Bikers, farmers and mud on road

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by franklin, Jul 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So im pretty new to the world of biking. Since being on 2 wheels i've really started to notice the amount of s*ite on the road and especially mud left by farmers :x

A few times to say the least i've been out in the country and come round a corner only to find a huge pile of muck trailing from a field on OUR tarmack, and had to swerve (did the old test, not the new one with the swerve part, so not very good at it!).

Is there not a law against this??
  2. Get on to your local County or Metropolitan Borough Council with details. Farmer Palmer has a duty to take "reasonable care" and that does not just consist of a "mud on road" sign in felt tip on cardboard 2m before the shite. If you do bin and bend it your insurance company should be able to pursue a claim if the Gentleman Squire was negligent. Alternatively, get a KTM and enjoy the challenge.
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Or alternatively, how about riding within your capabilities and therefore safely?

It's the countryside; if you don't like it, don't go there.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fckin townies- I sh1t 'em. How else are farmers going to get bikers to slide on to their bail forks?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mud on road must be signed by the farmer.

I came off my SV after he had cut the grass verge / hedge thing. Denied it was him.

6. They can write?
  7. Guys I rode for many years and the first thing i would impart is :

"Expect the unexpected".

Round the next bend could be a broken down car, combine harvester, tractor, pedestrians, a group of cyclists, etc etc.

Don't moan about mud on the road you are in the countryside - expect it. Ride to the conditions and environment.
  8. He may very well have done, but he's responsible for the hedge/verge if it's part of his land and should accept that he has a duty of care to those for whose benefit he has cut it (i.e. the road user) Now either he cut it or one of his staff did, and you might have had a case of negligence (the land owner would be vicariously liability if it was one of his staff).

You should have nipped down to see a solicitor as soon as you could have done (dependant upon when it happened you might still have time).

In any event, for those of you who do fall foul of this sort of thing, if you aren't hurt that is, take a series of photographs leading up to the gate where the tractor has exited (do it with your mobile phone camera if that's all you have with you). Go back a couple of hundred metres and photograph at stages of 50 metres (make sure you capture all of the road signs if any). Photograph up to the gate and then beyond capturing all of the mud on the road up to the point where it runs out. Then from a couple of hundred metres out, take a series of photographs in reverse, back to the gate. If you can, measure the width of the width of the road and the length of the mud trail (with paces if that's all you can do). Knock up a sketch plan as well. What you are doing is proving who'd land the mud came from. It doesn't take as long as you might think. Give the lot to your insurance company. Seriously, that's the length that you have to go to nowadays, but if you are in the right you'll win, and you'll get your bike sorted. If you are injured, ask your insurance company to send a collision investigator to do it in your absence. Report the matter to the police as well. There may be a history there. Some of these clowns think that the law doesn't apply to them.

Simply telling you it wasn't him, isn't the end of the story. F*ck the carrot crunching tw*t and drag him into court. If necessary, take it to a legal firm as opposed to your insurance company. You might be injured and as such, you may be entitled to compensation and loss of earnings in addition to the repairs/replacement of your bike.

Don't accept any denials. Get them into court.
  9. How, exactly, is a tractor supposed to transfer from muddy field to road without bringing some of that mud with it? Townies :roll:

Abide by that and you'll have no problem with mud on the road.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. That's the Highway Code you nugget. It is an offence under the Highways Act to leave mud on the road. You're responsible for clearing it up. So, f*ck you Farmer Giles..
  11. What you abide by this, keep to the speed an all?

Is this spot the townie thread? Go to the Forest of Dean where the sheep have the right of way!!
  12. You reckon that bikers keeping to speed limits don't fall foul to mud left on roads by farmers? The question here isn't what speed he was doing, it is who's responsible for the mud on the road. To keep it simple for the carrot crunchers here...if you leave're responsible for it.
  13. If any vehicle spills fuel or oil that's an offence. If any vehicle has an insecure load that's an offence. So why should this perfectly reasonable rule not apply to farmers?
  14. It does.
  15. I'm bored so here you are:

Highways Act 1980 Section 137 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence”.
    Highways Act 1980 Section 148 “If without lawful authority or excuse a person deposits anything whatsoever on a highway to the interruption of any user of the highway he is guilty of an offence”.

Thank god Devon is free of mud.

IIRC this does not apply to Horse Shite but for the life of me I can not remember why... :?