• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Big toe joint

Anyone every suffer anything similar?

The joint of my big toe with the rest of my foot seems to lock occasionally, best way I can describe it is a bit like a stubbed toe but in the joint and not as painful. It becomes difficult and uncomfortable to flex it.

It seems to happen more after running etc but could be driving or light walking.

Possibly like I’ve jarred it.

It is uncomfortable to walk on when it happens. And it is back to normal within an hour normally.

I don’t think it is painfully enough for gout and there is no redness or obvious swelling

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

The joint of my big toe with the rest of my foot seems to lock occasionally, best way I can describe it is a bit like a stubbed toe but in the joint and not as painful. It becomes difficult and uncomfortable to flex it.

It seems to happen more after running etc but could be driving or light walking.

It is uncomfortable to walk on when it happens. And it is back to normal within an hour normally.

I don’t think it is painfully enough for gout and there is no redness or obvious swelling
Sounds ominously gouty... Diclofenic is your friend - tell your doctor that I said so...

I had pain and stiffness in the joint of my big toe-- suffered it for years--googled,and appear to be gout/ arthritic.

Spoke to podiatrist in work------------ hallux rigidus--------joint removed and plate inserted.It was too far gone for lesser treatment.

Get it checked out.

I had a problem with stiff joints, apparently I was rolling them too tightly

And remember, gout isn’t only a boozer’s penance for drinking port or whisky.
MiL used to suffer dreadfully until she learned that prawns and some other shellfish were her trigger. Take professional advice.

ugly

LE
And remember, gout isn’t only a boozer’s penance for drinking port or whisky.
MiL used to suffer dreadfully until she learned that prawns and some other shellfish were her trigger. Take professional advice.
Mine was cold feet but I'm beginning to suspect something in my diet as well.

I know, you don't do port. But it could be a build up of something nasty so go see the medics.
The myth of Port and Gout - There is no evidence that red wine (or port in particular) is particularly bad for gout. Beer is though, being high in purines. To quote the Gout Society (from their leaflet "All about gout and diet") :

"Are some types of alcohol better than others?

A study has shown that the risk of developing gout is greater in even moderate regular beer drinkers than in those who drink equivalent amounts of alcohol in the form of spirits or wine. Gout was two and a half times more frequent in men who drink two bottles of beer a day while two glasses of wine daily was not associated with an increased risk of developing gout."

The myth of Port and Gout - There is no evidence that red wine (or port in particular) is particularly bad for gout. Beer is though, being high in purines. To quote the Gout Society (from their leaflet "All about gout and diet") :

A study has shown that the risk of developing gout is greater in even moderate regular beer drinkers than in those who drink equivalent amounts of alcohol in the form of spirits or wine. Gout was two and a half times more frequent in men who drink two bottles of beer a day while two glasses of wine daily was not associated with an increased risk of developing gout."
That's me knackered then. Then again, frostbite and immersion foot stuffed my left leg - I suppose that's what I get for going on Brenda's package holidays.

Possibly Sesamoiditis, there are two small bones under that joint that are embedded in the tendons to the big toe, they can get inflamed and cause pain and locking. As the others say, get it checked mate.

ugly

LE

Its all about triggers, my GP is a real nut on mens health and has sorted out my planter fasciitis my anterior compartment, bruised coccsis and is on top of my gout. The purines that create uric acid in your blood are present in all food, higher in some vegetables than meat but its wat triggers the outbreaks. I was starting to get the symptoms again and heave decided to remove items from my diet for a week at a time and see if that helps, obviously at the moment its not the cold which triggered the first outbreak. Its something you learn to live with and manage or get the one a day pill for the rest of your life.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Gout?
Either that or poor circulation.

Get it checked.
Definitely not gout, not with those symptoms.
Gout makes the joint swell, it feels hot to the touch, causes reddening and is extremely painful and tender and will not go away within an hour. In fact it will take about a week to go away even with drugs.
I thank the Lord daily for allopurinol which somehow regulates the purines and allows me to get on with my life. Before I discovered this remarkable drug I was in so much pain it was truly awful.

Last edited:
I suffer from Hallux Rigidus ( probable cause foot was stamped on in a footy match years ago) and 3 or 4 years ago it started to become a real mobility problem - I was getting severe pain which was lasting several weeks at a time.
Spotted an article in a broadsheet last autumn suggesting Statins exacerbate the symptoms of arthritic joint pain in the extremities.
Spoke to the doc stopped the Statins in Jan and have been virtually pain free since. Now back on a low dose of Statins which is so far so good !!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Krazy_Ivan Health and Fitness 63
greyfergie The NAAFI Bar 73
T Health and Fitness 17