• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Bikers, farmers and mud on road

So im pretty new to the world of biking. Since being on 2 wheels i've really started to notice the amount of s*ite on the road and especially mud left by farmers :x

A few times to say the least i've been out in the country and come round a corner only to find a huge pile of muck trailing from a field on OUR tarmack, and had to swerve (did the old test, not the new one with the swerve part, so not very good at it!).

Is there not a law against this??

Get on to your local County or Metropolitan Borough Council with details. Farmer Palmer has a duty to take "reasonable care" and that does not just consist of a "mud on road" sign in felt tip on cardboard 2m before the shite. If you do bin and bend it your insurance company should be able to pursue a claim if the Gentleman Squire was negligent. Alternatively, get a KTM and enjoy the challenge.

franklin said:
So im pretty new to the world of biking. Since being on 2 wheels i've really started to notice the amount of s*ite on the road and especially mud left by farmers :x

A few times to say the least i've been out in the country and come round a corner only to find a huge pile of muck trailing from a field on OUR tarmack, and had to swerve (did the old test, not the new one with the swerve part, so not very good at it!).

Is there not a law against this??
Fckin townies- I sh1t 'em. How else are farmers going to get bikers to slide on to their bail forks?

Mud on road must be signed by the farmer.

I came off my SV after he had cut the grass verge / hedge thing. Denied it was him.

Guys I rode for many years and the first thing i would impart is :

"Expect the unexpected".

Round the next bend could be a broken down car, combine harvester, tractor, pedestrians, a group of cyclists, etc etc.

Don't moan about mud on the road you are in the countryside - expect it. Ride to the conditions and environment.

B

Biscuits_AB

Taita said:

I came off my SV after he had cut the grass verge / hedge thing. Denied it was him.

f*****.
He may very well have done, but he's responsible for the hedge/verge if it's part of his land and should accept that he has a duty of care to those for whose benefit he has cut it (i.e. the road user) Now either he cut it or one of his staff did, and you might have had a case of negligence (the land owner would be vicariously liability if it was one of his staff).

You should have nipped down to see a solicitor as soon as you could have done (dependant upon when it happened you might still have time).

In any event, for those of you who do fall foul of this sort of thing, if you aren't hurt that is, take a series of photographs leading up to the gate where the tractor has exited (do it with your mobile phone camera if that's all you have with you). Go back a couple of hundred metres and photograph at stages of 50 metres (make sure you capture all of the road signs if any). Photograph up to the gate and then beyond capturing all of the mud on the road up to the point where it runs out. Then from a couple of hundred metres out, take a series of photographs in reverse, back to the gate. If you can, measure the width of the width of the road and the length of the mud trail (with paces if that's all you can do). Knock up a sketch plan as well. What you are doing is proving who'd land the mud came from. It doesn't take as long as you might think. Give the lot to your insurance company. Seriously, that's the length that you have to go to nowadays, but if you are in the right you'll win, and you'll get your bike sorted. If you are injured, ask your insurance company to send a collision investigator to do it in your absence. Report the matter to the police as well. There may be a history there. Some of these clowns think that the law doesn't apply to them.

Simply telling you it wasn't him, isn't the end of the story. F*ck the carrot crunching tw*t and drag him into court. If necessary, take it to a legal firm as opposed to your insurance company. You might be injured and as such, you may be entitled to compensation and loss of earnings in addition to the repairs/replacement of your bike.

Don't accept any denials. Get them into court.

How, exactly, is a tractor supposed to transfer from muddy field to road without bringing some of that mud with it? Townies :roll:

Highway Code said:
Stopping Distances. Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.
Abide by that and you'll have no problem with mud on the road.

B

Biscuits_AB

ottar said:
How, exactly, is a tractor supposed to transfer from muddy field to road without bringing some of that mud with it? Townies :roll:

Highway Code said:
Stopping Distances. Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.
That's the Highway Code you nugget. It is an offence under the Highways Act to leave mud on the road. You're responsible for clearing it up. So, f*ck you Farmer Giles..

Biscuits_AB said:
ottar said:

Highway Code said:
That's the Highway Code you nugget. It is an offence under the Highways Act to leave mud on the road. You're responsible for clearing it up. So, f*ck you.
What you abide by this, keep to the speed an all?

Is this spot the townie thread? Go to the Forest of Dean where the sheep have the right of way!!

B

Biscuits_AB

leveller said:
Biscuits_AB said:
ottar said:

Highway Code said:
That's the Highway Code you nugget. It is an offence under the Highways Act to leave mud on the road. You're responsible for clearing it up. So, f*ck you.

Is this spot the townie thread? Go to the Forest of Dean where the sheep have the right of way!!
You reckon that bikers keeping to speed limits don't fall foul to mud left on roads by farmers? The question here isn't what speed he was doing, it is who's responsible for the mud on the road. To keep it simple for the carrot crunchers here...if you leave it...you're responsible for it.

If any vehicle spills fuel or oil that's an offence. If any vehicle has an insecure load that's an offence. So why should this perfectly reasonable rule not apply to farmers?

B

Biscuits_AB

hank said:
If any vehicle spills fuel or oil that's an offence. If any vehicle has an insecure load that's an offence. So why should this perfectly reasonable rule not apply to farmers?
It does.

I'm bored so here you are:

Highways Act 1980 Section 137 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence”.
Highways Act 1980 Section 148 “If without lawful authority or excuse a person deposits anything whatsoever on a highway to the interruption of any user of the highway he is guilty of an offence”.

Thank god Devon is free of mud.

IIRC this does not apply to Horse Shite but for the life of me I can not remember why... :?

Biscuits_AB said:
hank said:
It does.
So, to refer the Honourable Gentleman to my earlier answer, get your insurance company to bust the f*cker.

Biscuits_AB said:
leveller said:
Biscuits_AB said:
ottar said:

Highway Code said:

You reckon that bikers keeping to speed limits don't fall foul to mud left on roads by farmers? The question here isn't what speed he was doing, it is who's responsible for the mud on the road. To keep it simple for the carrot crunchers here...if you leave it...you're responsible for it.
To keep it simple for the townies here..... it's the fcukin countryside, its what happens here.
Now if you want to wizz around looking like a gay ninja, on the most dangerous parts of the queens highway, expect mud, horses, tractors, and fallen trees.

Personaly if you are a biker why ride on the worst repaired roads, with potholes that could swallow the average town in?

Biscuits_AB said:
ottar said:

Highway Code said:
That's the Highway Code you nugget.
I'm quite clearly aware that's the Highway Code, I even wrote up there that it's the Highway Code. What's your point? Is it not common sense to be able to stop within the distance you can see?

It is an offence under the Highways Act to leave mud on the road. You're responsible for clearing it up. So, f*ck you.
And you're responsible for paying for it with increased food prices.
The legal guidance is actually that the farmer should take all necessary precautions to avoid depositing mud on the road, but the law recognises that it is inevitable that some mud will end up on the road. The law also recognises that a tractor is unlikely to be equipped for road cleaning so it is perfectly reasonable for some time to elapse between deposition and cleaning. The law isn't as black and white as you're presenting it.

If you want a road free from obstructions, use a test track, not a public highway.

I went into town today, it was full of cars and pedestrians impeding my progress. Who do I complain to?

I think if we all read Biscuits post farther up the page with an objective mind

Biscuits_AB said:
Taita said:

f*****.
He may very well have done, but he's responsible for the hedge/verge if it's part of his land and should accept that he has a duty of care to those for whose benefit he has cut it (i.e. the road user) Now either he cut it or one of his staff did, and you might have had a case of negligence (the land owner would be vicariously liability if it was one of his staff).

You should have nipped down to see a solicitor as soon as you could have done (dependant upon when it happened you might still have time).

In any event, for those of you who do fall foul of this sort of thing, if you aren't hurt that is, take a series of photographs leading up to the gate where the tractor has exited (do it with your mobile phone camera if that's all you have with you). Go back a couple of hundred metres and photograph at stages of 50 metres (make sure you capture all of the road signs if any). Photograph up to the gate and then beyond capturing all of the mud on the road up to the point where it runs out. Then from a couple of hundred metres out, take a series of photographs in reverse, back to the gate. If you can, measure the width of the width of the road and the length of the mud trail (with paces if that's all you can do). Knock up a sketch plan as well. What you are doing is proving who'd land the mud came from. It doesn't take as long as you might think. Give the lot to your insurance company. Seriously, that's the length that you have to go to nowadays, but if you are in the right you'll win, and you'll get your bike sorted. If you are injured, ask your insurance company to send a collision investigator to do it in your absence. Report the matter to the police as well. There may be a history there. Some of these clowns think that the law doesn't apply to them.

Simply telling you it wasn't him, isn't the end of the story. F*ck the carrot crunching tw*t and drag him into court. If necessary, take it to a legal firm as opposed to your insurance company. You might be injured and as such, you may be entitled to compensation and loss of earnings in addition to the repairs/replacement of your bike.

Don't accept any denials. Get them into court.
Missing out the us and them part then the answers for both sides are in there.

If once the evidence is gathered the legal profession can argue the toss as to who was being negligent.

Anyhow, if you country types try to stop being messy sods then us townies will try to stop crashing and then having to sue you for it. ;)

I'm going now so incoming will be off by a couple of klicks :)

I live in the countryside , I work in the countryside and because of that I ride my motorcycle in the countryside and have never fallen off due to mud or horse sh*t on the road .
I have developed a simple plan-
Ride within my comfort zone , i.e. at 7/10 ths .
Asume that round every corner the WILL be a slow moving , mud throwing John Deere.
Expect the unexpected - round my way we have more deer than people , and hitting a deer is never a good thing.
I have fallen off loads of times cause I rode like a twat , with reference to previous posts, the first 3 ft of any verge is owned and maintained by the local council.
Yes, some farmers do take the piss ,but most do clean up the mud as soon as practical .
The harvest season is approaching and its worth the thought as you corner with your knee slider gently kissing the tarmac , that just round the next corner is the rear of 12 tons of combine takeing up both sides of the road.
Its all common sense but often as the helmet go's on , the brains come out .

Ride safe and have fun.

Latest Threads