Bigamist Ex-Soldier Gets Suspended Jail Sentence

I read in my local news that an ex-member of our glorious corps has been done for bigamy. Anyone know him?

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/d...Node=161366&contentPK=19500925&folderPk=88499

A Former soldier who failed to divorce his first wife before marrying a fellow soldier was given a nine-month suspended jail sentence for bigamy today.Matthew Spencer, aged 29, met his first wife, Cheryl Rideout, in 1998 and the couple married in December of that year at Swansea Register Office.

At the time the 18-year-old bride was five months pregnant, and Spencer was serving as a signaller in Blandford Camp, Dorset.

They separated in August, 2001, after Spencer was posted to Lisbon, Portugal.

Keiran Rainey, for the prosecution, told the court that Mrs Spencer began divorce proceedings in 2003, but found it difficult to keep track of her husband's movements.

"She tried repeatedly to get him to sign the divorce papers, but after three or four years she gave up," he said.

Spencer, of Richmond, North Yorkshire, later met Lance Corporal Rachel Scott when he was stationed in Germany and proposed to her in August, 2006.

The couple were married by the padre at Wentworth Barracks, in Herford, Germany, on October 14, 2006.

Mr Rainey said that in order to marry Ms Scott, Spencer was required to fill in several forms and declare himself a bachelor.

The couple separated in December, 2006, and Spencer admitted a charge of bigamy in August last year.

James Fenney, for the defence, told the court that Spencer had believed himself to be divorced and had admitted the bigamy as soon as he knew of it.

"There appears to be no potential benefit for him and it is also clear that there is a low risk of reoffending," he said.

"He assures the court he is extremely sorry for what has occurred."

Judge Guy Whitburn QC accepted that Spencer, who is no longer a soldier, moved so often during his army career that his wife and her solicitors were unable to contact him.

"This was not for gain, nor for fraudulent intent, nor was it for reward," he said.

"It seems that you were really inadvertent, you completely failed to grapple with that that you should have grappled with before you proposed to Rachel Scott."

He sentenced Spencer to nine months in prison suspended for a year and gave him a three-month curfew with an electronic tag.

PoisonDwarf said:
I read in my local news that an ex-member of our glorious corps has been done for bigamy. Anyone know him?

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/d...Node=161366&contentPK=19500925&folderPk=88499

A Former soldier who failed to divorce his first wife before marrying a fellow soldier was given a nine-month suspended jail sentence for bigamy today.Matthew Spencer, aged 29, met his first wife, Cheryl Rideout, in 1998 and the couple married in December of that year at Swansea Register Office.

At the time the 18-year-old bride was five months pregnant, and Spencer was serving as a signaller in Blandford Camp, Dorset.

Keiran Rainey, for the prosecution, told the court that Mrs Spencer began divorce proceedings in 2003, but found it difficult to keep track of her husband's movements.

"She tried repeatedly to get him to sign the divorce papers, but after three or four years she gave up," he said.

Spencer, of Richmond, North Yorkshire, later met Lance Corporal Rachel Scott when he was stationed in Germany and proposed to her in August, 2006.

The couple were married by the padre at Wentworth Barracks, in Herford, Germany, on October 14, 2006.

Mr Rainey said that in order to marry Ms Scott, Spencer was required to fill in several forms and declare himself a bachelor.

The couple separated in December, 2006, and Spencer admitted a charge of bigamy in August last year.

James Fenney, for the defence, told the court that Spencer had believed himself to be divorced and had admitted the bigamy as soon as he knew of it.

"There appears to be no potential benefit for him and it is also clear that there is a low risk of reoffending," he said.

Judge Guy Whitburn QC accepted that Spencer, who is no longer a soldier, moved so often during his army career that his wife and her solicitors were unable to contact him.

"This was not for gain, nor for fraudulent intent, nor was it for reward," he said.

"It seems that you were really inadvertent, you completely failed to grapple with that that you should have grappled with before you proposed to Rachel Scott."

He sentenced Spencer to nine months in prison suspended for a year and gave him a three-month curfew with an electronic tag.
nearly as much as that Taliban dentist guy who's serving 12 months for attempted terrorism :)

Alsacien

LE
PoisonDwarf said:

Bet it was NI not Portugal too.... :wink:

How the fock can you not find someone in the army, just send mail through the MCM Div! Sounds like some bulox there.

Alsacien said:
PoisonDwarf said:

Sounds feasible. There is a NATO HQ there Clicky some of my illustrious Corps get posted there. Nearest I got was Lisburn!

Berlin

Alsacien said:
PoisonDwarf said:

I think you might be right, if its the bloke im thinking about, he went to the MT, 2 Sigs after a tour in the NI. And i just spoke to him the other day, funnily enough, he never mentioned this. But he did move to richmond after leaving. Interesting. Maybe someone who knows me might be able to confirm. :?:

Billwhyman said:
Alsacien said:
PoisonDwarf said:

I think you might be right, if its the bloke im thinking about, he went to the MT, 2 Sigs after a tour in the NI. And i just spoke to him the other day, funnily enough, he never mentioned this. But he did move to richmond after leaving. Interesting. Maybe someone who knows me might be able to confirm. :?:
Billy!! It is the same man!! Admin nightmare, he was the one he shot at cars with an air rifle from the block window!

Two interesting notes on this:

1. If he married in Wentworth Bks, Herford, that means he or she is Catholic, as that is where the Catholic Church is. The CofE one is in Hammersmith Bks. So I should imagine he did have to fill in a lot of forms being 'supposedly' divorced.

2. He married his second wife in the middle of Oct 06 and they separated in Dec 06. What!

Doesn't sound right to me.

Wishful_Thinking said:

1. If he married in Wentworth Bks, Herford, that means he or she is Catholic, as that is where the Catholic Church is. The CofE one is in Hammersmith Bks. So I should imagine he did have to fill in a lot of forms being 'supposedly' divorced.

2. He married his second wife in the middle of Oct 06 and they separated in Dec 06. What!

Believe me nothing much sounds right in relation to this bloke. 8O

timebandit said:
Wishful_Thinking said:

Believe me nothing much sounds right in relation to this bloke. 8O
Fair one. I thought it was him!! Little fatherless, never mentioned a thing about it the other day on the phone. He is living with another lad from the MT now, in Richmond. Little Scottish liney by the name of 'Jono'.

Might have to give old spence a quick call later, tell him hes famous!!! And mention that i didnt realise he went to portugal!! Jonny-two-poos!!

:D

Does anyone think that getting tagged for bigamy is a bit harsh ? The judge pretty much admitted that he did not do it for any gain etc.

sc_obvious said:
Does anyone think that getting tagged for bigamy is a bit harsh ? The judge pretty much admitted that he did not do it for any gain etc.
Well bigamy is bigamy and if you are already married then you can't marry again until divorced from the old wife. He may not have done it for any gain, and knowing the bloke in person he will not have even known what day it was, never mind if he was still married.

Just clicked who it is. Nice lad - bit dim. Quality story though! No wonder she couldn't find him in 2003, I seem to remember he was in the sandy place?

Why men marry once is a mystery. Why they marry twice is a bigger-mystery!

cabbage_head said:
Just clicked who it is. Nice lad - bit dim. Quality story though! No wonder she couldn't find him in 2003, I seem to remember he was in the sandy place?

Because they are stupid? :D

cabbage_head said:

Thats the one!!! :D