Bill Callaghan Yeoman Warder

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by AlienFTM, May 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Zero Alpha just sent me a link to YouTube and a guided tour of The Tower by a Yeoman Warder identified as Bill Callaghan. He states that he was a Warrant Officer (in the Army: he tells us that there are some ex-RAF but nobody talks to them, and two ex_RM whom we can identify because they hold hands).

He is an absolute joy to watch ("History is usually written by the victors: that's why there are so many empty pages in French history") and I commend him to the forum. But I feel the need to ask the Old and Bold if anybody knows him. If he hadn't told us he was a former warrant officer, it wouldn't have been hard to guess, seeing him break off, turn to a bunch of children off-camera and bellow at them to keep the sound down, "It's a Royal Palace not a playground." I'd buy him a pint (and that would be worth bringing the camera for).
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ex RAMC I believe.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AlienFTM

Maybe explains why was so good at explaining about hanging, drawing and quartering and the rack.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. He got reprimanded for it too. We were at the tower last month for the ceremony of the keys and some drinks and dinner at the on site pub and our warden mentioned that someone much higher up thought some of it wasn't PC, come to think of it, our warden was an ex-crab...

Still one of London's best venues, the Yeoman do a fantastic job day-in and day-out.
  5. I'm not 100% certain, but if memory serves, you need to achieve the rank of WO2 (Regular) and hold the LS&GC as the bare minimum entry qualifications for appointment as a Yeoman Warder.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AlienFTM

Correct, he mentions this at the start of Part 2 of 4.

As to being reprimanded. He did at one point stop and ask if there was anybody he had not offended. He didn't want anyone to feel left out.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. or be the Holder of an MSM
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I think it's just SNCO (and 22 & LS&GC)
  9. AlienFTM

Apparently if you hold an MSM, they invite you. Otherwise you have to apply.
  10. AlienFTM

I am sure not so many years ago it was "hold an LSGC which by implication meant 16 years and probably be a SNCO". Now, according to the man, WO, 22 years and an LSGC.
  11. I read somewhere that there were no RN warders because the RN swear allegiance to the Board of the Admiralty, not to the Sovereign.
  12. They changed the rules - there's a couple of Matelots in now, either as Yeoman Warders or Yeoman of the Guard. I'm not sure which one
  13. First met Bill as a S/Sgt RAMC at MST A, Dahran, Saudi Arabia during First Gulf War. Absolute comedian, morale lifter and good bloke. Was the tonic we needed when I*n Cr*te took over and sent the signal "The surgeon has taken command".
  14. I've seen the You-Tube videos and have to say it's a masterclass in how to.....well take a class! Top job although I fear, as one poster has commented, that his PC antenae needs a wobble and it may well land him in a spot of poo, more the shame.