Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Big Pay Rise This April??

With the cry of 'No new money' ringing in the ears, one suspects that any above inflation pay rise will have to be balanced against cuts elsewhere. The accommodation issue, an inability to recruit (enough) and a clamour for us to do still more (with less - 6 Div? Do me a favour!) suggests that a bigger slice for new entrants and a sweetner to demonstrate how much we are 'valued' by the Nation may be on the cards but it will be at the expense of a few Typhoon, a carrier or (we can only hope) a scaling down of the UK's nuclear deterrant or all of the above. Not surprising therefore that the boys in blue are trying to raise their profile in order to demonstrate how invaluable they are to Defence. Only 2 ships to defend the UK mainland? Sounds plenty to me!

a staggered pay rise is a bugger for anyone coming to the end of their 22 years, the 2nd half of the rise wont be taken into account for your pension if your end date comes first. (just been on the 'Im getting out soon' resettlement Pensions brief)

Filbert Fox said:
a staggered pay rise is a bugger for anyone coming to the end of their 22 years, the 2nd half of the rise wont be taken into account for your pension if your end date comes first. (just been on the 'Im getting out soon' resettlement Pensions brief)

One of the Ministers (can't remember which one) is on record for praising this Government for not phasing in any of the pay rises and in the same breath, he criticised the last Conservative Government for having done so!

So, phasing is out..... but this is a bunch of politicians!

Litotes

Bank of England has recommended pay rises in the public sector of no more than 2.4%. This is to keep inflation under control!!!!!

Litotes said:
One of the Ministers (can't remember which one) is on record for praising this Government for not phasing in any of the pay rises and in the same breath, he criticised the last Conservative Government for having done so!

also mentioned on the brief was the fact that this govt had 'tested the water' on phasing by actually doing it with a part of the public sector last year, this was thought by all to indicate the probably implimentation of it nation wide in the near future.

Trust the government! no chance, George Bush Snr 'Read my lips, no new taxes' in 1988 followed by a shed load in 1990, this evidence of Bush's untrustworthiness ultimately contributed to him losing his bid for re-election. If only all of Blair and his gangs lies would send them all on their way too.

Filbert Fox said:
Litotes said:

also mentioned on the brief was the fact that this govt had 'tested the water' on phasing by actually doing it with a part of the public sector last year, this was thought by all to indicate the probably implimentation of it nation wide in the near future.

Trust the government! no chance, George Bush Snr 'Read my lips, no new taxes' in 1988 followed by a shed load in 1990, this evidence of Bush's untrustworthiness ultimately contributed to him losing his bid for re-election. If only all of Blair and his gangs lies would send them all on their way too.

Actually, the Government is testing the phasing in of pay rises on the MOD Civil Service; pay rise was due in August.... a small rise (well below the rate of inflation) was announced in December, still not agreed with the unions (and there's a surprise) by January. Payment when?

So, I guess we will follow where others lead....?

Litotes

I await the rise with baited breath and expect no more than an insulting 3% due to inflation etc etc. Bollocks if you ask me and as said many times before the rises in accom, food etc expected at about 4% unless they get pressure from the media before hand just expect to bend over and take it like a man.
2007 another year to be shafted JUST SMILE AND TAKE IT!!!!!

Just spoken to my man in the cabinet who spoke to his chap in the treasury. You are getting a pay rise- Rocking Horse poo as much as 3.56%.

I know I saw a statement from the Spring CGS Briefing note quoting the fact that they have secured a 6% pay rise for 2007 - for the lowest of ranks. Didnt mention what the seniors would get.

I personally agree to the lower ranks getting the best rise this year - after all its those chaps who are doing the 18 hour days in the sandpit, patrolling and on stag and in the line of fire. They are the ones on minimum wage and below - when you work out their hourly rate of pay.

Unfortunately will 6% of peanuts keep our toms in?

HEINZ-57 said:
I know I saw a statement from the Spring CGS Briefing note quoting the fact that they have secured a 6% pay rise for 2007...........

Wouldnt that be nice..

However for the last 5 years the AFPRB have made it clear that their intention is to increase the rates for MQ charges - to a comparable level of private rental!!

The 2006 AFPRB report states that their target date to acheive this is 2009.

Extract from the Report:
Para 5.25:
Our approach is to achieve broad comparability in accommodation rental charges but with a discount to take account of the disadvantages of living in Service accommodation. During 2005, our independent assessment of the civilian housing market shows that Service rental charges for the highest grade SFA, and SLA, continue to be significantly below costs in the civilian sector even before the discount is considered. This is most evident for SFA. Additionally, we note that, as a result of noticeable changes in the cost of heating and lighting due to the increased cost of
utilities, all Service personnel, regardless of their rank or type of accommodation which they occupy, will experience an increase in their accommodation charges irrespective of our recommendations.

So charges will go up considerably this year and next year. Great.

The 2007 report should lay out the what discount they see as applicable to MQs vs Civvie Rental. Should make for interesting reading....

Irrespective for those of us in MQs - stand by to be shafted.