Big White Wall PTSD

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by woolyback_bastard, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has already been done but BFBS have done a video recommending Big White Wall as a place serving and ex serving community may want to visit if suffering from PTSD.

The link is here The Big White Wall: online support for the armed forces | British Forces News

I was quite shocked and little upset tonight when I first saw the video as I served with Johno in the 80's. Great to see he is getting all the help he needs and is now getting his life back in order and trying to help others.

Proud of you Johno, and hopefully this video will also help others too.
  2. If the dreaded PTSD is found manifesting in people from civilian jobs, compassion and huge amounts of compensation are paid out.

However, Get this condition from serving in H.M Forces and you are swept under the carpet by the powers that be.
  3. Really? Can you give examples?
  4. It refers to PAX, which is independent of the MoD. It's personal so you can pick and choose if you want the cover, you are also well aware of what the policy covers before you pay anything.

No one was denied any payout. They simply were not covered in the first instance.

Find me an example of an insurer covering mental illness.
  5. Are you suggesting that someone suffering PTSD should be awarded the same as someone with traumatic amputation? They hardly equate. PTSD can be effectively treated, limbs don't grow back.

I get the picture you're trying to paint and it's tainted you patronising I'll informed prick.
  6. Local health authority has had bed spaces in mental health hospital purchased by MOD since 2008 at least.made life a bit easier for some people not having to go to the priory and be closer to home
    [ARCHIVED CONTENT] Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Defence Policy and Business | Inpatient mental healthcare contract announced
  7. as much as i wouldn't wish anyone the injuries you have suffered, I also find you can be a a patronising person sometimes.
    PTSD can be controlled,but 1st you need to get it identified and then the treatment. allegedly more people committed suicide than were injured from Op Corporate.

from Mentally Ill Troops Denied Pay-out by the Army's Approved Insurers | PTSD Forum
    I am sure there will be higher figures from Afghan as well.
  8. Justify this then ........ Compensation for Hillsborough officers | UK news | The Guardian

I have heard blokes stating that they would rather loose a limb rather than loose their minds, as shitty a choice it may be.
  9. A sweeping generalisation ................ you patronising ill informed prick. :razz:
  10. It isn't a sweeping generalisation as it happens. It's very difficult to cure completely, it's more about giving someone the coping mechanisms to deal with it and lessen the impact. However it can be effectively treated, but only if there are enough services to deal with it appropriately (the military is very good at dealing with this, the NHS less so).

It's a lot better than it was in that sense but still a long way off where it should be.

CC -Allegedly more people committed suicide than were injured from Op Corporate.

This 'statistic' came from the South Atlantic Association if I recall and has no evidence whatsoever to back it up. Even if it were true it takes no account into the many other reasons apart from PTSD why someone might take their own life and as notes are left in less than 50% of suicides it's impossible to know exactly why someone made the choice that they did.

It makes good press but it's a meaningless statement ultimately.
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Not Quit true, the NI and FI PTSD group action court case was blocked by the government

This High Court case was brought by soldiers who had developed psychiatric injuries (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) as a consequence of exposure to the stress and trauma of combat in Northern Ireland, Bosnia, the Falklands and the first Gulf War. Their case was not that they had been negligently exposed to the risk of psychiatric injury, rather it was that that their employer had failed to diagnose or to properly treat such illnesses. In deciding the case in the Ministry of Defence’s favour, Mr Justice Owen stated the following principles:

1) That a soldier does not owe a fellow soldier a duty of care in tort when either (one or both) are engaged with an enemy in the course of combat.

2) The Ministry of Defence is not under a duty to maintain a safe system of work for service personnel engaged with an enemy in the course of combat.

3) Combat included all active operations against an enemy, and covered attack and resistance, advance and retreat, pursuit and avoidance, reconnaissance and engagement. It also included anti-terrorist, policing and peacekeeping operations in which service personnel came under attack or the threat of attack. The immunity extended to the planning of and preparation for such operations, including decisions as to the deployment of resources.

In contrast to the above cases, where the claimant is a civilian injured as a result of MOD operations, a claim for personal injury can be fairly straightforward.

Citizens of foreign countries injured as a result of negligent and other unlawful acts of British service personnel stationed in those countries may also bring claims through the UK courts.
  12. Calm down Lootenant Dan FFS!

PTSD can mean a destroyed mind: sometimes beyond repair.
    Stepping on something that goes bang can be fixed with a bit of brufen and some tubigrip in the first instance, and then the person gets a nice leg from a mannequin (with no thought to how the mannequin feels about loosing a limb). FFS you can even get them colour coded to your exact skin colour or, if you have a penchant for fast cars etc, they will even give you one with carbon fibre bits, titanium rods and other gizmos.

And just to cheer you up: have a google at "regrowing human limbs". In another 10 years or so they will be able to grow back limbs by stopping the body forming scar tissue and instead growing new cells. 'Dingerr'? More like 'Whinger'. Still, imagine if you had kept within the cleared lane...