Bike Sharing Schemes - Another one bites the dust

Another bike sharing scheme has bitten the dust.
Killed off by poor maintenance of the bikes, theft and vandalism.

Ofo pulls out

Ofo is a Chinese start-up. It previously pulled out of other cities and is currently on the point of financial collapse. Staff have been made redundant.

This is one of a number of dock-less bike sharing schemes that have gone under recently.

Questions:
  • Has anyone used one of these schemes (including Boris Bike etc)
  • Are these schemes worth it?
  • Can a "dockless" scheme work?
  • Are these schemes doomed to fail by the apathy and mindless vandalism endemic in the UK?

Failure to support socially-aware community bike schemes means that polar bears die choking on plastic and little Precious M'zumba will still have to walk 300 miles a day so as to collect a cup of mud.

I deplore your cynicism.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
  • Are these schemes doomed to fail by the apathy and mindless vandalism endemic in the UK?
  • Yes. OV-fiets in the Netherlands and Edinburgh Cycle Hire in Scotland.
  • Boring answer: it depends on usage and location really.
  • Yes.
  • All of the schemes that have pulled out are in England rather than the wider UK. Go figure.*
*Edit: largely because they're likely to be larger schemes proportionately so vandalism will be magnified.

Last edited:
I saw the new Ofo bikes in a London suburb some months ago. I thought they might be useful and intended to look into it. Before I could do that, all the bikes had vanished from the parking place and they could only be seen vandalised and abandoned or being ridden by scowling ethnic youths in the vicinity of the near-by council flats. I haven't seen any of them in months. The scheme was abandoned in October.

It's just one more useful public amenity that has been destroyed by gopping shitpigs. I must move away from the ghettofication that has ruined this formerly decent suburb.

The Pikey kids in Cambridge took great delight to the source of free yellow bikes to be found on the city's streets, it didn't take them long to remove the lock and the GPS gubbins, and for about 3 months the remains of the yellow bikes were to be found dumped all over the city, hence OFO restricting its operations away from certain areas of the city. They must have lost hundreds of these bikes, component parts of which are now to be found in rural illegal rubbish dumps throughout East Anglia.

I can't imagine why the free bike scheme hasn't worked in London, it's been working well in Liverpool for decades - along with the free car scheme, the free TV scheme, and the free house scheme....

We had a couple of company's in Dallas that seem to have vanished more recently. Last time I saw any they were being ridden by hordes of yoof's in the inner city........I doubt if they paid for the opportunity, know what I mean? At the moment it seem's to be electric scooters for hire - I saw loads just abandoned outside the expo centre on saturday - my thinking is that they are not long for this world.

On a positive note: When I was in Cologne for my spine op I saw loads there, all being well used by people, tourists probably. Some seemed to be take and return to base, others were free range - pick up and drop off wherever. Unlike the the misuse, abuse, and theft of the things I observed in Dallas they seemed to be respectably treated and used.

Around 11.7 million customers of cash-stretched Ofo are currently waiting for deposit refunds according to information on its app as of Thursday morning, which means the Beijing-based bike sharing start-up needs to return at least 1.16 billion yuan (US$168 million) back to users.

Nearly 12 million Ofo users are waiting for deposit refunds

Years ago, when I lived in Copenhagen, there were public bike racks all over the city where you could take a bike for a 10 Kroner deposit and return it to any other rack and get the money back (rather like a supermarket trolley). All of these new bike schemes seem to have taken to using technology, where none was required, to do the same job. As you will seem from the video link in the above article there are now millions of bikes in China that have been abandoned.

As an aside, I live in area of HK that is hard to get to except by road (for which you need a residents' permit) or ferry. Only the most dedicated of mountain bikers or tour de France wannabees would cycle over and we still have those bloody yellow bikes littering the place.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Glasgow one works well, Next bike or something. I had a chat with the director as I dealt with the first stolen and recovered bike during the Commonwealth Games. He said it the money made on the fleet could easily cover the cost of lost and stolen bikes.

Because the fleet is aimed around the city centre and periphery, there's not much scope for nicking it and there's no value in the bikes.

Besides, Glasgow scum are busy stealing around 300 bikes a year from the city centre so they don't need these ones!

Another bike sharing scheme has bitten the dust.
Killed off by poor maintenance of the bikes, theft and vandalism.

Ofo pulls out

Ofo is a Chinese start-up. It previously pulled out of other cities and is currently on the point of financial collapse. Staff have been made redundant.

This is one of a number of dock-less bike sharing schemes that have gone under recently.

Questions:
I did a Boris Bike pub crawl round London once. The first 30 mins of bike use were free, so we aimed to make sure that all pubs were just about within 30 mins of normal cycling (pubs chosen on the map before). As the evening went on this caused much fun, bursting a lung to get there in time.

The Glasgow one works well, Next bike or something. I had a chat with the director as I dealt with the first stolen and recovered bike during the Commonwealth Games. He said it the money made on the fleet could easily cover the cost of lost and stolen bikes.

Because the fleet is aimed around the city centre and periphery, there's not much scope for nicking it and there's no value in the bikes.

Besides, Glasgow scum are busy stealing around 300 bikes a year from the city centre so they don't need these ones!
NextBike do the Belfast scheme. A few of their bikes can be seen in the shalllower parts of the Lagan along the towpath. I imagine there might be one or two in the deeper parts also.