Bike Upgrade

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Forastero, Aug 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

General natter more than anything.

Had my 12 yr old Hornet 600 for a few months now and quite enjoying the old return to biking lark after quite a few years. I use it mainly to get in and out of London with the odd hack at weekends. Only dropped it once because twat features wasn't watching what he was doing and I generally behave myself on it because I really, really don't want to bend myself. Thing is, I'll be posted in about a years time and doubt that I'll be using it for a daily commute again (I hope) but don't want to stop biking altogether. Whilst the Hornet is good fun, the handlings twitchy and it dives like a git under heavy braking which I really don't like very much. I'm also not a massive fan of the unfaired business as well.

So, in twelve months time I'm looking to change. I'd like something bigger - 750 upwards, not a sports bike but not something that is pipe and slippers as a quick hoon around the country lanes is huge fun. Budget about 4k or less. What do you esteemed ARRSE bikers reckon?

2. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Why the **** has it hyperlinked the word hoon?!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Triumph Sprint ST, should get a half-decent one privately for £4k, and get the rosy glow of having bought British.

4. Loads to choose, look in the MCN every week. Go for another Honda. Never had any dramas with all the Honda bikes I've owned over the years. Apart from the RRY Blade which had an argument with a HGV . I ended up worst off.

5. Get an earlier Bandit 600. Replace the engine with a GSXR750 oil cooled lump. Have it bored to 883. Change the ratio of the cogs or fit wheelie bars. Should be doable on 4k, plus, you'll make blade riders look like tits.

6. Triumph Street Triple. Plenty of 07/08 models to be had for under 4K.

7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Liking the Triumphs a lot. I see quite a few on the streets of Londinium and they do look and sound nice. There's a Triumph dealership a couple of miles away so I might go and stick my snout in there over the weekend. Leaning towards the ST as it looks slightly more comfortable for a longish run.

8. Have a look at a VFR800

9. Triumph IS the way to go.
    The Speed Triple is a hoot and works well as a commuter. I currently have the Sprint ST and it is more comfortable than my previous Sprint RS, though the underseat exhaust (not an issue on earlier ST's) does toast the crown jewels some what. Nice in winter, less so in summer. The RS is more sporty.

10. £4000 for a used bike and you have a very wide choice indeed. There is no substitute for visiting every local dealer and kicking a few tyres. Once you have your short-list of bikes you like the look of, go home and do some internetting to look up problems etc in forums and user groups.

As an aside:

I agree triumph triples are always a good choice. Not everyone's cup of tea but I have never heard any owner with a bad thing to say about them.
    Anything from Honda is likely to be a great bike. In almost every class of bike, Honda sacrifice a small amount of performance and/or sharp handling in favour of making a solid, reliable and rider friendly choice.
    If someone tries to sell you a Buell - RUN AWAY!!!!!!! Same goes for Italian bikes of almost any description.

I quite like the SV1000 for what you plan to do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. samm1551

samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Totally agree with everything here. The triple is a lovely bike, and I know people who used a Buell to travel across Europe and they said it was a BIG mistake.

12. Having done a stint as a Triumph test/development rider t'uther year I'd go for a street or speed triple ( really depends if you want the cubes or not)
    You can ride a triple all day and the fly screen works quite well, keeping the worst of the wind blast off you. They can feel a little tip toed and flighty at first but that sort of adds to the charm. On emissions testing we were typically riding for 7hrs out of an 8 hour shift and didn't walk like a gunslinger afterwards. You also look at a tiger 800 next year, they may be creeping in at around £4000 for a used by then, great bike, very chuckable and very comfortable. Nice commanding riding position too.

Hope that helps.

13. Did you get the chance to test the America/Speedmaster/Thunderbird? If so, what are your thoughts on them?

14. I'm in the US but ride a Triumph Daytona 600 (2004) it's a little tame but I am in my 50's now. It's good to fly the flag!

15. I disagree with the comment about Italian bikes by a previous poster. I had a Motto Guzi Le Mans Tenni as my last bike in the UK and had no problems with it. If I wasn't so keen to ride British in the US I woulld certainly have a Ducati- if I could afford one, they're expensive over here.

• Like Like x 1