Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Big Pay Rise This April??

Wouldn't say 3.3% was a good deal. Accn charges and all the other hidden charges have yet to be annouced. Being a cynic I can see this rise being a deficit by the time all comes out in the wash. Brown BLiar and all the labour yes men need to be got rid of at the earliest opportunity. Nurses doctors etc may have a split award but it still equates to 3.9% with no charges to be taken into consideration.

JPA_SAYS_NO said:
So it's 3.3%, I wonder whether that will be split into two raises throughout the year like all the other public sector workers?

No mate, as already stated in this thread - the armed forces increase will be 'IN FULL'.

SP

Snagglepuss said:
JPA_SAYS_NO said:
So it's 3.3%, I wonder whether that will be split into two raises throughout the year like all the other public sector workers?

No mate, as already stated in this thread - the armed forces increase will be 'IN FULL'.

SP

Fair one but, the BBC link says it will be in full but does not state how much, where as the FT link states the rate but not whether it will be staggered. Two different sources each not giving the full picture, you are probably right, I just didn't like to assume given the standard of our media...

biscuits said:
Just found this
http://www.4ni.co.uk/nationalnews.asp?ID=48434

The Defence Secretary John Reid has announced an above-inflation pay rise for every member of the British armed forces.

The basic military salary for all privates, lance corporals and the equivalent ranks on the lower pay range in the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force will increase by 3.3% following a recommendation from the Armed Forces' Pay Review Body (AFPRB).
All other ranks and commissioned officers in the Regular and Reserve Armed Forces will get a 3% pay rise.

So either he was telling the truth, or lying. I cannot believe a member of that nice Mr Bliar's administration would lie!

Mine's a double!

Biscuits. Read the date on that website. Does 2006 sound like last year to you? And John Reid the Defence Secretary? Does "Des Brown" ring a bell?

13,000 of the most lowest paid servicemen and women will see their pay rise by 9.2% - over £100 per month - under the Armed Forces's Pay Review Body Award 2007, announced today, Thursday 1 March 2007.

It is the biggest pay rise for four years and the highest of the public sector pay rises announced today.

A further 6,000 on the next-lowest pay level will get 6.2%. There is good news too for all other ranks and officers, regulars and reserves, who will receive a 3.3% increase. This increase will take effect from 1 April 2007.

The most senior officers (Major-Generals and equivalents and above) will receive a 2% increase, as recommended by the independent review body and in line with overall increases in public sector pay.

thats not bad at the moment due to the pay 2000 bollox as a warrant I am paid less than a SSgt in same trade.

Be good to know the Pte will soon be overtaking me.

9 -5 thats what the job is going to become for me.

:shakefist:

jimmys_best_mate said:
£2.54 a day rise - I assume my MQ will be going up by at least £2.60 a day then? It's probably just enough to push me into the next tax band too...

How very very cynical. I am sure it will only rise by 2.52. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen a 2p payrise. :thumbdown:

chieftiff said:
wrinkles said:
BBC reporting pay rise below inflation target of 2%, its 1.9% paid in full 1 Apr for Forces and staged for all other public sector workers

Hmmmmm! that's different to the FT:
Brown announces below-inflation pay rises
By Ben Hall, Political Correspondent

Published: March 1 2007 12:39 | Last updated: March 1 2007 12:39

More than 1m public sector workers are to receive average pay increases of 1.9 per cent this year, well below consumer price inflation which stands at 2.7 per cent, Gordon Brown told the Commons on Thursday.

Pay rises for doctors, nurses, prisons officers and senior civil servants are to be staged, with a 1.7 per cent increase from April and a 2.2 per cent increase from November, producing an average of 1.9 per cent for the year.

Members of the armed forces, except senior officers, will receive inflation-busting rises of 3.3 per cent for the year.
Mr Brown has repeatedly called for public sector pay increases to fall in line with the Bank of England’s 2 per cent inflation target.

His decision to stage the increases for public sector workers comes at a politically sensitive time, given the recent surge in inflation, now slowing, and the role of the public service unions in a possible Labour leadership election this year.

Government departments will give further detail of the rises for their staff later on Thursday.

The pay review bodies that recommend rises for public sector workers are understood to have proposed increases of less than 2.7 per cent but more than 2 per cent.

The staging of the increases underscores the chancellor’s determination to prevent a wage-price spiral and to make life easier for the Bank’s monetary policy committee, which sets interest rates.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2007

"Inflation busting rise of 3.3%...."?

That depends upon which inflation index you choose. The R(eal)PI or the C(hancellor's)PI!

Litotes

The lowest pay band privates getting 9.2% well done

The higher ones getting 6.3% well done

SNCO's getting 3.3%!!!!!!! What, are we not worth as much as the rest, while I welcome the pay rises for the lower ranks what about us!!! We're the ones keeping the forces running implementing half arsed ideas from the top brass, time to go fellas!!!

fishhead said:
The lowest pay band privates getting 9.2% well done

The higher ones getting 6.3% well done

SNCO's getting 3.3%!!!!!!! What, are we not worth as much as the rest, while I welcome the pay rises for the lower ranks what about us!!! We're the ones keeping the forces running implementing half arsed ideas from the top brass, time to go fellas!!!

Sorry mate, dont agree at all, I think 3.3% for us is 'fair' in comparison to the rest of the public sector announcements made today. We could have got 1.9, or it could have been staggered as suggested.
Not brilliant, but it could have been much worse, and I am VERY happy to see the lowest band privates getting a significant rise.
A pretty shocked
SP