Big Problem.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by force, May 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, am new on here and I have a bit bit of a problem.
    I have applied to B Coy 4Para with the intention of going regular if I was any good.
    Upon application I told them I had a conviction for dangerous driving :oops: and that I was on a ban for 18months anyway passed my medical, BARB, TARS weekend have been attested and have now been told I cant be accepted until my ban is spent :? What can I do? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. Im suprised that you were attested and then told you couldnt be accepted, but alas I dont think there is much you can do. My understanding was you cannot be accepted anywhere until all convictions have been spent.

Serves you right for being a homicidal maniac behind the wheels :D

3. Thought that might be the case :( , thanks Suits_u

4. Mate im not exactly what could be described as an authority on the issue.
    However I know of some lads who were told to try again once their convictions were spent, which they did and are now serving members of the TA.
    That is why Im surprised that you were attested first and then told to come back. Seems odd, but keep the faith, some one with more knowledge may be able to help you further. Good luck mate.

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

When you say "told them", did you tell the WO2 recruiter who controls the application process, or one of the others who would have been doing the briefing, walking you round etc? Was it clearly declared on the application paperwork? This is not the sort of thing the WO2 misses.

When your conviction is spent, give it another crack.

6. I know thats what I thought, I have been coming down from Leicester to London quite a few times too. Though I suppose rules is rules. Going to try a few more avenues, probably lodge an appeal against the ban and hope for the the best. Thanks again for the help.

7. Yes it was the WO2 the whole time and yes it is on my application clearly stating this. All declared, I even spoke with him about it. Also was attested yesterday and told the bad news this morning.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

PM me your details if you want and I will look into it for you.

9. Also Just thinking I know its a bit cheeky but considering I have signed on the dotted line and everything is done, is possible for them to backtrack now? Surely after attestation its too late?

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Right, mystery solved.

Force did indeed declare his unspent conviction at initial application. The WO2 recruiter sought advice about whether this would be a bar to his joining and was told (incorrectly) that it should not be and to proceed with the application.

Force then did TARS etc, and once he passed the recruiter this morning tried to push his application through on TRHJ. At this point the "computer said no". The recruiter informed Force, advised him of his options (including regular service), and said that if all else fails he would be welcomed back once his convictions are spent.

Unfortunate that the poor advice given to the recruiter gave Force false hope, but ultimately his application has not been prejudiced - he would never have been allowed to join and has just had more of an insight into the recruiting system than he should have had. An appeal will not be accepted.

Mystery over, there is nothing to see here....move along.....

11. Indeed. Many thanks Duke!

12. Can I ask is it once the driving ban is spent or the conviction is spent?

Just incase im asked this in the future!