Bike tour Black Forest

I'm thinking of heading up to the Black Forest this summer on the GS with Mrs Jorrocks on the back. Any ideas about good places to stay/visit, preferably from your own experience rather than just sending me to Trip Advisor?

"Up to the black forest" wwhere are you starting from?

Henry Cole on "The Worlds Greatest Motorcycle Rides" did part of the Castle route and the Romantic route travelling from Frankfurt am Main to Munchen, he took about five days but can be done, without stopping for coffee every ten klicks, in a couple of days. Try to see if the program is on demand tv somewhere, he really did a good trip with loads of classic German towns and villages to visit. He was riding a KTM R8 sportsbike FYI.

slick

LE
Henry Cole on "The Worlds Greatest Motorcycle Rides" did part of the Castle route and the Romantic route travelling from Frankfurt am Main to Munchen, he took about five days but can be done, without stopping for coffee every ten klicks, in a couple of days. Try to see if the program is on demand tv somewhere, he really did a good trip with loads of classic German towns and villages to visit. He was riding a KTM R8 sportsbike FYI.
Another short vid with some good footage....

Baden Baden is a great stop. The public pool there has all the spa facilities you'd find in a top hotel. Top deck if you fancy some tackle oot sunbathing. Bike wise from BB to freudenstat is a cracking road.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
You might also want to take a short detour to Freiburg i. Br. from Titisee-Neustadt. There's some marvellous scenery on the way and (just before Freiburg) there's also the "Teufelsschlucht", with a big bronze statue of a stag up on the top of the left-hand cliff. Apparently it commemorates the epic escape of a hunted stag in the 18th Century.

Freiburg itself has many wonderful sights. Among them the magnificence cathedral with its pierced tower and the town hall - which are practically opposite each other on the same big square. You'll also find the open drainage along the streets very agreeable, because they tend to keep the temperature down in the summer.

MsG

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I recommend a bit further North, as well - between the Ring and Monschau, there are some excellent roads - in the UK, if the authorities had noticed people going fast through the forests on twisty roads, they'd have deployed helicopters, speed cameras and 40mph restrictions. The Boche Shellgripped the good corners.

Just over the border in Belgium there are some awesome roads, particularly in the 6th SS Panzer Army area - Eupen, Malmedy, Spa, around that neck of the woods. Spa is a great place to stop and Monschau has some of the best bars - and cheap hotels - in the region.

I'm thinking of heading up to the Black Forest this summer on the GS with Mrs Jorrocks on the back. Any ideas about good places to stay/visit, preferably from your own experience rather than just sending me to Trip Advisor?
Places to stay/visit rather depends on your personal interests and tastes.
As far as a general route is concerned and good biking roads, you could do worse than to start at the bottom of the Vosges (eg Belfort), head North all the way to Pfalzerwald direction Kaiserslauten, then SW direction Pforzheim, then South through the Black Forest toward lake Constance/Bodensee, then West to return to start point.
Friends from Austria did that over a week last year on their BMW tourer and had a good time.

If I were coming from Madrid, I'd head for Besancon - Vesoul - Lure and take the D486 through the Vosges National Park, then the D417 down through Stosswihr towards Colmar. Feel free to bypass Colmar, but take the D18 North through the various 'wihrs to Selestat. Turn right there and head for Freiburg im Bresgau, which is worth a stop.

The L124 from Freiburg to Schauinsland is a classic route, but closed to Motorcycles on holidays and Sundays from April to November.

From Freiburg take the 31 towards Titisee-Neustadt, feel free to visit, but in my opinion it is Disney Schwarzwald and full of cuckoo clocks and gateaux kitsch.

The Schwarzwaldhochstrasse - the 500 - is the classic route North from here, through Furtwangen - Wolfach - Alpirsbach - Freudenstadt - Baden Baden.

From there, I personally would head back South by travelling through Gernsbach - Bad Herrenalb - Calw - Nagold - Horb am Neckar - and on to Rottweil. Then Donaueschingen down to the 314 and on to Waldshut and then follow the Rhein to Rheinfelden. From there find the Autobahn to take you to the A5.

Enjoy.

Places to stay/visit rather depends on your personal interests and tastes.
As far as a general route is concerned and good biking roads, you could do worse than to start at the bottom of the Vosges (eg Belfort), head North all the way to Pfalzerwald direction Kaiserslauten, then SW direction Pforzheim, then South through the Black Forest toward lake Constance/Bodensee, then West to return to start point.
Friends from Austria did that over a week last year on their BMW tourer and had a good time.
The Vosges is a much underappreciated pleasure.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sadly, France is no fun any more. The cops have had a terminal sense of humour removal and the speed laws are draconian and very punchily enforced. Belgium, on the other hand, is close to anarchy and the Boche completely understand the need to ride like a **** on twisty roads.

Only by Brits.
Unfortunately every Benelux camper/caravanner knows about it, but not quite as bad as the Black Forest.
I have no problem avoiding the crowds knowing the area well. No problem with plod or speeding if you do it in the right place (just like anywhere else) eg remote twisty roads, not in villages.
There is still grit from winter on some quiet bits, but that is usually gone by May.
Lots of the best biking roads in Germany are now closed to bikers on weekends/holidays which sucks if you are not expecting it.

Only by Brits.
Unfortunately every Benelux camper/caravanner knows about it, but not quite as bad as the Black Forest.
I have no problem avoiding the crowds knowing the area well. No problem with plod or speeding if you do it in the right place (just like anywhere else) eg remote twisty roads, not in villages.
There is still grit from winter on some quiet bits, but that is usually gone by May.
Lots of the best biking roads in Germany are now closed to bikers on weekends/holidays which sucks if you are not expecting it.
Yes, I believe you are right. We stayed on a campsite in the Vosges a few years ago, and I think we were the only ones there, including staff, who couldn't speak Dutch/Vlaams. The staff also spoke good Hochdeutsch.

Many years ago I lived near Bad Herrenalb and it was always a pleasure to head over the border for a weekend or even just an evening.

Latest Threads