Bikers - 25 sep demo - important - stand up for your rights

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Blokeonabike, Aug 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Those twats at the EU are about to make a lot of new laws that will completely screw with our ability to wear what we want and fix/modify/adapt our bikes to our real world needs.
    Think compulsory day-glow and German style TUV laws.
    Other proposals on the table include things like compulsory ABS on all new bikes that will price smaller bikes out of the reach of those who usually buy such machines.

Sep 25th is going to be a huge day of bike demos across the UK. If you ride a bike, get involved.

Info at MAG - Homepage or in MCN.

Basically, kick off will be 1pm (Thats 1300 to you lot) on 25 Sep (a Sunday) from a variety of locations around the UK.

While you are looking at the MAG website, why not join? They fight for your rights and its not just about helmet laws any more!

2. Isn't ABS a good thing?

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Not heard about anything like that happening in DE or FR, both of whom have powerful motorcycling lobbies - got a link to any factual reference?

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Not on a sports bike...

5. It is good, but (contrary to the prevailing notion) is no substitute for skilful driving/riding.

Question for BlokeonaBike: is it switchable? A mate's GS1200 has ABS that can be switched on or off (I might be mistaken tho').

6. No. On a bike it isn't a good thing at all.
    A computer deciding when to on and off the brakes can dramatically affect your stability.

7. Ok I don't know enough about bikes but one of my brothers was killed when he'd to avoid a pissed up twat wondering into the road.
    I am very concerned about kids behaviour on mopeds and what makes someone experienced/skilled?
    I can't recall if similar arguments were made about ABS in cars but they seem very successful. I'd be interested to hear people's views.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

That is about a French government proposal (that will not happen now because the guy is a known twat) to wear hi-viz armbands - nothing to do with any potential EU regulation(s).

9. Jarrod, the big difference between a bike and a car is that a bike rider depends on speed/power to control stability, particularly in a cornering situation. A car is inherently stable. A bike is not! ABS is also expensive to fit to a bike (around £500 depending on brand) and, while this may not be a noticeable expense on a 10 grand bike, it would be on a 125! On off-road bikes ABS would be catestrophic (and the proposals include off-roaders).

I am not sure about switchable. I think not but that would require a fine print read. But if it was, watch for insurers claiming an accident was your fault because you had chosen to switch it off!

10. The bikers would be better off lobbying BMW to build a 125cc commuter, as EU laws relating to motorcycling have always neatly fitted around BMW's business plans. Remember the proposed power limits that were about to be introduced, and suddenly got dropped just as BMW realised it could sell bikes with over 100ps......?

11. The price isn't a concern as much as manufacturers will always squirm and cry poverty then make a new brochure saying how safe their product is.
    The stability is of course a problem but surely such a thing would be tested and prevent brakes from locking and increase stability or am I talking shite?

12. Will there be a contra rally?

One that demands that bikers wear full dayglo, that their bikes are painted in dayglo and have side running lights. That bikers have to wear leathers of an adequate standard in all weathers. That visors have a clear view facility that works at speeds below the speed limit. That rear number plates are the same size as on cars. That the registration is displayed on the front of a bike where it can be seen by speed cameras. That gives the Police the authority to perform PIT manoeuvres and deploy Stingers on fail-to-stop bikers. That requires silencers to meet the same noise limits as those fitted to cars. That the "Think. Bike." adverts are replaced with "You'll come off worst, act accordingly" adverts.

No? Shame...

• Like Like x 5
  13. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's only a public consultation at the moment Als. The Consultation document is under the link.

Looks like scaremongering as it stands now.

14. Putties

I believe that is what the ride is actually trying to stop.

If i recall the EU want us to wear dayglo, no mods to your bike that affect its performance, including exhausts, restricter kits to ensure you can't go over the speed limit, ABS etc however car owners can continue to mod their cars to their hearts content,drive as fast as they want etc at the age of 18 go out and buy a 180mph sports car straight after passing your test, i appreciate that a fair few bikers are throbbers who are just as, if not more inconsiderate than car owners but i still think we should have a choice in what we wear, and as long as mods are safe then we should be allowed to do them.

Simple solution for bikers if it comes in, all wear white helmets, full dayglo jackets and ride white bikes with fluro tape, foe visibility reasons, everyone will move out the way as they will think we are plod.

But each to their own.

As for ABS, my mate who has ridden bikes for 20 odd years recently hit another mate, who slammed on when a car turned across in front of him, because in his opinion ABS prevented him from stopping as quick as he could have done without it..................although he says its better in the wet.