduct of the whole war.

Yes blew the last 8 years out of the water as far as I was concerned. The attitude of the ANA Colonel and the smugness of the British Colonel said it all.

ANA Col is probably wishing the Brits did take the concrete. Would of stopped the recent insurgents who got in hiding behind it days on end!

FEASG

LE
Yes blew the last 8 years out of the water as far as I was concerned. The attitude of the ANA Colonel and the smugness of the British Colonel said it all.

Hear Hear, no matter how hard the bloke worked during his army career, He will be remembered at worst as a Bill & Ben lookalike, and at best as very bad at playing the bagpipes, The Taliban could not have done a better job at editing that show.
VIP accommodation using prayer mats as door Mats!!!! But aren’t we experts at cultural awareness ?

Col. Quinn is a complete twit (I used the word twit in leu of the word cunt as this isn't the NAAFI).

He once conducted an OC's crews front on the blokes kit prior to us deploying during the marching season - he picked up someone's glove and tried it on and said "These are a bit tight ... you'll have to exchange these" to which the confused Spr replied "Er ... but they're my gloves Sir".

The man is a tit.

The lt colonel came across as bit of a ditsy pillock to me, not to mention a little bit odd as well.

The p*** taking from the Afghan colonel was the gen in it all and he absolutely mugged the lt colonel off with his own terps. I think they should have been grateful for anything that was given to them in the first place.

Next time maybe use a terp that is a british national to save the embaressment?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
But forbye the duo of Colonels it was a very interesting programme.

Next time maybe use a terp that is a british national to save the embaressment?

They would love to but as I understand it front the "worst career roddings" thread all of the best Pashto and Dari linguists have been posted to Germany.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Everyone was thinking the same 'This'll all be Terry's in 12 months time.'. Love the guard tower's comms procedures 'We'll wave at each other.'. Bless.

If that ANA Colonel really represents the attitude of their people, it truly was a waste of our blood, effort, good will and money.
To hell with them in the future.

Calling me a "****" falls well short of the professional standards shown by most of your comrades with whom I was proud to serve in NI. It brings shame to those colours you proudly display in your avatar. I don't recall the particular incident you mention. Even if you have recalled it exactly, I fail to see how that would justify your actions on this web site.

Calling me a "****" falls well short of the professional standards shown by most of your comrades with whom I was proud to serve in NI. It brings shame to those colours you proudly display in your avatar. I don't recall the particular incident you mention. Even if you have recalled it exactly, I fail to see how that would justify your actions on this web site.

Poor wind-up. Show wind-up correctly wound up.

Some facts about the Channel 4 programme:
1. It was an entertainment show not an accurate account of the facts. It is amazing what a bit of editing can do.
2. Assuming the Channel 4 translation is correct, it is a bit...disappointing that a Terp in the pay of the Brits chose not to alert us to what the Afghan was saying.

I thought it was an interesting programme. Camp Bastion was an awesome base that we built in the Desert of Death. I for one am proud of what we achieved.

I'm looking forward to Our War - Goodbye Afghanistan tonight at 9 on BBC 3. I enjoyed the previous series, so hope this is as good.

Do British soldiers need to be told to change their underwear in camp these days?

Poor show if correct, Royal will love hearing that.

Wets.

Latest Threads